Girl needs help!!

mali

Jun 1, 2003
Hi there everyone, I have been riding for about 5 months, but needs lots of trainning - I ride for fitness, every day about 1hr - but have indoor trainner and have no ideia what to do to accomplish something.
I purchased a heart monitor today, and would like to train as to improve my performance, get fit, go faster, stay with the "mad"guy I ride with etc..
Could anyone of you, more experience people, please help me lay out a weekly program? what intensity to start, what HR to achieve bla, bla, bla, I know nothing, but would like to follow some schedule, and who knows, I may even enter some fun races... please help me!!
thank you guys

mali:

When training indoors, you have to break up the workouts into periods of a few to many minutes in order to maintain your sanity. If you ride an hour continuously every day on a trainer, you will probably lose interest very quickly.

Warm up for 15 minutes and cooldown for 15 minutes that's a half hour right there.

That leaves 30 minutes for "work." In this 30 minute block, you can do sprints, 3-5 minute intervals, isolated leg training, longer 20-30 minute time trial intervals, or just a moderate 30 minute ride. The possibilities are endless, these are but a few examples.

Good luck!!!

Originally posted by mali
Hi there everyone, I have been riding for about 5 months, but needs lots of trainning - I ride for fitness, every day about 1hr - but have indoor trainner and have no ideia what to do to accomplish something.
I purchased a heart monitor today, and would like to train as to improve my performance, get fit, go faster, stay with the "mad"guy I ride with etc..
Could anyone of you, more experience people, please help me lay out a weekly program? what intensity to start, what HR to achieve bla, bla, bla, I know nothing, but would like to follow some schedule, and who knows, I may even enter some fun races... please help me!!
thank you guys

I have a female friend that is in your situation. This is what I tell her and it might help you. Since she is new to riding, told her to get use to riding. Find your legs first. Who cares about HR, distance, intervals, etc... Just get your **** use to the saddle and improve bike handling skills first. Improve diet, ride 1-2 hours daily and try a longer 3-4 hour ride on week-end. Fitness does not come all at once. Takes time and having a set routine with HR, distance, etc might be to differcult at first.

Hope this helps....

Memph

Thanks you guys, I will follow your suggestions, and hope to grow in my cycling.

Its me again, J-Mat what should be the intensity - mhr of my training? Thanks once again

Its me again, J-Mat what should be the intensity - mhr of my training? Thanks once again

Do not worry about these yet. As you ride for such a short period of time. An hour is most cyclists warm up & down. Get use to being able to ride 2-3 hours daily. Then worry about these other ways of training...

Memph

Mali:

What Memphmann is trying to say is you need to lay down a base, but if you are already riding an hour a day for 5 months, it's time to start doing more.

If you know what you are doing, you can build/maintain very high levels of power output with 5-8 hours per week of proper training. Most top amateurs, especially master's athletes over 30 have to juggle a family, professional career, and elite-level riding. They have no choice but to train hard. 2-3 hours every day is not an option, yet these riders have very impressive levels of power output and performance.

Basically, you can ride long hours at lower intensity or you can ride harder for shorter periods and get the same aerobic benefit. If you are short on time, you have no choice but to work harder for shorter periods.

Most riders train inefficiently, wasting a lot of time. Years ago when I was in school and worked part time, I rode about 13,000-15,000 miles a year. My fitness was real good, but I had time for nothing else. It's not until you get more in your life that you start to become an efficient time manager and start riding for results with the time you have.

You can get championship performances with 60-90 minute workouts. On the trainer or road, warm up and cool down for 10-15 minutes. That takes care of 20-30 minutes and is important. That leaves you 30-40 minutes for work with a 60 minute workout, and 60-70 minutes for work over a 90 minute ride.

The most productive thing a rider can do is increase aerobically produced power. Generally speaking this means working around 83-92% of maximum heart rate. Well trained riders can time trial around 92% of maximum heart rate for about an hour. Training at lower aerobic levels (80-83%) is also quite beneficial.

You can do short blocks like 3-5-8+ minutes with a few minutes of recovery/easy riding in between, or you can ride continuously for 10-30-60 minutes. There is so much overlap between the heart rates, don't worry about being too specific for now.

If you are going to train at 80-85%, it's probably best to focus on continous efforts of 2x15 or 3x10 minute blocks on the trainer since it is mentally harder to keep going longer indoors. If you can stand it, ride for longer (20-30 minutes) on the trainer. Outdoors shoot for 30-60 minutes continously.

The idea is to maximally stress the heart without generating very much lactic acid. The higher the heart rate, the more acid you will generate. Shoot for 3 times a week at 80-85% as an ideal minimum.

If you are going to race, you need higher training intensity, like 86-92%. The higher the intensity, generally the shorter the effort. 3-6 x 5 minutes at around 90+% is common, although if you can do that for 10-20-30 minutes that's even better.

Do more of your training at the lower end (80-85%) and less of it at the high end. Mix things up from time to time. Don't always do the same workout every ride. Once or twice a week (weekend?)ride longer, and do some hills.

You might get tired by jumping into more intensity than you are used to. Build up gradually, but steadily. Keep a training journal and log intensity, duration, cadences and subjective thoughts on the ride (good ride, bad ride, etc.).

Ride easy between hard workouts, around 60-65-70% of max heart rate. Recovery rides should feel very easy and not like work. If you are too tired/not recovered just ride easy or maybe take the day off. Don't skip meals, and get plenty of sleep.

Put a cadence meter on your bike and pay attention to your legspeed. Cadences of 90-95-100-105 rpm stress the heart more than lower cadences like 70-85 rpm which stress the leg muscles more. Work on both. It will provide variety and make you a better rider.

Happy training!!!

uau! J-Mat what a wonderful detailed explanation. Thankyou so much for the effort in explaining it - now I really understand it, and everything makes more sense now.
I am so glad I found this forum, ignorance is such a terrible thing.
I will enjoy trainning more now that I know what I am doing.
bye guys - you will hear of me again..... takes me time to grasp things...

Originally posted by J-MAT
Mali:

What Memphmann is trying to say is you need to lay down a base, but if you are already riding an hour a day for 5 months, it's time to start doing more.

If you know what you are doing, you can build/maintain very high levels of power output with 5-8 hours per week of proper training. Most top amateurs, especially master's athletes over 30 have to juggle a family, professional career, and elite-level riding. They have no choice but to train hard. 2-3 hours every day is not an option, yet these riders have very impressive levels of power output and performance.

Basically, you can ride long hours at lower intensity or you can ride harder for shorter periods and get the same aerobic benefit. If you are short on time, you have no choice but to work harder for shorter periods.

Most riders train inefficiently, wasting a lot of time. Years ago when I was in school and worked part time, I rode about 13,000-15,000 miles a year. My fitness was real good, but I had time for nothing else. It's not until you get more in your life that you start to become an efficient time manager and start riding for results with the time you have.

You can get championship performances with 60-90 minute workouts. On the trainer or road, warm up and cool down for 10-15 minutes. That takes care of 20-30 minutes and is important. That leaves you 30-40 minutes for work with a 60 minute workout, and 60-70 minutes for work over a 90 minute ride.

The most productive thing a rider can do is increase aerobically produced power. Generally speaking this means working around 83-92% of maximum heart rate. Well trained riders can time trial around 92% of maximum heart rate for about an hour. Training at lower aerobic levels (80-83%) is also quite beneficial.

You can do short blocks like 3-5-8+ minutes with a few minutes of recovery/easy riding in between, or you can ride continuously for 10-30-60 minutes. There is so much overlap between the heart rates, don't worry about being too specific for now.

If you are going to train at 80-85%, it's probably best to focus on continous efforts of 2x15 or 3x10 minute blocks on the trainer since it is mentally harder to keep going longer indoors. If you can stand it, ride for longer (20-30 minutes) on the trainer. Outdoors shoot for 30-60 minutes continously.

The idea is to maximally stress the heart without generating very much lactic acid. The higher the heart rate, the more acid you will generate. Shoot for 3 times a week at 80-85% as an ideal minimum.

If you are going to race, you need higher training intensity, like 86-92%. The higher the intensity, generally the shorter the effort. 3-6 x 5 minutes at around 90+% is common, although if you can do that for 10-20-30 minutes that's even better.

