Giant Vs Gary Fisher

fungus

Guest
I haven't much money.

However my old Saracen Rufftrax on which I have been bombing around for
the last three years (the best £150 I ever spent) is dying, old, tired
and showing signs of the rough treatment it's had.

So I've narrowed my choice down to two hardtails which I think are both
pretty good for the price.

Giant Terrago Disc 2005 £330 - 350 (reduced from £399 thanks to my
bargaining tactics)
Pros: 6061 frame,hydraulic brakes,
cons: not too sure about the suntour forks? 60 mm travel I think (can't
find any opinions on it at all)

Gary Fisher Mullet 2005 -already down from £499rrp to £424 (haven't
done any bargaining on this price yet)
pros: 6061 frame, good wheels, manitou forks - 100 mm travel, large
amount of shimano componentry. nice looks
cons: mechanical disk brakes, can't replace individual chainrings & is
75 quid more that I don't really have....

Which would YOU go for - assuming you have ridden them both and they
both fit etc... just based upon the information above. I know it's
down to personal preference but I'm after some opinion that may help me
swing either way rather than advice about taking it for a test drive.

fungus wrote:
> I haven't much money.

Then save until you can afford a proper bicycle.

JD

"fungus" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> what a wit.
>
> Any more?

JD has a good point. Neither of these mountain bikes is that great. If
you've worn out your first bike, you'll wear out either of these.

I'd consider looking at a used bike. Make sure you've done your research
first. if you're a beginning mountain biker, i don't think you need front
suspension. You'll learn to ride better without.

Or, you might want to look at a single speed mountain bike.

Whatever you buy, make sure you ride it first.

Paul

OK... thanks - but which would you choose?
I might consider 2nd hand but it's a different question... which of
these two bikes would you choose. bike a) giant terrago, or bike
b)Gary Fisher mullet?

However you've raised an interesting point.. separate question: what's
wrong with them?

"fungus" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> OK... thanks - but which would you choose?
> I might consider 2nd hand but it's a different question... which of
> these two bikes would you choose. bike a) giant terrago, or bike
> b)Gary Fisher mullet?
>

> However you've raised an interesting point.. separate question: what's
> wrong with them?

To be honest, I don't know much about either. A couple of things stood out -
suntour front fork and non-replaceable chainrings. Both of those are signs
to me that the bikes are rather poorly spec'd - especially for the price.

I would not chose either of the bikes. I would not want to spend so much
money on something that's not going to last a long time.

I'd continue to save up more money for a better bike or buy used. You'll be
able to get an excellent used hardtail for that money. It might not have
disc brakes, but for x-country, you really don't need them.

Personally, I'd never buy a brand new bike. Actually nowadays, there's very
little reason to buy anything new.

That's what I think,

Paul

On 2005-07-20, fungus <[email protected]> wrote:
> I haven't much money.
>
> However my old Saracen Rufftrax on which I have been bombing around for
> the last three years (the best £150 I ever spent) is dying, old, tired
> and showing signs of the rough treatment it's had.
>
> So I've narrowed my choice down to two hardtails which I think are both
> pretty good for the price.
>
> Giant Terrago Disc 2005 £330 - 350 (reduced from £399 thanks to my
> bargaining tactics)
> Pros: 6061 frame,hydraulic brakes,
> cons: not too sure about the suntour forks? 60 mm travel I think (can't
> find any opinions on it at all)
>
> Gary Fisher Mullet 2005 -already down from £499rrp to £424 (haven't
> done any bargaining on this price yet)
> pros: 6061 frame, good wheels, manitou forks - 100 mm travel, large
> amount of shimano componentry. nice looks
> cons: mechanical disk brakes, can't replace individual chainrings & is
> 75 quid more that I don't really have....

I'd save the money and get the non disk Terrago in preference to
the disk version. Seriously. The componentry on the non disk is markedly
better. For starters, it's got Deore shifters and derailleurs as opposed
to 8sp very bottom end shifters on the disk, better crankset on the
non-disk etc. I've seen both having taken a workmate shopping for a
bike and the cost saving to put the disks on make for big compromises on
the other componentry.

