Giant TCR Zero v. Trek Madone

petsol

Jul 26, 2006
I am looking at upgrading from my Trek 1500 (which I have been very happy with) to a carbon frame. The Giant TCR 0 seems to be well priced at about $5k AUS compared to the equivalent Trek. The Giant comes will full Dura Ace gear, where the Trek would set me back an extra $1k or more to get into Dura Ace. How much different is the quality of the two frames? I am drawn to these to makes as they offer lifetime guarantee on frames. Can anyone out there over some pointers about which is the better bike?

petsol said:
I am looking at upgrading from my Trek 1500 (which I have been very happy with) to a carbon frame. The Giant TCR 0 seems to be well priced at about $5k AUS compared to the equivalent Trek. The Giant comes will full Dura Ace gear, where the Trek would set me back an extra $1k or more to get into Dura Ace. How much different is the quality of the two frames? I am drawn to these to makes as they offer lifetime guarantee on frames. Can anyone out there over some pointers about which is the better bike?
I dont think Giant offer lifetime warranties on their frames. In Australia i think its 5 years.
Trek definetely do offer a lifetime warranty.

I don't know about Australia, but here in the US, yes, Giant does back their frames and forks with a lifetime warranty.

petsol said:

Tough choice but i have more than few reviews on the Giant Frames that have said they don't ride well. Even Jan Ullrich has been noted as not being happy with the bikes handling.

Test rides will let you know which you prefer the feel of.

petsol said:
For 5k AUD, I would be looking at the GIANT TCR Advanced with 10 speed ultegra, this is Giant best frame in Australia, lighter than the TCR Composite frame used in the TCR Zero, shorter wheel base for much faster and precise handling, stiffer than most high end frames. Given the new models are starting to trickle in I've seen these advertised for about $4.5k AUD, whereas the RRP is closer to $5.5k AUD.

http://www.innercitycycles.com.au/specials.htm

mod_tcr_advanced.jpg

Thanks for that. As fate would have it I had decided to look at the Advanced with Ultegra on the basis of the better frame and that the Ultegra seems to be a more durable groupset for my use of the machine...

kleng said:
For 5k AUD, I would be looking at the GIANT TCR Advanced with 10 speed ultegra, this is Giant best frame in Australia, lighter than the TCR Composite frame used in the TCR Zero, shorter wheel base for much faster and precise handling, stiffer than most high end frames. Given the new models are starting to trickle in I've seen these advertised for about $4.5k AUD, whereas the RRP is closer to $5.5k AUD.

http://www.innercitycycles.com.au/specials.htm

mod_tcr_advanced.jpg

petsol said:
Thanks for that. As fate would have it I had decided to look at the Advanced with Ultegra on the basis of the better frame and that the Ultegra seems to be a more durable groupset for my use of the machine...
Petsol,

I don't think you can go wrong with this choice, Giant quality control is extremely high on this frame given its their top of the range frame, attention to detail is outstanding (from race number plug down to retaining ridges on fork and rear drop-outs, preventing the wheel from coming out when the quick release opens accidentally). Riding qualities such as super stiffness (from compact geometry and tight rear triangel) and very quick precise handling (due to super short wheelbase) will take some getting use to. The frame lightness will allow you to use lower gearing and climb much faster for the same physical effort. The Ultegra components are every bit as good as Dura-ace and the from a crankset point of view it is actually stiffer than the Dura-ace chain saw. I have a TCR Advanced Team 2006 myself and I extremely happy with it.

Best of luck