Giant TCR frame size question

sugs

Mar 3, 2004
Hi everybody

Just found this site so hopefully I'm posting this on the correct forum.

I'm very keen to buy a Giant TCR1 Composite, and this is my first compact bike. The problem I have is trying to figure out is whether I need a Large or Medium frame and because I'm visiting the frozen wilds of Canada, I'm unable to go out on a road test. The Giant brochure lists the cutoff at 5ft 11in, which typically is exactly my height. Sitting on the bikes in the shop, the Medium feels a slightly better fit than the Large, but I'm worried about making the wrong call and not realising until I hit the road back in the UK. (I'm keen to buy the bike here in Canada as the price is good due to the exchange rate.)

My question is to anyone of a similar size who has ridden either or both frames, or to anyone who feels they can advise me on which one they would go for. Any comments or suggestions will be really appreciated. Thanks,

Sugs

Originally posted by sugs
Hi everybody

Just found this site so hopefully I'm posting this on the correct forum.

I'm very keen to buy a Giant TCR1 Composite, and this is my first compact bike. The problem I have is trying to figure out is whether I need a Large or Medium frame and because I'm visiting the frozen wilds of Canada, I'm unable to go out on a road test. The Giant brochure lists the cutoff at 5ft 11in, which typically is exactly my height. Sitting on the bikes in the shop, the Medium feels a slightly better fit than the Large, but I'm worried about making the wrong call and not realising until I hit the road back in the UK. (I'm keen to buy the bike here in Canada as the price is good due to the exchange rate.)

My question is to anyone of a similar size who has ridden either or both frames, or to anyone who feels they can advise me on which one they would go for. Any comments or suggestions will be really appreciated. Thanks,

Sugs
Height only has a little bit to do with it asuming adequate standover. TT length and your upper body length are far more imortant.A good fitter with you on a trainer should be able to tell you.Eeveryone here would just be guessing.I don't have one one becasue I'm between sizes, know what I need and don't want to try and deal with it.

well, im 5'7" and i ride a medium, and the guy that had it before me was 5'11" and he said it was just right. he had a really high up seatpost though, and a longer stem than i wanted, i had to change those, but you probably could use the medium, not positive though. and it has 172.5 crank arms... just some info, not sure it will help or not.

I was checking out a Giant TCR 1 (not composite) recently and the guy in the shop seemed to think I'd be better off with a large (I'm 6' tall). The composite and non-composite TCR frames have similar geometry so hopefully this is a reasonable guideline.

Thanks for your feedback guys. As Boudreaux says a spin on the trainer is a good indicator (which I did yesterday), but it's useful to get some feedback from those who have had a go on the road. The dealer pro told me there was a degree of overlap tolerance between the frames, made possible by the 'compact-frame' philosophy. I'm no expert in this subject, so it's good to hear general opinions from you guys, as your guesses are probably more informed than mine. At the moment I'm going for the Medium and will probably commit tomorrow. Thanks again for your time.

Sugs