My work mate plumped for the non disk version having ridden
both. For his money he got a seriously nice bike which has had no
trouble with the tracks we usually ride. IIRC he paid around 300UKP
after haggling.

I've not seen the Garry Fisher in the flesh. From theie nasty
flash-ridden cookie loving spawn of evil site th Mullet to have a
componentry level somewhere between the Terrago disk and non-disk
versions. The hayes MX2 brakes haven't been any better than well set up
Vs with good pads in when I've ridden bikes with them. They also require
allen keys to adjust unlike the HM1.

If you're set on disks it might be worth getting a better bike
overall and paying the (appreciable) money to upgrade with better disks
when you can afford it & to ebay your spares to offset the cost.
Something like the Claud Butler Cape Wrath which has disk-ready hubs
might be worth considering.

--
Tim.

[email protected]

On 2005-07-20, fungus <[email protected]> wrote:
> OK... thanks - but which would you choose?
> I might consider 2nd hand but it's a different question... which of
> these two bikes would you choose. bike a) giant terrago, or bike
> b)Gary Fisher mullet?
>

> However you've raised an interesting point.. separate question: what's
> wrong with them?

Both make sacrifices to put disks on. The disks on them aren't
likely to be as good as well set up Vs. For your money you could get a
lot more bike _and_ probably save towards some inexpensive but seriouly
better forks such as MX comps.

Whatever you decide to get, enjoy it. But don't get taken in by
something just because it's shiny.
--
Tim.

[email protected]

fungus wrote:

> Which would YOU go for - assuming you have ridden them both and they
> both fit etc... just based upon the information above. I know it's
> down to personal preference but I'm after some opinion that may help me
> swing either way rather than advice about taking it for a test drive.

In all seriousness, what capacity do you have to save another hundred &
fifty quid? If you can bargin, you might need less than that. I know
that it's really tempting to go out and buy something straight away, but
can you continue to thrash the rufftrax for a while longer?

If you could hit the $500 quid mark you've got a lot more bike for your
money. Something like the Giant XTC4 is about $499 and although the
drivetrain is pretty shitty, you can upgrade that as it wears out and
the rest of the bike is pretty good. Or maybe something like the GT
Avalanche (1.0 I think) Disc? Or if you're happy to get a really good
frame, the Specialized Rockhopper is about 550 quid with vbrakes.
--
Westie

Excellent replies... thanks very much all for your advice, I shall
certainly take it all into account. I must admit that yesterday I was
ready to go to the cashpoint and fork out for one or the other straight
away, but now am comsidering either a) a 03/04 bike of higher spec b) a
secondhand bike or c) continuing with the rufftrax till it falls apart
while building my own starting with the zen1 frame I already have in
the garage.... in which case I'll probably need a lot of advice as I
come to getting each new bit!
This was my original plan but due to time constraints put on me by
trying to get started in my own business (hence the money contsraints
too) it seemed a bit too "long term" and unrealistic. I've done some
component changing and servicing on the rufftrax and it's always
improved the bike but to build from scratch is a different matter!

Any seriously good fork bargains that anyone knows of?

fungus wrote:
> what a wit.
>
> Any more?

What a maroon. By saving until you can afford a proper bicycle, you
alleviate having to replace weak components and having to wait for a
frame warranty if you break an inferior frame. Both of those equal
downtime and that equals not riding your bicycle. You do wish to ride,
dont you?

JD

I love this.

Everytime I ask for advice on one thing or another on an internet group
some elitist muppet jumps up with "clever" advice.

So - JD - what is your ideal budget for a "proper" bicycle?

When you have other commitments £400 is a fair amount of cash, and for
over 70% of the worlds population it's more than they can imagine
spending on anything at all - let along a frigging bicycle, so - in
your opinion - what right do people who cannot afford a £3,000 bike
have to ride and enjoy riding

a) none
b) some but not on the trails that I ride on
c) every right to buy an "inferior" bike and do the best with their
money that they can?

