Gilberto Simoni

Status
Not open for further replies.

limerickman

Jan 5, 2004
Gilberto Simoni has signed for Saunier Duval.

Interesting move.

He gets away from Cunego.

There was a rumour that CSC were very interested in him but he's plumped for
Duval.

limerickman said:
Gilberto Simoni has signed for Saunier Duval.

Interesting move.

He gets away from Cunego.

There was a rumour that CSC were very interested in him but he's plumped for
Duval.

I think Duval is a good place for him. I suppose he could have been the Giro leader at CSC. That really could have been quite interesting.

I rate both Sastre and Basso above him.......he wouldn't be a leader on CSC!!

The wisest move was to go to saunier duval!

tcklyde said:
I think Duval is a good place for him. I suppose he could have been the Giro leader at CSC. That really could have been quite interesting.

I agree that Sastre and Basso are probably above him -- but I find it highly unlikely that if Gibo went to CSC he would agree to work for anyone at the Giro (and heaven knows he wouldn't ride the Tour if he could help it). The logical conclusion is that Basso may be planning to skip the Giro next year. Sastre, as with this year, would likely do the Tour for Basso and lead at the Vuelta.

tcklyde said:
I agree that Sastre and Basso are probably above him -- but I find it highly unlikely that if Gibo went to CSC he would agree to work for anyone at the Giro (and heaven knows he wouldn't ride the Tour if he could help it). The logical conclusion is that Basso may be planning to skip the Giro next year. Sastre, as with this year, would likely do the Tour for Basso and lead at the Vuelta.
I do not follow. If they had signed on Simoni, I would agree... use him for the Giro and have Basso go for the Tour. But now CSC have no one for the Giro, which would seem a bit strange given how they approached their season last year.

Of course, in 2006 there will be no Armstrong at the Tour and I assume that Simoni's signing demands a pretty penny that CSC may not be willing to spend.:confused:

*note that this in only my impression* but I've gotten the feeling that CSC is a real team workers team and that a person with a stong individual personality like Simoni might not be a very good fit there, regardless of whether or not they could afford to pay him.

Did Basso rule the 2006 giro out......am I missing something?? His body can cope with 2 GT's in a year and he should have won this years giro......

Powerful Pete said:
I do not follow. If they had signed on Simoni, I would agree... use him for the Giro and have Basso go for the Tour. But now CSC have no one for the Giro, which would seem a bit strange given how they approached their season last year.

Of course, in 2006 there will be no Armstrong at the Tour and I assume that Simoni's signing demands a pretty penny that CSC may not be willing to spend.:confused:

Powerful Pete said:

I'm sorry, I wrote the post weird. If they would have signed Gibo, my thought would have been that Gibo to lead the Giro and Basso to lead the Tour. But since they haven't, who knows....

Well according to Simoni; He was approached by Basso and told that Riis was interested in him especially for the Giro. Can't say that this means for sure that Basso would not be going to the Giro. Simoni admitted to being very surprised by this. In the end he says he picked Saunier Duval because they are a solid team, a Pro Tour team that will allow him to enter some very important races ahead of the Giro, and because of the director. Of the director he says "How can someone not trust him"? He admits his primary goal is the Giro. But says he hopes to go France for a look at the tdF presentation. He is signed for one year because he felt like signing for two would be an abdication of responsibility. Perhaps he means that he must give everything he has this coming year, because he expects it will be his last. Though he did not rule out another year.
He did not utter anything bad about his old team, director, or Cunego. (LOL he is getting smarter with age)
But he admits that he had to get out of the situation. I am sure that the team with two leaders created too many problems.
tcklyde said:
I'm sorry, I wrote the post weird. If they would have signed Gibo, my thought would have been that Gibo to lead the Giro and Basso to lead the Tour. But since they haven't, who knows....

