Gift Giving Advice - Cycling Accessories



bgp417

New Member
Dec 4, 2009
1
0
0
My husband has recently gotten into cycling, and I would love to buy him some accessories for Christmas. Would love your opinions on what "must have" items I should consider buying. And of those, which brands/styles you'd recommend. I plan on purchasing bike shorts, pants, shirt, gloves, and anything else he may need. I think shoes are probably a personal preference, so I wasn't planning on buying those - unless you disagree? Thanks so much for your help.
 

64Paramount

Well-Known Member
Jul 25, 2009
1,640
62
0
bgp417 said:
My husband has recently gotten into cycling, and I would love to buy him some accessories for Christmas. Would love your opinions on what "must have" items I should consider buying. And of those, which brands/styles you'd recommend. I plan on purchasing bike shorts, pants, shirt, gloves, and anything else he may need. I think shoes are probably a personal preference, so I wasn't planning on buying those - unless you disagree? Thanks so much for your help.


The things you have listed are all things a rider needs, I would make sure that they can be returned if needed.

Clothing sizes will vary between brands, so unless you know exactly the brand, the model/style, and the size that he prefers you may end up returning or exchanging them.

I don't want to discourage you, just forewarn you.
 

OldGoat

New Member
Nov 13, 2006
390
4
18
Presume he already has a helmet; if not, that should be the first thing on your list.

Re shoes, be aware that the type of shoe chosen must match the type of pedals on his bike; the cleats (which attach to the bottom of the shoe and connect the shoe to the pedal) will have either two or three screw holes in them and the pattern of holes in the bottom of the shoe must match that of the cleats.

If he plans on riding at night, he needs--really needs--a set of high quality and very bright lights, both front and rear. Dinotte, or Light & Motion, are two very good brands, though there are many others as well.

Not a must-have, but a nice-to-have, would be a GPS/computer like the Garmin 705.

Are there any more like you where you come from?
 
Dec 30, 2007
2,111
8
0
bgp417 said:
My husband has recently gotten into cycling, and I would love to buy him some accessories for Christmas. Would love your opinions on what "must have" items I should consider buying. And of those, which brands/styles you'd recommend. I plan on purchasing bike shorts, pants, shirt, gloves, and anything else he may need. I think shoes are probably a personal preference, so I wasn't planning on buying those - unless you disagree? Thanks so much for your help.

Gift card from a good, local bike shop?
 

bianchi10

New Member
Oct 28, 2009
293
2
0
41
I agree with paramount. the items you listed are all personal things and each item will fit differently. Each brand fits very differently, so one brand he may be a Large but in another fit into a medium. Maybe your husband is not picky with what he wears but I know I am VERY particular on my cycling gear. I would suggest a gift card for him to pick out those items and then get him some accessories that aren't so personal such as:

here are some ideas:
-Front and Rear "blackburn flea" lights ($50 or so for a set)There are many choices this was just a recommendation.
-Saddle pack (small zip up bag that goes under the seat for tubes, tools etc..)
-A good Floor tire pump with a gauge on it
-A wireless computer (monitors his speed, distance, time etc..)
-As lame as it sounds...Socks. Good riding socks are nice to have
-A nice pair of riding glasses
-A couple spare Tubes
-An indoor trainer

Again these are just some ideas, hope it helps.
 

Scott2468

Member
Jun 6, 2007
138
14
0
60
156 unreserved free passes, without question & ramifications to ride whenever he wants!
 

jackson123

New Member
Sep 5, 2007
127
2
0
alienator said:
I agree with Peter: a gift card from a local shop is perfect.
i don't think this is a good idea ,perhaps a gift card is very easy and confortable,but if you choose a gift by heart ,it will be more meaningful for your husband.so i appreciate your opinion.
then,here is a site that has bike accessories and good deals ,you can have a look,such as lights and reflectors ,bags,and cameras.in my opinion, your husband's bike equiped with a camera that would be very wonderful,when he rides out ,he could take pictures at the same time.
 

bianchi10

New Member
Oct 28, 2009
293
2
0
41
jackson123 said:
i don't think this is a good idea ,perhaps a gift card is very easy and confortable,but if you choose a gift by heart ,it will be more meaningful for your husband.so i appreciate your opinion.
then,here is a site that has bike accessories and good deals ,you can have a look,such as lights and reflectors ,bags,and cameras.in my opinion, your husband's bike equiped with a camera that would be very wonderful,when he rides out ,he could take pictures at the same time.

I agree a bit, but I think most of the items even accessories are a choice that involves personal choice. If my wife went and bought some stuff for my bike, I would be willing to bet it wouldn't be what I wanted for my bike therfor it would be going back to the shop and getting what I wanted anyway. So I think something like a light would be a safe choice, but along with a gift card for him to make the choice according to the style he is looking for.
 

alienator

Well-Known Member
Jun 10, 2004
12,596
310
0
bianchi10 said:
I agree a bit, but I think most of the items even accessories are a choice that involves personal choice. If my wife went and bought some stuff for my bike, I would be willing to bet it wouldn't be what I wanted for my bike therfor it would be going back to the shop and getting what I wanted anyway. So I think something like a light would be a safe choice, but along with a gift card for him to make the choice according to the style he is looking for.

Exactly. While my wife might pick out nice things in general, she really wouldn't know what I specifically wanted or could use. For specialized equipment intensive sports--like cycling, climbing, and etc.--gift cards are the perfect gifts.