Giant's 2007 Models and other stuff...

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by djwhyte, Aug 14, 2006.

1. djwhyte

djwhyte New Member

Hi,

I am sorry for being yet another person about to get his first road bike and for asking the same questions but I am in dire need of some guidance.

I have been looking around for a road bike for a while now. I am partaking in my first Noosa tri this year so need to upgrade from my Giant Cypress hybrid for training purposes and of course for the race. I commute a couple of times a week down the SE Freeway (QLD) paths which is ~35km's each round trip. I would also like to do Sunday rides.

Since my hybrid has been so reliable, I decided to stick with Giant and get the TCR1, however, no cycle stores near me seem to have one in my size (I am 6'2") and can't get any of the 2006 models. (Although one shop told me a 55cm frame would fit, several others said I was being flogged a bike that is too small. My inseam was measured at 60cm).

I have been told to wait until the 2007 models come out, but no one can give me a decent idea as to when that will be. From what I can gather, it could be as late as October.

At the same time, I have been looking at the Trek 1500 and today I saw a Scott R10, both of which are nice, but I wasn't overly keen on the oversize frames in comparison to the Giant. I don't like the Avanti Corsa because of it's dodgy shaped frame and nasty colot :cool:

If you haven't guessed, I am looking for Ultegra (or similar) componentry, and am looking at the price around $2200 (or very close).

Questions:
    1) Any idea when the Giant 2007 models come out?
    2) Would the Trek, with it's Bontrager wheels be better than something with Shimano 550's?
    3) Is there a manufacturer or model I have missed?

Ideally, I would like to ask 'which is the best bike to get', but I know (or at least I am told) so much of it is personal preference. All advice seems to point to me testing the bikes myself, but the problem lies in that I can't find a Giant in my size to try. That, and I don't really know what I am looking for when I take one for a spin. (And I am worried about dropping the bike if I am not used to riding a roadie :p).

Anyways, if anyone does have any advice, it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
    Whytey

Tags:

2. gclark8

gclark8 New Member

We already have a 2007 Giant topic in the Aus Forums, the link: http://www.cyclingforums.com/t342987.html

The 2007 OCRs are out now. I suggest you call Giant in Melbourne and ask about your specific bike, don't rely on a dealer for info.

Felt, Scott and Cervelo all make excellent Tri bikes. ;)

3. kleng

kleng New Member

4. kleng

kleng New Member

You could have a look at the Scott Cr1 pro, there are a few dealers in Brisbane

[​IMG]

5. lks

lks New Member

Unless you buy a new bike every year, you should compare Shimano and Campy, with SRAM. Except for wheels and pedals, you use shifters more than anything else and SRAM is completely different. I have not ridden it yet, so I have no personal opinion.

6. djwhyte

djwhyte New Member

While that certainly is a *very* nice bike, it seems to be a little too overpriced for my ~$2200 price point. :)

Thanks though

7. djwhyte

djwhyte New Member

SRAM. Is that a manufacturer of the running gear, similar to Shimano?

Just out of curiosity, why would I be looking at those? I have never heard of them, though that could be because I am a noob cyclist, but none of my cyclist mates have mentioned them either.

8. djwhyte

djwhyte New Member

I haven't seen OCR's but I have seen the 2007 flat-bars. Thanks for the link to the thread.

I guess I could call Giant themselves, but I am liking the look of the Scott S10 and will probably take it for a spin if I can.

9. DesFlurane

DesFlurane New Member

Hi,

I have the same measurements as the OP and fit nicely on a 55.5 Giant.
    Have had a couple of fitting sessions and nobody commented on the frame being the wrong size.
    Fits were carried out at shops different from where I bought the bike.
    YMMV.