Giant Yukon Stem

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by fastback, Jul 27, 2004.

  1. fastback

    fastback Guest

    I have an 04 yukon and would like to change the stem with a slight
    more rise. The reach seems just a bit to low. What I'd like to know is
    all the stems I've seen on the market all have a round clamp head on
    the fork tube. The giant line all seem to have an odd shaped stem
    head. Whats the deal? Can I go to another stem without buying ahead
    set? Course I could just use my allen wrench and find out but I
    thought it best to ask you old seasoned salty daugs first. I realize
    its best to have a Cert. Tech. work on it but I'd like to know.

    Tags:

  2. S o r n i

    S o r n i Guest

    fastback wrote:
    > I have an 04 yukon and would like to change the stem with a slight
    > more rise. The reach seems just a bit to low. What I'd like to know is
    > all the stems I've seen on the market all have a round clamp head on
    > the fork tube. The giant line all seem to have an odd shaped stem
    > head. Whats the deal? Can I go to another stem without buying ahead
    > set? Course I could just use my allen wrench and find out but I
    > thought it best to ask you old seasoned salty daugs first. I realize
    > its best to have a Cert. Tech. work on it but I'd like to know.

    I'm guessing that your stem merely has an oval (or whatever) SHAPE to its
    head; the actual clamping area is round.

    If you have any spacers /on top/ of your stem, you might be able to raise it
    enough by moving them below. Worth a try, anyway.

    Bill "post a pic?" S.

  3. ZeeExSixAre

    ZeeExSixAre Guest

    "S o r n i" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > fastback wrote:
    > > I have an 04 yukon and would like to change the stem with a slight
    > > more rise. The reach seems just a bit to low. What I'd like to know is
    > > all the stems I've seen on the market all have a round clamp head on
    > > the fork tube. The giant line all seem to have an odd shaped stem
    > > head. Whats the deal? Can I go to another stem without buying ahead
    > > set? Course I could just use my allen wrench and find out but I
    > > thought it best to ask you old seasoned salty daugs first. I realize
    > > its best to have a Cert. Tech. work on it but I'd like to know.

    > I'm guessing that your stem merely has an oval (or whatever) SHAPE to its
    > head; the actual clamping area is round.
    >
    > If you have any spacers /on top/ of your stem, you might be able to raise

    it
    > enough by moving them below. Worth a try, anyway.

    My shop deals Giants. The stem top cap is tear-drop shaped, and it fits
    with the particular stem that comes on the lower-end Giant MTBs. No spacers
    go above the stem because the top cap won't allow it.

    fastback, if you buy a new stem, your LBS should throw in a new round top
    cap for $3 or $4 at most.

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  4. smiles

    smiles Guest

    "ZeeExSixAre" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > fastback, if you buy a new stem, your LBS should throw in a new round top
    > cap for $3 or $4 at most.

    Some .... like ours ... will throw in the top cap for free. We have a ton
    just laying around the shop and have some cool BnB ones made up.

    http://boardnbike.com

  5. fastback

    fastback Guest

    I figured I'd get the straight scoop from you guys. I was being told
    by serveral vendors that it was just a matter of changing stems and
    looking at the bike that just didn't make any sense. Thank you guys
    again!

    Mike

    "smiles" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "ZeeExSixAre" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > fastback, if you buy a new stem, your LBS should throw in a new round top
    > > cap for $3 or $4 at most.

    > Some .... like ours ... will throw in the top cap for free. We have a ton
    > just laying around the shop and have some cool BnB ones made up.

    > http://boardnbike.com

  6. fastback

    fastback Guest

    Crud please disreagrd my last replay. I get it now just buy the stem
    and get a cap for a couple bucks. The vendors were right... sorry for
    the confusing.

    "smiles" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "ZeeExSixAre" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > fastback, if you buy a new stem, your LBS should throw in a new round top
    > > cap for $3 or $4 at most.

    > Some .... like ours ... will throw in the top cap for free. We have a ton
    > just laying around the shop and have some cool BnB ones made up.

    > http://boardnbike.com

  7. On 27 Jul 2004 12:09:52 -0700, [email protected] (fastback)
    wrote:

    >I have an 04 yukon and would like to change the stem with a slight
    >more rise. The reach seems just a bit to low. What I'd like to know is
    >all the stems I've seen on the market all have a round clamp head on
    >the fork tube. The giant line all seem to have an odd shaped stem
    >head. Whats the deal? Can I go to another stem without buying ahead
    >set? Course I could just use my allen wrench and find out but I
    >thought it best to ask you old seasoned salty daugs first. I realize
    >its best to have a Cert. Tech. work on it but I'd like to know.

    I added an extension and I'm stuck with no cap. It looks funny but
    I'm the only one who sees it and I ride at night mostly - so I don't
    care! lol

    Michael J. Klein [email protected]
    Dasi Jen, Taoyuan Hsien, Taiwan, ROC
    Please replace mousepotato with asiancastings