Good answer. Its a pity you just missed the offer on geared inbreds,
they were a bargain You can still get the SS version if that interests
you.
Steve.

fungus wrote:
> I love this.

You love acting like a fool?

> Everytime I ask for advice on one thing or another on an internet group
> some elitist muppet jumps up with "clever" advice.

So, you are clueless wherever you go on the internet. What a surprise.

> So - JD - what is your ideal budget for a "proper" bicycle?

Whatever it costs to buy a bicycle that will last under normal mountain
biking use. If you want to buy a pretty bike that will not be ridden
and just used as a roof rack decoration and trailhead posing, buy
another piece of junk.

> When you have other commitments £400 is a fair amount of cash, and for
> over 70% of the worlds population it's more than they can imagine
> spending on anything at all - let along a frigging bicycle, so - in
> your opinion - what right do people who cannot afford a £3,000 bike
> have to ride and enjoy riding

> a) none
> b) some but not on the trails that I ride on
> c) every right to buy an "inferior" bike and do the best with their
> money that they can?

Your spin is pretty funny. Sell your computer and use the money to buy
a proper bicycle. It's obvious that you beat your head against the wall
everytime someone dares to call you an idiot online (I'm guessing quite
often). The upside is that your head will have fewer dense (sic) and
you will have a bicycle that works well.

JD

fungus wrote:
> I love this.
>
> Everytime I ask for advice on one thing or another on an internet group
> some elitist muppet jumps up with "clever" advice.

Now, if you didn't take yourself so seriously, you'd know when you have
your foot in your mouth.

Anyone who has bothered lurking more than five minutes knows two
things:

1.) JD is opinionated.

2.) His opinions on mountain bikes come from experience.

You may not agree with his opinions, but that doesn't mean he's wrong.
Some of the stuff he says is not about some binary either/or
proposition.

Long time ago, I read something I thought was wise:

The money *you* spend on your bike is yours. You get to choose how to
spend it. The free advice you get in usenet is mostly worth exactly
what you paid for it. In the end, what you buy is entirely up to you.

With bicycles, as with most consumer goods, you get what you pay for
(for the most part.) Those boig-box store bike-shaped pieces of junk
won't be adequate for mountain biking. And they are priced
accordingly. The better the components, the more they cost
(generally.) So, if you want a bike that is going to be durable, and
perform well, you'll have to spend some money. Otherwise, you might as
set your pounds Sterling notes on fire. If the bike is ****, and you
don't ride it, then you've wasted what money you've spent. Penny wise
and pound foolish, no?

If I were you, I'd be grateful that folks are willing to steer you
right without charging you for the priviledge of sharing their
experience. So get down off your high horse, and give thanks.

E.P.

Oh... Thankyou, thankyou, thankyou Oh master JD I wasn't aware that
you were a guru with a genuine right to try and belittle people asking
a simple question.

Please forgive me for coming on your forum. I got the advice I wanted
form those with an interest in helping - happy sniping.

You call that advice?? if you feel grateful when people answer your
questions like that you may have a subservience issue.

And if I haven't been here more than 5 minutes what exactly does that
say to you about me?? puzzling.

fungus wrote:

> Please forgive me for coming on your forum.

Eeewww! Now I feel all sticky! Oh wait... That's spelled differently.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

fungus wrote:
> You call that advice?? if you feel grateful when people answer your
> questions like that you may have a subservience issue.
>
> And if I haven't been here more than 5 minutes what exactly does that
> say to you about me??

Well for one thing that you're too stupid, lazy or both to QUOTE.

Second might be that you're aptly named.

Otherwise, yeah, you're a deep, mysterious dark pool...

HTH, BS

Ride-A-Lot wrote:
> fungus wrote:
>>
>> Please forgive me for coming on your forum.

> Eeewww! Now I feel all sticky! Oh wait... That's spelled
> differently.

Dude. Had happily missed or not seen that.

Thanks-A-Lot

(NOT!)