Gios cinquantenario frame

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by threadless, May 19, 2003.

1. threadless

threadless New Member

Does anybody own a Gios frame, particularly the cinquantenario?
    I'm thinking about having one to replace my Vitus797.
    How do they ride & handle & what fork would you put with it?
    I like the fact that it's blue, in my price range & doesn't have mega sized tubes.

Tags:

2. glynrd

glynrd New Member

I Have two. My first was Professional. It rides great. With its steep geometry, I could climb and sprint better than on any other bike I had, and I could ride forever on it, but I had the urge to upgrade components and move into the age of indexed shifting.

I now have a Cinquantenario. I was hesitant to buy this frame because of my previous experience with fat tubed aluminum (read ultra stiff piece of junk Cannondale).

The Cinquantenario is a fantastic frame. Mine is equipped w/ 2002 Campy Record, and a stock Mizuno Carbon fork (w/ carbon steerer). The chrome on the chain and seat stays looks great, and eliminates the need for the ugly chainstay protectors.

The welds are fantastic, and the paint is soo blue that I'm still getting comments on it from people who regularly see this bike.

The frame is stiff, but I've been able to ride centuries on it without any pain or numbness. This could be because of the carbon fork, or the wheels (28 h Record hubs on Mavic Open Pro CD, 3 cross).

As equipped it weighs in at just under 17 lbs. With a little effort and a lot of money, I figure you could knock off two pounds.

I figure that if it was good enough to be ridden to 3rd in the Tour, then its good enough for me.

3. boudreaux

boudreaux New Member

Isn't it just polished aluminum?

4. glynrd

glynrd New Member

Yeah, but it still looks light years better than dinged paint.

5. Ralph Ray

Ralph Ray New Member

Hey Glynrd, what tour did you place 3rd in?

6. boudreaux

boudreaux New Member

It will look real sheotty when it gets dinged. Get a protector.

7. darrenf

darrenf New Member

Whats also really great about gios frames is that you can buy gios blue touch up paint so you can cover up any ding's, stone chips, scratches etc so your frame looks like new for ever.

I have a steel Gios Lite frame which is now 6 years old and still looks brand spankers. Would love to upgrade to the cinquantenario but costs quite a bit. Also, I am trying to work out why it costs more than the A90. It seems to be just the design, ie more chrome but is there anything more fundamental than this.

Agreed about the gios blue colour. It's such a rich blue and good paint job it looks great, especially when polished and the sun's shining on it.