Giant Yukon Stem

fastback

Guest
I have an 04 yukon and would like to change the stem with a slight
more rise. The reach seems just a bit to low. What I'd like to know is
all the stems I've seen on the market all have a round clamp head on
the fork tube. The giant line all seem to have an odd shaped stem
head. Whats the deal? Can I go to another stem without buying ahead
set? Course I could just use my allen wrench and find out but I
thought it best to ask you old seasoned salty daugs first. I realize
its best to have a Cert. Tech. work on it but I'd like to know.

fastback wrote:
> I have an 04 yukon and would like to change the stem with a slight
> more rise. The reach seems just a bit to low. What I'd like to know is
> all the stems I've seen on the market all have a round clamp head on
> the fork tube. The giant line all seem to have an odd shaped stem
> head. Whats the deal? Can I go to another stem without buying ahead
> set? Course I could just use my allen wrench and find out but I
> thought it best to ask you old seasoned salty daugs first. I realize
> its best to have a Cert. Tech. work on it but I'd like to know.

I'm guessing that your stem merely has an oval (or whatever) SHAPE to its
head; the actual clamping area is round.

If you have any spacers /on top/ of your stem, you might be able to raise it
enough by moving them below. Worth a try, anyway.

Bill "post a pic?" S.

"S o r n i" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> fastback wrote:
> > I have an 04 yukon and would like to change the stem with a slight
> > more rise. The reach seems just a bit to low. What I'd like to know is
> > all the stems I've seen on the market all have a round clamp head on
> > the fork tube. The giant line all seem to have an odd shaped stem
> > head. Whats the deal? Can I go to another stem without buying ahead
> > set? Course I could just use my allen wrench and find out but I
> > thought it best to ask you old seasoned salty daugs first. I realize
> > its best to have a Cert. Tech. work on it but I'd like to know.

> I'm guessing that your stem merely has an oval (or whatever) SHAPE to its
> head; the actual clamping area is round.
>
> If you have any spacers /on top/ of your stem, you might be able to raise

it
> enough by moving them below. Worth a try, anyway.

My shop deals Giants. The stem top cap is tear-drop shaped, and it fits
with the particular stem that comes on the lower-end Giant MTBs. No spacers
go above the stem because the top cap won't allow it.

fastback, if you buy a new stem, your LBS should throw in a new round top
cap for $3 or $4 at most.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

"ZeeExSixAre" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> fastback, if you buy a new stem, your LBS should throw in a new round top
> cap for $3 or $4 at most.

Some .... like ours ... will throw in the top cap for free. We have a ton
just laying around the shop and have some cool BnB ones made up.

http://boardnbike.com

I figured I'd get the straight scoop from you guys. I was being told
by serveral vendors that it was just a matter of changing stems and
looking at the bike that just didn't make any sense. Thank you guys
again!

Mike

"smiles" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "ZeeExSixAre" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > fastback, if you buy a new stem, your LBS should throw in a new round top
> > cap for $3 or $4 at most.

> Some .... like ours ... will throw in the top cap for free. We have a ton
> just laying around the shop and have some cool BnB ones made up.

> http://boardnbike.com

Crud please disreagrd my last replay. I get it now just buy the stem
and get a cap for a couple bucks. The vendors were right... sorry for
the confusing.

"smiles" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "ZeeExSixAre" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > fastback, if you buy a new stem, your LBS should throw in a new round top
> > cap for $3 or $4 at most.

> Some .... like ours ... will throw in the top cap for free. We have a ton
> just laying around the shop and have some cool BnB ones made up.

> http://boardnbike.com

On 27 Jul 2004 12:09:52 -0700, [email protected] (fastback)
wrote:

>I have an 04 yukon and would like to change the stem with a slight
>more rise. The reach seems just a bit to low. What I'd like to know is
>all the stems I've seen on the market all have a round clamp head on
>the fork tube. The giant line all seem to have an odd shaped stem
>head. Whats the deal? Can I go to another stem without buying ahead
>set? Course I could just use my allen wrench and find out but I
>thought it best to ask you old seasoned salty daugs first. I realize
>its best to have a Cert. Tech. work on it but I'd like to know.

I added an extension and I'm stuck with no cap. It looks funny but
I'm the only one who sees it and I ride at night mostly - so I don't
care! lol

Michael J. Klein [email protected]
Dasi Jen, Taoyuan Hsien, Taiwan, ROC
Please replace mousepotato with asiancastings