Gipiemme track crank, which BB?

Tom Paterson

Guest
What replacement BB would be best for a Gipiemme track crank, other than the somewhat rare,
expensive, and maybe not so hot stock part? The only info I've found so far is "109" given as an
identifier. Would prefer to use a Campy unit if possible. TIA, Tom Paterson

On 07 Apr 2003 14:37:56 GMT, [email protected] (Tom Paterson) wrote:

>What replacement BB would be best for a Gipiemme track crank, other than the somewhat rare,
>expensive, and maybe not so hot stock part? The only info I've found so far is "109" given as an
>identifier. Would prefer to use a Campy unit if possible. TIA, Tom Paterson

If you can find one, I wouldn't shy from using GPM's own unit.

As you note, some vintage Campagnolo models with 109mm spindles and symmetrical overhangs should be
functional equivalents. These include Record track (model 1046 series), Victory (for double
chainring) and early C-Record Pista (model 303/102, before they changed to 111mm spindles).
Unfortunately, any of these may prove to be as costly and/or elusive as the OEM crankbearing.

-------------------------------
http://www.businesscycles.com John Dacey Business Cycles, Miami, Florida 305-273-4440 Now in our
twentieth year. Our catalog of track equipment: seventh year online
-------------------------------

dustoyevsky-<< The only info I've found so far is "109" given as an identifier. Would prefer to use
a Campy unit if possible.

For inexpensive, a 111mm AC-H, for expensive, a NOS cup and cone Record(Pista) BB-also 111mm-

On 08 Apr 2003 12:54:02 GMT, [email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo) wrote:

>dustoyevsky-<< The only info I've found so far is "109" given as an identifier. Would prefer to use
>a Campy unit if possible.
>
>For inexpensive, a 111mm AC-H, for expensive, a NOS cup and cone Record(Pista) BB-also 111mm-

You might reexamine your readiness to suborn compromising the chainline on track and fixed-gear
bikes. No less a luminary than Sheldon "By The Numbers" Brown has written on this very group that,
regarding the subject of fixed-gear chainline, that " I generally consider anything more than 1 mm
to be 'off' and anything more than 2 mm to be seriously 'off'". Paired with a GPM track crank, the
chainline error with either of the two bottom brackets you suggest will be not less than 1 mm when
used with most commonly configured track hubs.

-------------------------------
http://www.businesscycles.com John Dacey Business Cycles, Miami, Florida 305-273-4440 Now in our
twentieth year. Our catalog of track equipment: seventh year online
-------------------------------

<< What replacement BB would be best for a Gipiemme track crank, other than the somewhat rare,
expensive, and maybe not so hot stock part?

After looking thru my 'stuff', I do have a 109mm Campagnolo cup and cone BB-Italian
threads-interested??

>From: [email protected]

>After looking thru my 'stuff', I do have a 109mm Campagnolo cup and cone BB-Italian
>threads-interested??

Response via email, tnx as usual/often Vecchio. --TP

"Tom Paterson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> >From: [email protected]
>
> >After looking thru my 'stuff', I do have a 109mm Campagnolo cup and
cone
> >BB-Italian threads-interested??
>
> Response via email, tnx as usual/often Vecchio. --TP

Take note of the caution about chain line. 2 mm off with the chain ring inside of the rear cog will
court disaster if you are planning to race on the track or use it for jumps and sprints.
Misalignment of the chain ring by 1mm or so to the outside of the cog is tolerable and in my opinion
even desirable. BB flex is normally not symmetrical due to the effect of chain tension with more
flex to the left when cranking hard with the right crankarm. The resulting deflection at the bottom
of the chain ring can cause your chain to run off the rear cog.

Phil Holman

> dustoyevsky-<< The only info I've found so far is "109" given as an identifier. Would prefer to
> use a Campy unit if possible.

I believe I have a Gipiemme track bottom bracket...drop me a line if you still need one.

Baird

--
Baird Webel Washington DC