Gimme reasons not to...

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by Chavez, Jun 13, 2008.

1. Chavez

Chavez New Member

Next weekend my wife and I are going to visit some friends who live about an hour-and-a-half away; my goal for the summer was to make the 95 mile trip by bike. I haven't done a ton of distance type-training, just mashing my way through my standard 12 mile commute and getting in 20-40 mile rides where I can (which I can't much - managed one 40-miler so far).

Anyway, I'm thinking fuck it, I should just ride and have my wife follow about 4 hrs or so behind me on the same route. Anyone have a reason NOT to throw caution to the wind and go for it? At worst I should make it halfway, and it will give me a baseline for any further attempts.

Tags:

2. Powerful Pete

Powerful Pete New Member

Exactly. Just do it. For a one time ride that you will not have to redo the next day, chances are you will surprise yourself and handle it ok.

3. kdelong

kdelong Well-Known Member

Go for it! The worst that could happen is that you have a wait before your wife gets there. I think that I would have her closer than 4 hours though. Be prepared to be wacked the day after though!

4. stlblues

stlblues New Member

Just take a cell phone so if your sorry ass gives out, she knows where to pick up your corpse....but go for it.

5. Powerful Pete

Powerful Pete New Member

Good point stlblues... :)

6. Chavez

Chavez New Member

Trust me, I consider the cell phone about as essential as, oh, air during this ride. :cool:

7. Canzures

Canzures New Member

just like what they all said, just go for it and have the misses a few hours behind you just in case you can't handle it :D

8. Yojimbo_

Yojimbo_ Well-Known Member

I agree with the others - go for it. But.....seeing as you haven't done anything like this distance before, you'll find it quite a bit different from your regular rides. You will need to eat and drink quite a bit - either have enough with you or be sure to have places to stop to rewater - else, you won't make it.

Good luck - let us know how it goes.

9. Chavez

Chavez New Member

Unfortunately circumstances conspired against me and I couldn't make the ride. :mad:

10. stlblues

stlblues New Member

Your wife screwed ya over huh? LOL:D

11. Chavez

Chavez New Member

No, not really.

What happened was there was a wedding on Friday, and we didn't have a sitter - so I told my wife to go, and I'd stay home - this would've been nice prep time. But a sitter showed up at the last moment, so there went that. No prob, I didn't drink that much, I would've been fine.

...except on the way home from the sitter my daughter threw up all over the car seat. Cue an extra half hour of cleaning. No prob, I can still grab a good 6-7 hours of sleep and pack up in the morning.

...except something optional as of Friday morning became NOT optional as of Friday afternoon. No problem, I get there at 7 and ditch out early at 9. Except I ended up sticking around until 11. By the time I got home it was noon, and with no f*cking idea how long it would take me to do the 90 miles (I was estimating 7 hrs) on top of not being packed up and ready to roll.

So I said screw it.

You ever notice that, before you realize it, the really good riding weather goes *poof*?

12. stlblues

stlblues New Member

Who are you telling, try living in Missouri, we have higher temps then you, and our days have been running 65% to 80% humidity, NOT when its raining, then its really bad. We used to cross country ski in Wis, you have no humidity up there. And kids can throw a wrench into many plans, I know they don't mean to and I wouldn't trade mine for anything. Mine have hit the age where we can leave them alone, but something can always come up.

13. Chavez

Chavez New Member

Dude, 76% humidity right now. At 11:30 at night. Wisconsin may be, on average, a bit cooler and less humid than Mizzou, but trust me, we still have PLENTY of summer days where I'm waiting for the VC to pop out from behind a tree and start taking shots at me.*

* - this is a joke comparing our weather to Southeast Asia. And since I felt the need to explain it, probably not a very funny one.

14. stlblues

stlblues New Member

Tuesday night at my daughters softball game, wrapped up just after 10pm with a heat index of 87degrees. I've spent plenty of time in Wis, Mich, Minn. and trust me, we have it much worse. We've traveled the country coast to coast several times, the only place that rivals the miserable conditions here is central to southern Fla and Gulf coast. We have grown gills around here. I think you have bigger mosquitos though....ours are just the size of a Cesna Piper Cub.

15. TheDarkLord

TheDarkLord New Member

Go to any tropical country in summer, and it will be much worse.

16. stlblues

stlblues New Member

Haven't been to the Amazon yet, the Bahamas weren't that bad and a friend goes to Belize in the summer to escape MO summers.

17. Chavez

Chavez New Member

My friend has been to Southeast Asia a few times, and he has been known to say "I've been to Malaysia, and this is WORSE!" - though it may be sort of a relative thing; we only get brief bursts of it - a week, at most, usually; I know that when you're in Vietnam, you pretty much have to be prepared to sit in a sauna from May to September.

I think Henry Rollins was talking about being in Thailand, and how he was outside and just standing there, concentrating on not moving, because "once that first bead of sweat rolls down the middle of your back, it's over. You are going to be head-to-toe drenched almost instantly."

18. kdelong

kdelong Well-Known Member

Been to SE Asia several times, and not by choice. Henry Rollins was right, except where I was, you were either not moving at all or moving very fast! With that said, Ohio summers are pretty brutal too. High humidity all day and then it turns to rain in the evening, just to evaporate the next day and fall that evening in week long cycles. The absolute worst that I have ever experienced though was in Southern Alabama. You know its bad when the insects go underground during the heat of the day just to cool off.