Girls?

I think there are Olympic trials that you do a year or so before the actual games. Probably helps now to become a professional rider as well.

Wonder where cyclist_chic went?

I saw the title of this thread and that it has run to 5 pages.....then I read (some of) it

now I'm pretty disappointed.....:(

Hi - Your are right about marathons, but I was talking about ultra marathons (i.e. races of 50+ miles). While I am not sure about records, I do know it is not uncommon for female runners to post the fastest overall times in extreme endurance races. None the less, I think the point is that the young lady who started this stream has set a goal of beating the boys. We are all better off if she is encouraged to try rather than being told it cannot be done. As the father of two girls, I personally hope that some day the right woman with the right team at the right time will make the boys in the peliton a little nervous. That will only make everyone work harder.

Regards,

Joe
WINGNUTT said:
I just looked it up... female marathon records are around 10 minutes slower than the mens' records.
http://www.marathonguide.com/history/records/index.cfm

No offense , but it doesnt matter even if she is good enough one day.
Cycling is like all physical sports , the men and women are kept seperate.
Women might get to compete against men in golf , snooker , pool , etc , one day - where skill is as important as any physical prowess - but when it comes to atheltic type events and sports , then its a looooong way off from ever being a reality.
Whats more ,you're dealing with the French and Europeans here , who are relatively chauvanistic.Even if America allowed women to compete with men in top cycling/atheltic events , the Europeans would carry on as they have done for years - they set up a special Female version of the TdF anyway - aim to win that , thats more than enough of a challenge for a lifetime.

They might not admit it publicly but with the tradition and histroy in the TdF , Giro and Vuelta , it'd be over alot of dead bodies before they allowed a woman to enter.

Frankly this discussion is pie in the sky.

Roadrash Dunc said:
They might not admit it publicly but with the tradition and histroy in the TdF , Giro and Vuelta , it'd be over alot of dead bodies before they allowed a woman to enter.

Frankly this discussion is pie in the sky.

When ever a women can match the top men in a time trial then we can start having this discussion.
The women marathon record being 10 minutes slower means they are two miles back.

WINGNUTT said:
Just being honest here, but no girl could ever possibly win the TDF - it's not a matter of training or will power, it's a matter of the physical attributes of women vs. men. Women simply don't have the same ability to produce power that men have, which is why there are so many sports where women cannot compete on a level playing field with men.

That being said, you sound as though you have a lot of natural talent and endurance, and you should continue to compete as much as you can and kick as many guys' asses as possible. You should not, however, make it your career goal to win the TDF because it's not possible if you are a natural born woman. This is meant with no disprespect to women's athletics - there are many talents and physical attributes that women have that make them better in some areas (endurance swimming, for example). When it comes to winning the TDF, however, it can't be done by a woman, even though it would be great to see a woman in the race.

A top female cyclist could most definitely compete with the men in the Tour. Could she win? there I have my doubts. a top female climbers in the world could stick pretty darn close to the top males, but in a flat TT? no chance. even Jeannie Longo would get her doors blown right off by Roberto Heras, never mind a monster like Ullrick or Indurain. Indurain sustained 500+ watts over an hour or more. women, physiologically speaking, can't come close.

but, I'd love to see a girl win the KOM competition. mmm, polka dots... ;)

-Matt

allezkmiec said:
A top female cyclist could most definitely compete with the men in the Tour. Could she win? there I have my doubts. a top female climbers in the world could stick pretty darn close to the top males, but in a flat TT? no chance. even Jeannie Longo would get her doors blown right off by Roberto Heras, never mind a monster like Ullrick or Indurain. Indurain sustained 500+ watts over an hour or more. women, physiologically speaking, can't come close.

but, I'd love to see a girl win the KOM competition. mmm, polka dots... ;)

-Matt

wrong on all counts. Elite women could get nowhere near elite men at any race, any terrain.

ed073 said:
wrong on all counts. Elite women could get nowhere near elite men at any race, any terrain.

look at the Mount Washington Hillclimb; the year Danielson and Genevieve Jeanson set the records, Jeanson placed 3rd OVERALL, in a field of 500. and she's not even the best climber on the women's racing circuit. Danielson, however, is near the top of the game, pure climbing ability-wise.

climbing steep climbs is all about strength to weight ratio, and in that aspect of things, the gap narrows considerably. Genevieve would kick the ass out of a lot of male pros up the steeps. I'd like to see Cipollini, Magnus Backstedt or Michael Rich get up Washington in an hour, let alone the 54-odd minutes she did.

allezkmiec said:
look at the Mount Washington Hillclimb; the year Danielson and Genevieve Jeanson set the records, Jeanson placed 3rd OVERALL, in a field of 500. and she's not even the best climber on the women's racing circuit. Danielson, however, is near the top of the game, pure climbing ability-wise.

climbing steep climbs is all about strength to weight ratio, and in that aspect of things, the gap narrows considerably. Genevieve would kick the ass out of a lot of male pros up the steeps. I'd like to see Cipollini, Magnus Backstedt or Michael Rich get up Washington in an hour, let alone the 54-odd minutes she did.

That was an awesome ride, no doubt. I stand corrected!! I'd forgotten about that day!

