Giant TCR Composite vs De Rosa vs Colnago

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by RossB, Sep 24, 2003.

1. RossB

RossB New Member

I'm giving some thought to buying a CF bike and am tempted to go all the way: the Colnago C-40 or De Rosa King, both with full Record, of course.

There's no doubt that both are great bikes. However, a little voice in my head keeps saying that with both of those bikes, a big part of the cost is the name on the frame. That little voice is telling me to buy a Giant TCR composite with new Dura Ace. A Giant/DA bike would cost roughly half the price of a De Rosa/Colnago. That's a huge saving. I also have a strong suspicion that the Giant will be at least 98% as good as the Italian bikes, but will just lack a bit of street cred in comparison.

I've ridden the Giant before and it is a good fit, so that will not be an issue. It really seems to be the old head vs heart debate.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how a Giant would compare to a C-40 or King?

Ross

Tags:

2. patch70

patch70 New Member

No doubt the Colnago or the De Rosa are better bikes but whether they are worth the extra cash is debatable. Depends on what you value and how much you are willing to spend.
    There are options in between. For example, the Bianchi XL Carbon, the Wilier Karbon, the Scott carbon etc... I would rate these more highly than the Giant but that is just my bias. I have the Bianchi and it is awesome. Since I bought mine, nearly all the guys at my LBS have got one too and are also extremely impressed.

3. mtndog

mtndog New Member

I tested the Giant carbon and really am impressed--hope to purchase the frameset in the next month. It's quick/responsive, stiff in accelerating but not harsh and the compact design makes the bike disappear underneath you. Check out Chris Boardman's review of the DeRosa King carbon bike in the February 2003 issue of Procycling magazine, "sitting outside a trendy street cafe in Rome (after my 8 km bike ride) this would be my bike of choice. It would be certain to turn the heads of my rich and possibly portly cycling buddies..." ...."this machine has not compromised beauty for function.... it looks fantastic and will stand scrutiny, but if you are looking for depth of character, you're in the wrong place."
    The Bianchi is nice, probably made in the same factory as Giant, but a heavier bike. Note: the Giant is monocoque whereas the DeRosa is not. Good luck.

4. patch70

patch70 New Member

Also, the Look KG381i is a great bike.
    And of course there are the Treks...
    I doubt the Bianchi & Giant are made in the same factory given that they are made in different continents.

5. Bripeters

Bripeters New Member

Hello..I would also recommend checking out the Eddy Merckx Carbon GX2. This is one heck of a bike. Eddy is notorious for putting alot of thought into geomentry...plus its Tour tested!

6. patch70

patch70 New Member

The Merckx is in the same price category as the Colnago & the De Rosa. i.e. sell your house first! All fantastic bikes though.

7. RossB

RossB New Member

Thanks for the comments, guys. I know there are lots of great bikes at these prices, but I was really attracted to the Colnago because it is almost universally regarded as the best bike currently (and widely) available, and the De Rosa because it is a work of art. The Giant, on the other hand, is a great ride at a great price, and since I'm not really into conspicuous consumption (and I'd rather impress other cyclists by passing them, not because I have a pretty bike), I think the Giant is looking good.