Giro 2009 : Stage 9 : Sunday May 17 : Milano Show 100 165kms

This stage is both boring and dangerous. If it rains chaos will ensue, water mixed with oil on the streets, everyone will go down at least once. Criteriums are always shorter than this for a good reason, the longer they go on the more people crash. Anyway, sprint finish pretty much guarenteed, Cavendish to give Columbia their third win in a row. Just hope not too many people get injured badly enough to drop out.

Eldrack said:
This stage is both boring and dangerous. If it rains chaos will ensue, water mixed with oil on the streets, everyone will go down at least once. Criteriums are always shorter than this for a good reason, the longer they go on the more people crash. Anyway, sprint finish pretty much guarenteed, Cavendish to give Columbia their third win in a row. Just hope not too many people get injured badly enough to drop out.
Cancellara or Cavendish

I'd like to see how EBH does in a bunch sprint against guys like Ale Jet. That would require the hobbit to be dropped somehow, so not very likely.

I have a feeling Cancellara or Millar might do a chrono off the front today. The corners here are very tight. Going to be hard for a team to control any attacks.

It's a strnage stage - 165 circuit.

Obviously being the centenary Giro, the org. want to pay homage to Milan but as a stage, I agree with the others this could be a (physically) dangerous stage.

Looks like noone wants to take a risk. They are taking it easy early on.

Grater said:
Looks like noone wants to take a risk. They are taking it easy early on.
You were spot on with that one.

ETA: the stage is neutralized. Does that mean only wrt. time gaps, or also wrt the point competition?

They're riding it at 20mph as a go slow protest or something? I suspect they'll still contest the sprint but other than that, nothing interesting to see today.

RAI are saying that the stage has been neutralised because the course isn't safe due to cars parked on the circuit.

Crazy.

limerickman said:
madness - there are cars parked on the kerbside of the route.
Reminds me of Amstel Gold. Are they going to have the same problem with the final TT in Rome? Not such an issue as it's one person at a time but still annoying to have your corners sharpened by badly parked cars.

Eldrack said:
Reminds me of Amstel Gold. Are they going to have the same problem with the final TT in Rome? Not such an issue as it's one person at a time but still annoying to have your corners sharpened by badly parked cars.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx