Ginseng Interaction

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by Dave, Oct 9, 2003.

  1. Dave

    Dave Guest

    Use During Pregnancy and Lactation

    The Commission E reports no known restrictions on the use of ginseng during
    pregnancy and lactation. Although the British Herbal Compendium
    contraindicates ginseng during pregnancy, this is not substantiated by use
    in Asia or by the Commission E (McGuffin et al., 1997). However, controlled,
    long-term safety studies have not been conducted. WHO has also reiterated
    that the safety of ginseng use during pregnancy has not been established,
    although it noted that ginseng is not teratogenic (WHO, 1999).

    Interactions with Other Drugs

    The British Herbal Compendium contraindicates the use of ginseng with
    stimulants, including excessive use of caffeine (Bradley, 1992). The WHO
    monograph cites two cases of ginseng interaction with phenelzine, a
    monoamine oxidase inhibitor, although the clinical significance of this
    interaction was yet to be determined (WHO, 1999).

    Tags:

  2. Hawki63

    Hawki63 Guest

    >Subject: Ginseng Interaction
    >From: "Dave" [email protected]
    >Date: 10/9/2003 9:18 AM Pacific Daylight Time
    >
    >Use During Pregnancy and Lact

    >However, controlled,
    >long-term safety studies have not been conducted. WHO has also reiterated
    >that the safety of ginseng use during pregnancy has not been established,
    >although it noted that ginseng is not teratogenic (WHO, 1999).

    oh so now you are pimping it to pregnant ladies??

    did you READ the above..."controlled long term safety studies have NOT been
    conducted.....safety of ginseng use during pregnancy has not been established"

    duh

    Look up Class C drugs and pregnancy....
    hawki

  3. Orac

    Orac Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Use During Pregnancy and Lactation
    >
    > The Commission E reports no known restrictions on the use of ginseng during
    > pregnancy and lactation. Although the British Herbal Compendium
    > contraindicates ginseng during pregnancy, this is not substantiated by use
    > in Asia or by the Commission E (McGuffin et al., 1997). However, controlled,
    > long-term safety studies have not been conducted. WHO has also reiterated
    > that the safety of ginseng use during pregnancy has not been established,
    > although it noted that ginseng is not teratogenic (WHO, 1999).
    >

    > Interactions with Other Drugs
    >
    > The British Herbal Compendium contraindicates the use of ginseng with
    > stimulants, including excessive use of caffeine (Bradley, 1992). The WHO
    > monograph cites two cases of ginseng interaction with phenelzine, a
    > monoamine oxidase inhibitor, although the clinical significance of this
    > interaction was yet to be determined (WHO, 1999).

    But Glowlife Dave, I thought you've said many times that Ginseng is
    "food" not "medicine" and that it doesn't interact with other
    medications. You appear to be contradicting yourself.

    |"If you cannot listen to the answers, why do you