Do more of your training at the lower end (80-85%) and less of it at the high end. Mix things up from time to time. Don't always do the same workout every ride. Once or twice a week (weekend?)ride longer, and do some hills.

You might get tired by jumping into more intensity than you are used to. Build up gradually, but steadily. Keep a training journal and log intensity, duration, cadences and subjective thoughts on the ride (good ride, bad ride, etc.).

Ride easy between hard workouts, around 60-65-70% of max heart rate. Recovery rides should feel very easy and not like work. If you are too tired/not recovered just ride easy or maybe take the day off. Don't skip meals, and get plenty of sleep.

Put a cadence meter on your bike and pay attention to your legspeed. Cadences of 90-95-100-105 rpm stress the heart more than lower cadences like 70-85 rpm which stress the leg muscles more. Work on both. It will provide variety and make you a better rider.

Happy training!!!

Everything you wrote made excellent points except the time. Please tell me how you can train for a three hour race by only training 60-90 minutes. What happens to the missing time spent on the bike. We all have lifes, but if totally serious, you find the time to train hard 3 hours plus. This way a three hour race seems easy.......

Memph

Originally posted by Memphmann
Everything you wrote made excellent points except the time. Please tell me how you can train for a three hour race by only training 60-90 minutes. What happens to the missing time spent on the bike. We all have lifes, but if totally serious, you find the time to train hard 3 hours plus. This way a three hour race seems easy.......

Memph

I think that he is taking in consideration that I am a total novice, and in my dreams will I go for a tree hour race.....
I Think the reply is for people like me..... who needs to grow into something -
I dont want to ask how much do you train, I will probably give up on cycling,,,:p

I think that he is taking in consideration that I am a total novice, and in my dreams will I go for a tree hour race.....
I Think the reply is for people like me..... who needs to grow into something -
I dont want to ask how much do you train, I will probably give up on cycling,,,:p

I understand what you are writting and it is excellent that you are seeking assistance. Congrats on choosing cycling to get in shape. An hour is a good amount of time to ride. Here is a question for you. Would you rather ride a fast hour or be able to ride 2-3 hours?

I ride basically 4-5 hours daily at 30-35 km/h.....

Memph

Memphmann:

It's good that you have to train 4-5 hours a day. Enjoy it while you can!!!

It's very difficult to fit in an 8 hour workday, spend time with your wife and kids, take care of other responsibilities and then find 4-5 hours to ride your bike. If you work 8 hours and ride 5 hours, that's 13 hours a day, leaving 11 hours for sleep and your friends/family.

Francesco Moser and Graehm Obree set the professional hour record by using only 60 minute workouts. I know people who ride big miles almost daily. None of them could ride 30 mph for an hour however.

If there is a prize or end result for logging huge miles great, but winning a national time trial championship would say more than anything else, and that would take well under an hour to complete. The point is, 99% of people who race are amateurs, and 99% of amateur racing is 10-25 mile TT's and 45-60 minute criteriums.

Occasionally, you will find an actual road race, though most aren't over 40-80 miles, at least in the U.S. since people here don't respect cyclists like they do in other countries, making road closures a rarity (watch that centerline!!!). Short RR's are hard to organize, let lone longer ones, leaving most racers with events of 60 minutes or less.

You only need endurance rides once or twice a week anyway, and can maintain the endurance you have by riding the distance once every two weeks or so.

By far, power is the hardest and most difficult fitness to acquire. Endurance is easy to get, just get on your bike and ride long.

Instead of doing 4-5 hours a day, you would be much better off doing 150+ miles once a week and sticking with shorter rides of 1-2 hours for the most part the rest of the week, focusing mostly on power development.

Additionally, if you have good one-hour power, that can translate well into a strong 2-3 hour ride at a lower pace, even if you don't really do endurance rides. It has been noted that people who regularily train at high intensities have remarkable endurance, even if they don't really train for it.

I do recommend long endurance rides for anyone racing however, always going way over the miles you will race and not going by hours. If a pro rider rode 5 hours at 10 mph, that's only 50 miles, even though they rode 5 hours. They will not fare well racing 5 hours at 26 mph, around 130 miles. However if you rode 150-200 miles as hard as you could, you will easily handle 130 miles of pro racing without any problems as long as you were properly trained in other areas.

