Giant TCR or Merlin Agilis

peterwright

Mar 5, 2003
I currently ride a TCR composite with record. i have the opportunity to trade for an agilis frame that is 2 years old. I would then transfer all my kit across. I am quite tempted. Any advice or thoughts on this.

I have always wanted to ride titanium and the agilis looks to be a good frame to suit my riding style. I race competitively every weekend and train maybe 8/9 hours / week.

Thanks

Peter

Originally posted by peterwright
I currently ride a TCR composite with record. i have the opportunity to trade for an agilis frame that is 2 years old. I would then transfer all my kit across. I am quite tempted. Any advice or thoughts on this.

I have always wanted to ride titanium and the agilis looks to be a good frame to suit my riding style. I race competitively every weekend and train maybe 8/9 hours / week.

Thanks

Peter
Will it make you faster? Will it be stiff enough for your size and weight?

Peter, I test rode the TCR composite but ended up buying the Kestrel Talon, a bike which is as stiff as the TCR. I also own a '98 Litespeed Catalyst which is now called Tuscany. And I have test ride a 2004 Tuscany and it is stiffer than my '98 Catalyst.

Having said all that, and knowing that manufacturer can do a lot of things to Ti to change its characteristics, my guess is that the 2004 Tuscany is closely resemble in responsiveness/stiffness to the Merlin. Keep in mind that the Tuscany has a beefy down tube compare to the Merlin.

For racing, like you do, I would think that you would want a stiff bike that doesn't rob you of power transfer. For this reason I would think that your TCR composite is better suited for racing.

Bu as far as pure riding joy, all roundroad bike, if you have a nice sets of stiff wheels, I would much prefer the ride quality of the Merlin. My Catalyst with a set of stiff wheel is a joy to ride.

I rode a Merlin at one stage and thought it was the worst bike I have ever ridden...It was an alluminium, not sure of the model of it but the flexing was ridiculous. The Irish National Team ride them and at the end of the 2002 season I think about 3 of them cracked after about 6 months, not from crashes but from wear. Id say stick with what you have....the grass is always greener on the other side and all that!

Roche said:
I rode a Merlin at one stage and thought it was the worst bike I have ever ridden...It was an alluminium, not sure of the model of it but the flexing was ridiculous. The Irish National Team ride them and at the end of the 2002 season I think about 3 of them cracked after about 6 months, not from crashes but from wear. Id say stick with what you have....the grass is always greener on the other side and all that!
You're an idiot. First of all, learn how to spell aluminum. Next, realize that Merlin has never manufactured an aluminum frame, and never will. Also realize that if a Merlin Ti frame were to break, Merlin will replace it immediately and without hassle. Can you name one Merlin owner who was not happy with their bike? I doubt it.

Hey ti-guy, maybe before you try calling someone out as an idiot, you should look as yourself... this thread was posted in 2004.

ti-guy said:
You're an idiot. First of all, learn how to spell aluminum. Next, realize that Merlin has never manufactured an aluminum frame, and never will. Also realize that if a Merlin Ti frame were to break, Merlin will replace it immediately and without hassle. Can you name one Merlin owner who was not happy with their bike? I doubt it.
Well since this thread has been opened, I'll add my 2 cents worth. I believe that Merlin & Litespeed are both sisters under the American Bicycle Group and both are really offering some light models these days. I have lots of bikes including 3 in CF (OK, 5 yr old plus technology) but my #1 ride is my Litespeed Ultimate on the roads and my Litespeed Unicoi on the trails. CF is the rage these days but Ti is forever:)