Giant TCR CW opinions and spec choices

hmronnow

Aug 12, 2006
Hello,

I'm helping my mother to buy a really nice road-bike but with a flatbar.
We are looking at the Giant TCR CW in size XS, and plan to equip it with a flatbar. Below are the proposed specs. I would be grateful to hear opinions on proposed setup, and alternatives both complete and for individual components.

First some specfic questions:
1) Is the WTB Devo sadle a good womans sadle for recreational cycling with relatively upright position?

2) What is a good combi pedal allowing both clipped-shoes and normal shoes?
The BBB BPD-21 and Shimano PD-M324 have SPD on one side and normal pedal on the other. Are there other solutions to consider?

3) What is good setup of flat handlebar, short-and-high stem, shifters, brake-levers and bar-ends for a small woman, working on shimano ultegra components?

4) Since we need to get relatively upright postion, we need a short upwards pointing stem. Any suggestions for nice-looking not too heavy choice?

5) How does following 165mm compact cranksets rank:
a) Shimano R700 (weight 870g, $260 ?)
b) Gossamer 34/50 (weight 897g, $140 ?)
c) FSA SL-K light (weight 710g, price ?)
The weird grey color chainring of the shimano compact does not match rest of bike. Do you have suggestion for compact 34/50 crankset that looks good with a black-and-white frame?

6) Are the Mavic Aksium Race good wheels? At weight of 1980g, they seem a bit heavy in particular for a small rider on a small bike - opinions/alternatives?

7) The local bike shop has many parts from a company called BBB (www.bbbparts.com). I hadn't hear of it before. Are these good components?

Proposed setup:
Bike: Giant TCR CW size XS (43cm)
Frame: T700 carbon composite
Fork: T700 carbon with alu steerer
Seat post: Guant C7 carbon
Saddle: WTB Devo Carbon
Gears: Shimano Ultegra 34/50, 12-25
Brakes: Shimano Ultegra
Wheels: Mavic Aksium
Handlebar: BBB Fiberlite (165g)
Shifters: not sure (Shimano SL-770 ?)
Brake-levers: not sure
Stem: need short pointing ~45 degrees up - suggestions?

Background:
My mother is 60, short and has trouble bending the neck too much upwards (hence the flatbar, which allows more upright position without having to bend the neck upwards). Objective is having great 10-30 km rides e.g. to and from work, which in principle means no need for excessive components. On other hand, she doesn't have any other expensive hobies, so willing to pay also just for the satisfaction of having a really nice bicycle, which at end of the day helps motivate to use it.

Thanks a lot,
Henrik