Gilby, when did this forum really begin?

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by David_Stone, Jan 5, 2006.

  1. David_Stone

    David_Stone Guest

    I did a search for the word 'unicycle,' and it turns up in some posts
    from 1993 (4/15/93 was the earliest). But I'm fairly certain that these
    pre-1999 posts were generated somewhere else. My hunch is that the
    forum really got going in 1999, with minor changes made along the way.
    I believe my first posts here came in early 2001, by which time Joe
    Merrill and my brother and some other Unatics had been telling me about
    the forum.

    --
    David_Stone

    Dictator for Life,
    NYUC
    David_Stone's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3834

  2. swarbrim

    swarbrim Guest

  3. chosen

    chosen Guest

  4. uniMcPeat

    uniMcPeat Guest

  5. Gilby

    Gilby Guest

  6. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

    David_Stone wrote:
    > I did a search for the word 'unicycle,' and it turns up in some posts
    > from 1993 (4/15/93 was the earliest). But I'm fairly certain that these
    > pre-1999 posts were generated somewhere else.

    I remember rsu starting in 1995 (easy for me to remember because it was
    just a few weeks before I graduated from university and had to survive 3
    years without internet access). A Google Groups search suggests 5 June
    1995.

    It looks as though the mailing list may have started on 19 January 1993:
    <URL:http://www.unicycling.org/unicycling/hypermail/index.html>

    It was certainly there when I became interested in unicycling, which
    would only have been a few months after that.

    The first mention on rsu of unicyclist.com was on 9 March 2000. The
    first combined mention of "forum" and "unicyclist.com" on rsu was on 6
    September 2000. That surprised me, I could have sworn the forum was
    going earlier than that.

    --
    Danny Colyer (my reply address is valid but checked infrequently)
    <URL:http://www.colyer.plus.com/danny/>

  7. Klaas Bil

    Klaas Bil Guest

  8. swarbrim

    swarbrim Guest

  9. gkmac

    gkmac Guest

    Gilby wrote:
    > 1993 - unicycling mailing list started.
    > 1995 - rec.sport.unicycling newsgroup
    > 2001 - unicyclist.com forums
    >
    > All are linked together.

    ...to this day. But nowadays everyone seems to use the forum to post.
    Does anyone ever still use the rec.sport.unicycling USENET newsgroup,
    or even the mailing list?

    --
    gkmac
    gkmac's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4577

  10. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

    gkmac wrote:
    > ...to this day. But nowadays everyone seems to use the forum to post.
    > Does anyone ever still use the rec.sport.unicycling USENET newsgroup,
    > or even the mailing list?

    Yes. I find usenet very much more convenient to read and post to than a
    web forum.

    --

    Danny Colyer wrote:
    > David_Stone wrote:
    > > I did a search for the word 'unicycle,' and it turns up in some

    > posts
    > > from 1993 (4/15/93 was the earliest). But I'm fairly certain that

    > these
    > > pre-1999 posts were generated somewhere else.

    > I remember rsu starting in 1995 (easy for me to remember because it
    > was
    > just a few weeks before I graduated from university and had to survive
    > 3
    > years without internet access). A Google Groups search suggests 5
    > June
    > 1995.
    >
    > It looks as though the mailing list may have started on 19 January
    > 1993:
    > <URL:http://www.unicycling.org/unicycling/hypermail/index.html>
    >
    > It was certainly there when I became interested in unicycling, which
    > would only have been a few months after that.
    >
    > The first mention on rsu of unicyclist.com was on 9 March 2000. The
    > first combined mention of "forum" and "unicyclist.com" on rsu was on 6
    > September 2000. That surprised me, I could have sworn the forum was
    > going earlier than that.
    >
    > --
    > Danny Colyer (my reply address is valid but checked infrequently)
    > <URL:http://www.colyer.plus.com/danny/>
    > Subscribe to PlusNet <URL:http://www.colyer.plus.com/referral/>
    > "He who dares not offend cannot be honest." - Thomas Paine

    I dont see why in the world you would -want- to though...

    --
    forrestunifreak

    "I never thought I'd hear myself saying this but if it comes down to
    blue nipples that are (weak), or plain strong ones, I'll most likely go
    for the blue ones..."~Andrew Carter

    you cant read this!
    'My gallery' (http://tinyurl.com/bbf9x)

  12. john_childs

    john_childs Guest

    gkmac wrote:
    > ...to this day. But nowadays everyone seems to use the forum to post.
    > Does anyone ever still use the rec.sport.unicycling USENET newsgroup,
    > or even the mailing list?

    A good USENET news reader is more efficient for reading messages than
    using a web forum. With a good USENET news reader you don't have to
    click around to move on to the next message or the next thread. You
    don't have to scroll as much while reading. It means you can read more
    posts in less time.

    With the volume of posts increasing here I have been entertaining the
    idea of going back to USENET for post reading. It would allow me to
    read more in less time.

    And by a good news reader I don't mean Outlook Express, Outlook,
    Thunderbird, or Mozilla. There are better news readers available that
    are more efficient.

    --
    john_childs

    john_childs (att) hotmail (dott) com
    Gallery: http://gallery.unicyclist.com/john_childs
    'Unicycling Bookmark List' (http://backcountry.unicyclist.com/) ::
    'World Clock' (http://tinyurl.com/a99y3)

  13. I used to post through usenet back in the day... I also used to be
    registered on here as ExtremeUnicycler. When I posted on
    rec.sport.unicycling, I used to read every single new post, every day.
    There are just waaaay too many now.

    -Dylan

    --
    Dylan Wallinger

    I tried to throw away a yo-yo. It was f___ing impossible.
    Dylan Wallinger's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3797

  14. Klaas Bil

    Klaas Bil Guest

    Danny Colyer wrote:
    > Yes. I find usenet very much more convenient to read and post to than a
    > web forum.

    Me too. Currently my news reader behaves funny though, to the effect
    that I can read but not post. I'll have to reinstall it but for the
    moment I read through Usenet and post through the forum.

    --
    Klaas Bil

    I use the mailing list exclusively. I wouldn't remember to check the
    forum frequently enough, and I have no idea how or even if it
    remembers which messages I've looked at, which my mail reader is
    very good at.

    --
    Peter Haworth [email protected]
    "There are only two kinds of computer languages: