Giant Triple - rear derailleur setup?

pendle64

Jul 5, 2007
Hi fellow cyclists
I have a Giant OCR Road Bike which has a Triple (as standard). Everything is running okay, except I am ascending a small hill and on the middle ring (front) and the Top sprocket on the rear (ie the one nearest to the wheel hub) and as I am pedalling I can hear the spoke(s) catching the flywheels (I think it is the fly wheels, the two tiny cogs under the rear derailleur). As soon as I change to the next sprocket on the rear it stops. Also, it doesnt happen on the granny ring when I am on the top sprocket (and obviously I am not going to be on the outer front ring and the rear top sprocket).

Is it a case of the cable being stretched (I turned the adjuster screw at the rear derailleur end anti-clockwise and that seemed to make it worse, then back clockwise and it just more or less made it the same as it was originally).

I have replaced a front mech myself on the bike with no probs and can do all the cables on my mountain bike. However, the rear seems to hold an air of complexity to me on this ... or am I just being a wuss?

Is it a stretched cable problem? How would you set about solving it?

Many thanks

Tony :eek:

Thank you to both posts.

The weather has been so dreadful, and I MEAN dreadful, that I havent had chance to experiment.

Will do, when it stops raining cats and dogs and mice and horses.

Tony ;)