Giant XTC SE4 comments please?

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Srdjan Canic

I don't know as much about bikes as I enjoy riding them, so please try to be direct and clear :).

Right now, I have a Kelly's 7000SF - Cro-Mo frame, RST 281, Shimano Acera, 8 speed... It's quite
good, actually, but I was thinking of something better. Now, I don't have much of a choice here
(Serbia) and if I don't find the time to look for a perfect combination of independent parts
available, I can only go for one of Giant bikes (I was surprised enough to find them here, so please
don't tell me to look for a GT or something else).

Availability being a major problem, XTC SE4 seems to be the only acceptable model. It's allu frame
(AlluxX 6061), Manitou Axel Comp fork, Shimano Deore LX back / Shimano Deore front / levers Shimano
Deore, 9 speed and hydraulic disc breakes (MPH-3). Sorry, I don't know what else might be important
:). This is 735 euros (please keep in mind it's far from cheap, at least from our perspective). Now,
has anyone tried this or any similar Giant bike? Any comments? How good are Giant bikes in general?

I've also read many comments on disc breaks. Although many say they are the best, some say they tend
to break, especially the cheap ones. Well, it's hard for me to guess what they mean by "cheap" and I
got a bit worried, since I'm 194 cm and 105 kg (6.4 ft and 231.5 lb?). What will happen when I'm
going down, at 50-60 km/h (30-40 mph?), and try to break? Will I be "blasted into oblivion"?

Or, should I go looking for that "perfect combination" after all? (though, it's not a secret I could
use an extra bike) TIA.

cane.

Status
Not open for further replies.