Giant US Geometry vs World

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Jef, Feb 2, 2005.

  1. Jef

    Jef Guest

    I'm looking to buy a Giant OCR1 road bike. I'm curious as to why the
    specs on the US bikes reference a compact geometry vs the world sites
    as having a semi-sloping top tub. Is Giant moving away from the
    Compact Geometry and they have yet to release these bikes to the US?

    Tags:

  2. Jef wrote:
    > I'm looking to buy a Giant OCR1 road bike. I'm curious as to why the
    > specs on the US bikes reference a compact geometry vs the world sites
    > as having a semi-sloping top tub. Is Giant moving away from the
    > Compact Geometry and they have yet to release these bikes to the US?

    I think that the U.S. site is showing the 2004 models, while the world
    site is showing the 2005 models. They are probably trying to dump the
    rest of last years production.

    I heard that at Interbike that most manufacturers are moving away from
    the compact frame design, because it hasn't been popular, costing them a
    lot more in lost sales than they saved in production costs. However if
    the manufacturer has a lot of stock of the compact frames, they have to
    get rid of them prior to moving back to a more standard geometry.

  3. Diablo Scott

    Diablo Scott Guest

    Jef wrote:
    > I'm looking to buy a Giant OCR1 road bike. I'm curious as to why the
    > specs on the US bikes reference a compact geometry vs the world sites
    > as having a semi-sloping top tub. Is Giant moving away from the
    > Compact Geometry and they have yet to release these bikes to the US?

    Sounds like the same thing to me, is there really any difference? The
    Australian site calls the '05 models "compact", the Japanese site does
    the same, the Polish site is... in Polish.

    --
    My bike blog:
    http://diabloscott.blogspot.com/

  4. Jef

    Jef Guest

    Diablo Scott wrote:
    > Jef wrote:
    > > I'm looking to buy a Giant OCR1 road bike. I'm curious as to why

    the
    > > specs on the US bikes reference a compact geometry vs the world

    sites
    > > as having a semi-sloping top tub. Is Giant moving away from the
    > > Compact Geometry and they have yet to release these bikes to the

    US?

    > Sounds like the same thing to me, is there really any difference?

    The
    > Australian site calls the '05 models "compact", the Japanese site

    does
    > the same, the Polish site is... in Polish.
    >
    > --
    > My bike blog:
    > http://diabloscott.blogspot.com/

    The geometry via the pictures on the website look totally different
    between the bikes for America vs World. There was no Geometry data for
    the non America Sites so I could not compare. Just curiosity as I've
    always like the Giant Bikes for the "value" (I had an old Kronos) but
    am not crazy about the compact design