Gipiemme Grecal Parade Wheels - Any Feedback?

David Peake

Guest
I see some for sale on Ebay; they look pretty cool. However, I haven't
heard anything about them. I'm thinking of asking Santa for a pair, but are
they any good?

TIA,

Dave

"David Peake" <[email protected]> writes:

>I see some for sale on Ebay; they look pretty cool. However, I haven't
>heard anything about them. I'm thinking of asking Santa for a pair, but are
>they any good?

I saw a review of a bike (maybe the red/black 2003 Pinarello Surprise
- a low-end model) in Bicycling+ about 1.5 years ago. They said these
rims were heavy (apparently, 2000 grams w/skewers), like mounting
boulders onto your hubs. They did not think these rims were a good
deal at any price.

- Don Gillies

Donald Gillies wrote:
> "David Peake" <[email protected]> writes:
>
> >I see some for sale on Ebay; they look pretty cool. However, I haven't
> >heard anything about them. I'm thinking of asking Santa for a pair, but are
> >they any good?

> I saw a review of a bike (maybe the red/black 2003 Pinarello Surprise
> - a low-end model) in Bicycling+ about 1.5 years ago. They said these
> rims were heavy (apparently, 2000 grams w/skewers), like mounting
> boulders onto your hubs. They did not think these rims were a good
> deal at any price.
>
> - Don Gillies

hmmm-weigh any hub to Openpros with skewers and they aren't that much
lighter than 2000 grams...about 200 grams(about 7-8 ounces) in a
rider/bike package of 180-200 pounds(85,000+ grams)...reliability of
the wheels/hubs is what I would be worried about, not the weight.

In article <[email protected]>, Donald Gillies
<[email protected]> wrote:

> "David Peake" <[email protected]> writes:
>
> >I see some for sale on Ebay; they look pretty cool. However, I haven't
> >heard anything about them. I'm thinking of asking Santa for a pair, but are
> >they any good?

> I saw a review of a bike (maybe the red/black 2003 Pinarello Surprise
> - a low-end model) in Bicycling+ about 1.5 years ago. They said these
> rims were heavy (apparently, 2000 grams w/skewers), like mounting
> boulders onto your hubs. They did not think these rims were a good
> deal at any price.
>
> - Don Gillies

These Parade wheels come stock on many middle end Cannondale road
bikes. They've got a unique spoke arrangement, but look rather clumsy.
The hubs are an unknown, so you'll be better served by buying hand
built CXP-22 or 33 paired with 105 or Ultegra hubs.

But, if you are dying to buy these aero fancy spoked ready made wheels,
the Velocity Spartacus or the Neuvation R28 Aero are good buys with
good sealed hubs..

David.

Yes, good advice.

The Neuvation wheels are better and cheaper. Avoid the "Parade"
wheels, heavy junk.