ilpirata said:
Well according to Simoni; He was approached by Basso and told that Riis was interested in him especially for the Giro. Can't say that this means for sure that Basso would not be going to the Giro. Simoni admitted to being very surprised by this. In the end he says he picked Saunier Duval because they are a solid team, a Pro Tour team that will allow him to enter some very important races ahead of the Giro, and because of the director. Of the director he says "How can someone not trust him"? He admits his primary goal is the Giro. But says he hopes to go France for a look at the tdF presentation. He is signed for one year because he felt like signing for two would be an abdication of responsibility. Perhaps he means that he must give everything he has this coming year, because he expects it will be his last. Though he did not rule out another year.
He did not utter anything bad about his old team, director, or Cunego. (LOL he is getting smarter with age)
But he admits that he had to get out of the situation. I am sure that the team with two leaders created too many problems.

Cool, thanks for the info ilpirata!

Yes, IIRC one of his new team directors will be Pietro Algeri, who he raced with a number of years ago... again, IIRC. :confused::eek:

Eden said:
*note that this in only my impression* but I've gotten the feeling that CSC is a real team workers team and that a person with a stong individual personality like Simoni might not be a very good fit there, regardless of whether or not they could afford to pay him.
RUMOUR has it that they employ some excellent pharmacists too...

Nothing like having Mr 60% running the show.

patch70 said:
RUMOUR has it that they employ some excellent pharmacists too...

Nothing like having Mr 60% running the show.

Oh you mean dr luigi checcini? No that can't be right, checcini was for a fact working for team CSC at one point, that is certain (check up old tyler interviews on cycilngnews). If he's still around I dont know, guess they would try to keep him under the carpet. Maybe anyone has any info on this?

Powerful Pete said:
But now CSC have no one for the Giro, which would seem a bit strange given how they approached their season last year.

Apparently Christian Vandevelde is CSC's Giro GC man. Next year's Giro doesn't seem to be that important to the team.

Interesting factoid - Christian's father was one of the Team Cinzano riders in the movie "Breaking Away".

Riss got rid of Checcini........That is officially...who knows maybe there are still contacts......Riss is now the coach, supervisor of Basso. And who better to update Basso then ''mr 60%''.........

Bjørn P.Dal said:
Oh you mean dr luigi checcini? No that can't be right, checcini was for a fact working for team CSC at one point, that is certain (check up old tyler interviews on cycilngnews). If he's still around I dont know, guess they would try to keep him under the carpet. Maybe anyone has any info on this?

Vandevelde gets his chance to lead in a grand tour? Great for Christian!

Simoni did a great ride in last years Giro! It is already shaping up to be one hell of a giro. How can we forget Ruano, Salvodelli, and Cunego to go battle Simoni and Vandevelde among others.

I'm picking Ruano or Salvoldelli to win. Salvodelli won last year because he was so damn consistent stage after stage. Never spectacular...but very consistent. If Simoni has another good ride you can expect to see him back in 2007.

oneradtec said:

Simoni did a great ride in last years Giro! It is already shaping up to be one hell of a giro. How can we forget Ruano, Salvodelli, and Cunego to go battle Simoni and Vandevelde among others.

I'm picking Ruano or Salvoldelli to win. Salvodelli won last year because he was so damn consistent stage after stage. Never spectacular...but very consistent. If Simoni has another good ride you can expect to see him back in 2007.
Vandevelde won`t win the Giro, maybe top ten. not more! In Germany there are rumours that Jan Ullrich will ride the Giro....

oneradtec said:

Who are these Ruano, Salvoldelli & Salvodelli people? They were on none of the Giro Start lists.

Could they be related in some way to Rujano and Savoldelli? Or perhaps to Larnse Amrstong? Given they were on the podium, at least do them the honour of learning to spell their names.

patch70 said:
Who are these Ruano, Salvoldelli & Salvodelli people? They were on none of the Giro Start lists.

Could they be related in some way to Rujano and Savoldelli? Or perhaps to Larnse Amrstong? Given they were on the podium, at least do them the honour of learning to spell their names.

I'll do you the honor(honour) of smacking your fat mother...oh sorry, mum!
G'day mate!!

Status
Not open for further replies.