Gilbert to BMC Racing

Andrija

Feb 16, 2005
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/philippe-gilbert-signs-for-bmc

Gilbert also explained that he'd be following a similar program in 2012 to this year.
"My objectives are clear: to go for the one-day classics and then go to the Tour to learn and help Cadel," he said. "Next year with the start in Liege, it's close to my home. So I will try to win a stage and then help Cadel win the Tour."
So, there's a Tour - related goal.

What Cadel has to say?

Cadel Evans, currently preparing for the USA Pro Cycling Challenge in Colorado welcomed Gilbert, who he raced with previously at former team Silence-Lotto.
"I'm happy to be back with one of my old teammates," Evans said. "We've always remained friends, but now we get to be teammates again and that's fantastic," Evans said. "I suspect I'll be a domestique in the Ardennes week, but I look forward to it and it will be a pleasure."
It seems that there's significant difference between Hushovd and Gilbert... In Evans' eyes, at least.
Or, is it just better measured PR?

BMC is going to be fear and trembling team.

Regarding spring classics, they've already shown in this year's Flanders what they're capable of, when they stepped at the front. With Gilbert, they'll have clear game plan.

Maybe, they should search now for some true mountain domestiques.

If things go well they have to potential to be a dominate team for the entire season. If things don't go well they have the potential to be at each others throats with three 'team leader' types in the same room.

seems there was a good bit of pr coaching for the interviews to have come off this smoothly. interesting point which is running throughout the comments from pg & ce is that pg is riding the tour to learn from cadel. smart move in my opinion. this will give bmc two strong contenders should one falter through mishap or what not and it provides a nice bridge between cadel and phinney. hats off to ochowicz for taking a long view on vying for the gc over the coming years. and needless to say, what a line up for the spring/autumn classics.