Gilberto Simoni Interview on the Current State of Pro Cycling

Crankyfeet

Jun 5, 2007
See this article for the interview in its entirety.

The premise was simple and, we thought, innocuous: get Gilberto Simoni and a sample of the Diquigiovanni team's other golden oldies around a table and shoot the breeze about how professional cycling has changed – and possibly deteriorated – over the past fifteen years or so.

Seven minutes in, Gilberto Simoni decided he had better things to do, but the tape kept rolling. After a vain and frankly hilarious attempt to bring his diva back, Diquigiovanni boss Gianni Savio even insisted on stepping in as a substitute.

Here, we print the full transcript of the brief encounter with Simoni, dissected and psycho-analysed in the Procycling Season's Preview issue, which hit the UK newsstand this week. The three riders making up the round table were 35-year-old Daniele Nardello, 37-year-old Gabriele Missaglia and 34-year-old Ruslan Ivanov.

Here's the interview in its surreal entirety.

Simoni is class. I would love for him win the Giro this year. Interesting comments at the end about Rujano. Would be great to watch a natural climbing taloent like that up against Simoni, Piepoli, Cuengo The Cobra et al (left out DiLuca on purpose :)).

Thanks Cranky, that's an interesting story!

Crankyfeet said:
See this article for the interview in its entirety.

The premise was simple and, we thought, innocuous: get Gilberto Simoni and a sample of the Diquigiovanni team's other golden oldies around a table and shoot the breeze about how professional cycling has changed – and possibly deteriorated – over the past fifteen years or so.

Seven minutes in, Gilberto Simoni decided he had better things to do, but the tape kept rolling. After a vain and frankly hilarious attempt to bring his diva back, Diquigiovanni boss Gianni Savio even insisted on stepping in as a substitute.

Here, we print the full transcript of the brief encounter with Simoni, dissected and psycho-analysed in the Procycling Season's Preview issue, which hit the UK newsstand this week. The three riders making up the round table were 35-year-old Daniele Nardello, 37-year-old Gabriele Missaglia and 34-year-old Ruslan Ivanov.

Here's the interview in its surreal entirety.

I think we should give credit also for cfa...
That's where these articles are usually taken from.
Very interesting article for sure!

Thanks Cranky! I have mixed feelings about dope-testing invading the privacy of the pros. On the one hand, there will be the cheaters who will exploit privacy to do we know what. On the other hand, having the dope testers interrupt a holiday with your family is not nice.

The comment on technology intruding too much into training was also interesting. Ever since calculators and computerized checkouts came into the scene, many people have lost the ability to count/calculate change in their head. The over-reliance on HRMs seems to be somewhat similar - people trusting a machine more than getting to know their own body...

Aquamarinos said:
Definitely cyclingfansanonymous should be given props. It has great cycling commentary.

Aquamarinos said:
Good point. Initially I was going to... but I noticed they were linking to bikeradar.com. Are these two sites the same?

PS - I'm usually a stickler for citations. I will even cite other members if I draw a quote or picture from their posts. I dislike plagiarism intensely (only after I left high school... ;) ).

Crankyfeet said:
Good point. Initially I was going to... but I noticed they were linking to bikeradar.com. Are these two sites the same?

PS - I'm usually a stickler for citations. I will even cite other members if I draw a quote or picture from their posts. I dislike plagiarism intensely (only after I left high school... ;) ).
They are not the same. I get a lot of my links from CFA, though. I should start including a link to that site when I snarf a link.

Bro Deal said:
They are not the same. I get a lot of my links from CFA, though. I should start including a link to that site when I snarf a link.
You should give them credit Bro. I am a stickler for citations. I will even cite other members if I draw a quote or picture from their posts. I dislike plagiarism intensely, even during high school.

Frigo's Luggage said:
You should give them credit Bro. I am a stickler for citations. I will even cite other members if I draw a quote or picture from their posts. I dislike plagiarism intensely, even during high school.
Farking funny Frigo...
24.gif

Frigo's Luggage said:
Taking links is not exactly plagiarism.

But it's only fair to give CFA a link so that it will drive traffic to their site.

Bro Deal said:
Taking links is not exactly plagiarism.

But it's only fair to give CFA a link so that it will drive traffic to their site.
Are the articles posted there copyrighted? If yes, then ideally, only links should be provided. If not copyrighted, then I would support posting the contents and then giving the link from where the material came from.

TheDarkLord said:
Are the articles posted there copyrighted? If yes, then ideally, only links should be provided. If not copyrighted, then I would support posting the contents and then giving the link from where the material came from.
CFA has a lot of links with commentary about the links. Sometimes he will have his own commentary about the state of cycling.

It would be good to link to the site even for links because his take on the link content is usually really good. It has a cynical tone that matches this place.

Bro Deal said:
CFA has a lot of links with commentary about the links. Sometimes he will have his own commentary about the state of cycling.

It would be good to link to the site even for links because his take on the link content is usually really good. It has a cynical tone that matches this place.
I have often wondered if it is not Bro Deal himself who runs CFA??...

CFA once wrote that some cycling journos demanded to know his/her identity...

Pretty funny, of course he/she didn't have to reveal it, but the journos were really upset about the site, since it's very well updated and very accurate...

IMO it's one of the best cycling sites out there, so do give credit for it if you use the links he/she provides..