Giant TCR Composite

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gregg

I am looking at a Giant TCR Composite bike and was wondering what the pros and cons are of the
Compact Road Design as compared to the traditional frame geometry.

thanks

On Thu, 3 Apr 2003 20:00:53 -0500, "Gregg" <no###@xcite.com> wrote:

I just bought one without even test riding it (weather been total **** here in Ottawa Canada). I
looked at everything and asked a million questions in various forums. Bottom line if it fits you
(and the Giant TCR is supposed to be quite easy to fit people with 7 seat post lengths and 3 stem
lengths) and you want a fast bike that's comfortable over bumpy and rougher surfaces, and want
handling and speed, there is not much to compete with in its price range. Its not a touring bike.

Since Giant only made 2000 frames for 2003, there are very few of these babies left and word is
there will not be anymore until the 2004 season. In other words if your LBS has one and you think
you might want it don't wait too long because you may find that there are none left.

Trek 5200 competes with it (about 300-400 bucks more though) and many prefer the Giant Composite
technology, although the Trek is proven.

>I am looking at a Giant TCR Composite bike and was wondering what the pros and cons are of the
>Compact Road Design as compared to the traditional frame geometry.
>
>thanks

no###<< I am looking at a Giant TCR Composite bike and was wondering what the pros and cons are of
the Compact Road Design as compared to the traditional frame geometry.

For a normal sized rider there really are no advanages to compact. All the advantages are with the
manufacturer that saves money by making only a few(4?) framesets instead of many.

Weight savings are erased as you put a long seat post in. Fit can be an issue, for larger riders, as
raising the seatpost may not provide enough setback to get you knee in the proper place.

Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

>I looked at everything and asked a million questions in various forums. Bottom line if it fits
>you (and the Giant TCR is supposed to be quite easy to fit people with 7 seat post lengths and 3
>stem lengths)

Personally I have never met anyone with 7 seat posts and 3 stems. <g>

As far as the original question is concerned, this has been beat to death over the last year.

The bottom line is that if the bike fits and it is comfortable, rides OK right, then its probably a
go. With only three sizes, getting a good fit may be a problem regardless of what Giant would have
you believe.

No great advantages to the design, just a different set of compromises that end up hitting the
target in about the same place.

jon isaacs

Status
Not open for further replies.