Giant Yukon

triguy98 said:
Thats $556 USD? for an 8 speed drivetrain? eh. Youre paying for mediocre discs.
]

You need to have a look at Aud prices before diving in on this one.

Giant Yukon in the USA? US$430. Australia? AU$700 (650 if you are lucky, 750 rrp).

The disc model does not seem to cost much more than the previous rim model, actually. Certainly not even as much as the mediocre discs.

Incidentally OOI, weall around the world just got used to "disk" for everything, and suddenly brakes are spelt correctly again. What gives? <G>

SomeGuy said:
http://www.phantomcycles.com.au/product.php?productid=2829

Much nicer bike - although it is more expensive.
Yeah, but you can go on saying that just about forever. It is quite a bit more expensive. For a first time buyer, in the end you just give up, and don't buy anything, if the next model up is always better.

You can either sell the Yukon, and buy another later, once you are sure you want to keep biking, or upgrade the Yukon with whatever you want.

I do some woodworking, and became convinced that I needed a table saw. I now wish I had bought a better one, or not bought at all. I certainly did not buy the cheapest, but when I saw what was happening with prices, in the end I bought low midrange. It does a job, but not a very good one. I should have saved my money and kept working without one, because you can work wood quite well without a table saw. But
- the difference is that the Yukon is a perfectly capable bike, which does a good job at giving me the joy of riding, and if you don't have a bike you can't do any cycling.
- it was a _relatively_ cheap way to learn that table saws and I did not mix.

I think there is a point in downpricing where the actual functions of the machine are put in jeopardy. But I don't think the Yukon, or even cheaper Giant models, fit that description.

Postie said:
Personally I don't think you'll find a better bike for the money. However, for another $100ish you can upgrade to the Iguana with 9 speed Deore, better wheels and brakes and forks which is well worth the extra cash.
It seems to have become the Alias this year.

In Oz it's actually another $250 or so....believe me, if it was only Au$100 above the Au$750 Yukon price there would be a lot easier choice.

OldNickToo said:
the difference is that the Yukon is a perfectly capable bike, which does a good job at giving me the joy of riding, and if you don't have a bike you can't do any cycling.

You are of course absolutely correct. I started MTB racing with a Giant Rincon (it was my commuter bike). Decided I liked it and bought an XTC2. Now I've still got the Rincon for commuting, and the XTC2 as my racebike.

Yukon, yes not bad, I would have chosen, except the price is too high:rolleyes: . I just bought my first MTB. Had a choice between Rincon and Yucon, and must have dual disk. The shop offered 2006 Rincon for A$620 plus discount and had 2005 Yucon at A$750. So I took the best offer.

It is good to hear, others have started with a similar bike and i hope i will enjoy :p and eventual upgrade to a better bike.

chauff

SomeGuy said:
You are of course absolutely correct. I started MTB racing with a Giant Rincon (it was my commuter bike). Decided I liked it and bought an XTC2. Now I've still got the Rincon for commuting, and the XTC2 as my racebike.
So what you are saying is that you are as bad at selling stuff as I am? <GG>