Giro 2009 : Stage 21 : Sunday 31st : Roma (ITT) : 14.4kms

limerickman

Jan 5, 2004
Stage 21 : ITT : Roma.

This will be a spectacular event : Aventini district of Roma is my favourite place that I have ever visited.
Can't miss this stage.

Short TT, time gaps won't be huge at all. The onyl shift I see taking place in the top 10 is Rogers overtaking Garzelli. Bruseghin might go up a place. Apart from that it's really about the stage win. Wiggins has stuck in the race for this stage so I'm going to pick him for the stage win.

Wiggins, Pinotti or Zabriskie.

It's supposed to be raining tomorrow so these riders might have the good conditions. But yes, Wiggins should be the favourite.

who ordered this tension filled finish?

hats off & three cheers, denis! beautifully raced! and cheers for ddl, a worthy effort and never daunted.

this salvages rabo's desultory spring campaign.

dramatic finish.
How fast was the mechanic in getting Menchov's spare bike, he'd barely slide to a halt before they were out of the car and delivery a new bike.
Got Menchov going in seconds.

The weather really added to what would have been a TT that would have essentially been a parade.

Konovalovas was one of the luckier early starters who got the best of the weather comes up with a win.
You'd have to say an unexpected win (a slight understatement :p )

Congratulations to Menchov on a great win. Rode a very well thought out race.

Grater said:
Who the **** is this Konovolovas guy?
Lithuanian TT champ apparently. Looks like Wiggins was robbed on this one, had rain on the second half of the course, a car to slow him down and he still only finished 1 second behind. He must be so ****** right now!

No changes in the top 10, so nearly some drama but in the end a good overall victory by Menchov.

watched the ITT highlights tonight - what a stage!
Superb work by the Rabo mechanic to get DM back up on the bikes asap.

Thoroughly enjoyed todays stage : what a race and what a location.

Just looking at DiLuca, menchov at the end of todays stage.
Good closeup footage of both riders - they look emaciated!
they say the TV camera adds 10lbs - if that's the case these guys look seriously undernourished.

Trev_S said:
dramatic finish.
How fast was the mechanic in getting Menchov's spare bike, he'd barely slide to a halt before they were out of the car and delivery a new bike.
Got Menchov going in seconds.

The weather really added to what would have been a TT that would have essentially been a parade.

Konovalovas was one of the luckier early starters who got the best of the weather comes up with a win.
You'd have to say an unexpected win (a slight understatement :p )

Congratulations to Menchov on a great win. Rode a very well thought out race.
Quite true what you say. Menchov might well have won the stage if not for the slip. A great giro for spectacle. Menchov the strongest and steadiest. DiLuca was great except for that pitiful early time trial. Armstrong was impressive in coming back from injury and honored the course. Popovich if not riding in support might have been a contendor for the gc I thought. Pellizotti and especially Garzelli lacked some power in the first week, but then rode fabulously.
Garzelli who was excluded from the giro last year by Zomegnan, and not selected for the world championships, subsequently, sent a clear message. Sastre and Basso also rode very well.

Sastre for me looks like he's coming to the boil nicely. Very impressive in the last week of the Giro.

Well done to Menchov - that poker face of his serves him very well.

DiLuca? Rode a great race and attacked at every opportunity - I like that way of riding.
I hope he goes to the TDF abd puts in a similar performance.

This years Giro for me, was a great spectacle.
The RCS have managed to get the Giro right for the past few years.
Best GT in my view.

I think RCS should, in future, allow the Giro to finish in Roma.

What a wonderful backdrop for a GT.