I havn't read all of thread but cos im a girl, I thought I better add my 10 cents!!

Yeah, that would be pretty damn cool if girls could compete in TdF but we can't and thats fair enough too. When it comes to male vs female things you have to look at what the sport is. If its chess, thats fine. Male and female brains are made equal. (well us girls are better!!) So thats a fair game. But when it comes to physical games like cycling its not even going to be a contest. 9 times out of ten at the least, a male will beat a female. Thats just how we are made. I don't have a problem with it.

I guess a female version of TdF would be good. Or something with the same amount of public profile and winning status if you get what im saying. But is there really a need for it? The female cyclists still get olympic and world champs etc so its not like females are invisable to the sport. But most people who do cycling are drawn to the TdF, and it would be the ultimate for a girl to have a chance of 'living the dream' of competing in the TdF, and just because the men get to live that dream it shouldn't really mean that women can't. But there has never been a female version of TdF and there probably never will be. Women just have to make do with the World Champs. If you win that, you are best in the world. Thats almost as good as winning TdF, so we just have to be happy with that. Its not the real thing, but close enough. For me anyway. Not that iv'e got anything to do with elite womens cycling or anything lol!!! :D

There is actually a female Tour de France...I think it's called the Grand Boucle, although that could just be the nickname of the (male's) TdF. Anyway, it's much shorter than the other TdF, and also seems to not have a consistent schedule (I don't think there was one this year).

As others have stated, women typically are better at climbing mountains, so that could be an area in which a "co-ed" competition could occur. Or, there could be an "equalizer," such as the Lifetime Fitness triathlon has, in which women are given a head-start on men (depending on some formula). That of course, has its ramifications.

keydates said:
There is actually a female Tour de France...I think it's called the Grand Boucle, although that could just be the nickname of the (male's) TdF. Anyway, it's much shorter than the other TdF, and also seems to not have a consistent schedule (I don't think there was one this year).

Tour Feminin

Le Grand Boucle is another name for the Tour de France. "The big lap."

cyclist_chic said:
Right now I average about a 23 MPH speed and can ride 4 hours a day comfortably 5 and still be alive, but the crazy thing is and my dad almost died is that i have only been training for three days, i mean i do pilates but i just started riding three days ago and i can beat the local guys in town that have been riding for weeks. the only thing i am having problems with right now are the climbs they just kill me
Guy speaking
Hi, Im 14 and I ran cross-country for three years ( MVP two years:D )

I started cycling 6 months ago and I have put in 1500 Miles, I do about 200 a week and during the summer I am going to race on a team.

I have a Nishiki Century (road bike) and a Mountainsmith Cairn (mountain bike).

Like you I can beat some of the other guys and unlike you hills are my strong point, I can plod up a 3/4 mile hill at an average speed of about 18 MPH I always breakaway from the group on hills.

So what kind of bike do you have and where do you live?

SEE YOU IN THE TOUR DE FRANCE!!!:D

Reading the TDF regulations, I can find nothing that says that women are not allowed in the race.

Suffice it to say that there is a lot of money tied up in how well teams perform in July. If there was a woman who could win the TDF she would added to a team.

DiabloScott said:
From Cyclingnews.com:

Good training for Ljungskog
Swedish World Champion Susanne Ljungskog successfully completed Sunday's 197 km Scandinavian Open, the first woman ever to do so in a UCI classed men's race. Ljungskog finished in 57th position, 13'56 behind winner Marcus Ljungqvist, with a personal average speed of 42.2 km/h.

"I'm really pleased with this race, and it feels important to me, both as a preparation for the Olympics, and also as a pure confidence boost," said Ljungskog after the race.

Copying and pasting my own post since most of you seem not to have seen it. A woman HAS entered a man's race. I think the UCI won't allow a woman to enter a race designated as UCI Pro event, but since the "open" designation allows amateurs as well as pros, they decided she could enter it. She was the women's world road champion and got 57th in a race graded 1.5 (easiest).

Hypothetically, a woman could take out a men's pro license and get hired by a men's pro trade team and be entered in a Pro Tour race - and that would be a wonderful thing to see, but pro distances and tactics have evolved into things that men will always be better at. Mountain time trials may well be an exception, but there aren't many of those around.

Cyclist14 said:
Guy speaking
Hi, Im 14 and I ran cross-country for three years ( MVP two years:D )

I started cycling 6 months ago and I have put in 1500 Miles, I do about 200 a week and during the summer I am going to race on a team.

I have a Nishiki Century (road bike) and a Mountainsmith Cairn (mountain bike).

Like you I can beat some of the other guys and unlike you hills are my strong point, I can plod up a 3/4 mile hill at an average speed of about 18 MPH I always breakaway from the group on hills.

So what kind of bike do you have and where do you live?

SEE YOU IN THE TOUR DE FRANCE!!!:D
whats the % on the hill ur talking about? just curious

The hill that I was talking about is about 8-12% for the first part and then it levels off to about 5% and then it goes back to 8% for the rest of the way and then slowly levels off to normal.
My average speed up the hill is actually about 15.5-16 MPH

Its fun to go back down the hill because the speed limit is 35 MPH and I was doing about 36 MPH.:cool: