Giant Tcr M/l, Is It Fits Me ?

Karimsaleh9005

Jun 6, 2015
I am (172 cm - 5'7) inseam (87 - 34")

Can I ride giant TCR composite 3 size M/L and change the stem to 8cm or something ?

It's the last one in my local bike shop

Thanks .

Are your legs really longer than 50% of your total height? If that's correct, I'm going to say it might work with a shorter stem. I wouldn't jump on it until I tried a medium, though, Does the dealer have another TCR model in medium that you could try for fit?

For comparison, I'm 183 cm with an 89 cm inseam, and a M/L TCR was the best fitting bike I ever rode (with 175 mm cranks and 13 cm stem). The geometry hasn't changed in over 7 years, but the frame construction is vastly improved.

Reactions: Karimsaleh9005
Karimsaleh9005 said:
I tried TCR 1 compact size M and it fits me well.
But no other sizes are available for TCR composite 3.
If I were in you shoes, then, I'd probably hold out for a medium. Nothing causes more ****ling doubt than thinking you might have bought a bike that doesn't fit. Sure, you can make the M/L fit (sort of) with stem-swapping and saddle twiddling, but nothing feels so good under you as a bike that fits just right.

I'm surprised your dealer can't order the right TCR for you, or get one from another shop, or refer you to another shop. The season isn't that old.

Reactions: Pax
Competitive Cyclist has a fit calculator, http://www.competitivecyclist.com/Store/catalog/fitCalculatorBike.jsp, that is pretty comprehensive, but given your leg length, is likely to spec out a bike with dimensions that would only be possible in full custom. You'll have to decide whether you want "French" fit, "Eddy" fit, or "competitive" fit, too. French is trad 50s and 60s race posture, Eddy lowers and extends the bar for a flatter back a la Merckx and Moser in the 70s and just about everybody in the 80s. Competitive fit drops the bar more and brings it in, the way racers have been sitting for the last decade. I'm pretty much an Eddy..

Another possibility would be to consider a bike with similar head tube height as the M/L Giant but a shorter top tube. I'm thinking specifically of a 56 cm Trek Emonda or Madone. Also, a comfort, ahem, endurance, geometry could get you a shorter top tube and a taller head tube. I'm thinking here of a M/L Giant Defy or 56 Trek Domane.

Consider your arm length, too. Long arms generally indicate that you can reach lower and farther out, but mostly lower. I'm on a 58 Madone these days, with a low-angle 12 cm stem slammed. Long arms.

I'm 5'7" with 31 inch inseam. I am on a Med. The small felt tiny even though the size chart says I should be a small. My old bike, a 52 cm Greg Lemond has the same 55cm top tube though so I was used to that reach, but I still have a bit of neck strain. I wonder if I should have gone Small, but I couldn't pass up the Carbon wheelset. So we adjust.