Riding longer once or twice a week is all anyone needs to ride well on longer rides. The only time you really need to ride long daily is for someone who will be doing lots of stage racing, such as a typical European based pro with a full race schedule.

Memphmann:

It's good that you have to train 4-5 hours a day. Enjoy it while you can!!!

It's very difficult to fit in an 8 hour workday, spend time with your wife and kids, take care of other responsibilities and then find 4-5 hours to ride your bike. If you work 8 hours and ride 5 hours, that's 13 hours a day, leaving 11 hours for sleep and your friends/family.

Francesco Moser and Graehm Obree set the professional hour record by using only 60 minute workouts. I know people who ride big miles almost daily. None of them could ride 30 mph for an hour however.

If there is a prize or end result for logging huge miles great, but winning a national time trial championship would say more than anything else, and that would take well under an hour to complete. The point is, 99% of people who race are amateurs, and 99% of amateur racing is 10-25 mile TT's and 45-60 minute criteriums.

Occasionally, you will find an actual road race, though most aren't over 40-80 miles, at least in the U.S. since people here don't respect cyclists like they do in other countries, making road closures a rarity (watch that centerline!!!). Short RR's are hard to organize, let lone longer ones, leaving most racers with events of 60 minutes or less.

You only need endurance rides once or twice a week anyway, and can maintain the endurance you have by riding the distance once every two weeks or so.

By far, power is the hardest and most difficult fitness to acquire. Endurance is easy to get, just get on your bike and ride long.

Instead of doing 4-5 hours a day, you would be much better off doing 150+ miles once a week and sticking with shorter rides of 1-2 hours for the most part the rest of the week, focusing mostly on power development.

Additionally, if you have good one-hour power, that can translate well into a strong 2-3 hour ride at a lower pace, even if you don't really do endurance rides. It has been noted that people who regularily train at high intensities have remarkable endurance, even if they don't really train for it.

I do recommend long endurance rides for anyone racing however, always going way over the miles you will race and not going by hours. If a pro rider rode 5 hours at 10 mph, that's only 50 miles, even though they rode 5 hours. They will not fare well racing 5 hours at 26 mph, around 130 miles. However if you rode 150-200 miles as hard as you could, you will easily handle 130 miles of pro racing without any problems as long as you were properly trained in other areas.

Riding longer once or twice a week is all anyone needs to ride well on longer rides. The only time you really need to ride long daily is for someone who will be doing lots of stage racing, such as a typical European based pro with a full race schedule.

Everything you wrote made a good point, except for amount of time training. Sure it is differcult finding time to train. People have to give up something to train.

I work 8.5 hours, 1/2 hour travel time, have a child, sleep, and exercise. Gave up a better paying job which would of taken me longer to commute. Just so I could have more time to train. Was it worse the loss of the extra $$. Every week-end when I chase down and drop the week-end warriors, I know it was.

Yes most races over here are short and geared toward the crowd (crits). But training 1-2 hours daily seems short. If I train at 3hrs, compared to someone at 1hrs. Their first hr would be faster then mine, but my third hr hour would be faster then theirs. So overall in a longer race, would be better able to perform.

Guess we all have our own ways of training. Which is correct? That is a matter of personal choice......

Memph

Memphmann:

Your work ethic is to be commended. It would appear you are one of the lucky ones who is able to fit it all in and not be at war with the ones around you. More power to you.

As far as which way is best to train, results are the only thing that matters, so however you get your results, get them.

However, if you ever find that in the future you need to cut back on hours in the saddle for whatever reason, you will still be able to fly with proper training and less riding.

Happy miles!!!

Memphmann:

Your work ethic is to be commended. It would appear you are one of the lucky ones who is able to fit it all in and not be at war with the ones around you. More power to you.

As far as which way is best to train, results are the only thing that matters, so however you get your results, get them.

However, if you ever find that in the future you need to cut back on hours in the saddle for whatever reason, you will still be able to fly with proper training and less riding.

Happy miles!!!

Thank-you. Yes I am lucky the ppl around me understand what I am going thru. Then again, cycling has been in mine/their lives for over ten years. They are happy to see me back on my bike.

Good luck to you also. May our paths cross one day.......

Memph