giant TCR2/ is it any good?

gmmcfd

Jan 28, 2004
i am considering a GIANT TCR2 versus "anything" else. does anybody have any feelings about this carbon frame bike/ ultegra components for 2000$.
thanks

The 2004 Giant TCR-Composite2 is an absolutely sensational bike that would have to be one of the best value for money carbon fibre bikes out on the market, and it's got Ultegra!

I myself have a 2003 Giant TCR-Composite1, which is the exact equivalent of the one you mention.

The only thing I would recommend is looking into a different wheelset if you are 85+kg (e.g. Mavic CXP's or Mavic Open Pro's), as people above this weight have found the Shimano 540 wheelset to flex a bit on descents - going downhill.
But otherwise on the flat etc, they are fine - a light, aerodynamic wheel.

and for $2000... you cannot go wrong with this bike!
Just make sure you get the right frame size.

Not the same as the 2003 TCR 1 as stated above.

For 2004 they have kept the price down on the TCR 2 by going to an carbon fprk with an alloy steerer tube vs. the full carbon fork used on all composite frames in 2003.

That is just a small difference though.

Originally posted by ewitz
Not the same as the 2003 TCR 1 as stated above.

For 2004 they have kept the price down on the TCR 2 by going to an carbon fprk with an alloy steerer tube vs. the full carbon fork used on all composite frames in 2003.

That is just a small difference though.

I think you will find its the other way round

giants old forks were carbon alloy but the new slim profile fork is all carbon.

From Giants website. 2004 Giant TCR Composite 2 specs.

fork Giant Composite Areo, 1 1/8" w/alloy steerer

The new slim fork legs were introduced on the 2003 composite frames and were spec'ed only as full carbon forks.

I have been told that Giants mass produce thier frames and slam them all togeather. I would go for somthing like the trek 2300 or Trek just came out with a 5000 with oclv frame with combo 105 and ultegra.