Giro Atmos vs Bell Sweep R

gawnfishin

May 9, 2005
I am trying top decide between a Giro Atmos or Bell Sweep R. They both fit well and are comfortable. Which one would be the cooler of the two during the summer. Any feedback would be appreciated. It gets awful hot and beaucoup humid down here in the New Orleans area.

-gawnfishin

The Atmos has 26 vents compared to 20 in the Sweep. That's a 30% advantage. I have ridden under both in the Texas heat and humidity and I can definitely tell the difference. They both weigh about the same. I personally like the Giro fit system better than Bell's but that's just me. I might have gone with something else altogether though had I not hit a great close out sale on the Atmos. The '06 version is definitely pricey.

I went the other way; had a Pneumo, but when I upgraded I went with the Bell. I like the fit better (for my head). If you buy the Atmos, you definitely pay the "Lance tax."

Also, I'm not of the opinion that more vents always means a cooler helment; I think the way the vents channel the airflow is the most important factor. My Sweep R worked just fine during a long, hot humid Hoosier summer last year. Probably not as bad as your conditions, but I never had sweat pouring into my glasses like I did with the Pneumo.

Dave

I own an Atmos and love it. I got mine on Ebay for about $150-160. It's incredible. I think the fit system is great and my head is very cool. Go to Ebay and check out how prices compare between Bell and Giro. Yes, you do pay the "Lance tax" but I think it's the best helmet available now. If you have a few bucks around I'd go with the Atmos but if you're a little low on money go with the Bell Sweep R.

gawnfishin said:
I am trying top decide between a Giro Atmos or Bell Sweep R. They both fit well and are comfortable. Which one would be the cooler of the two during the summer. Any feedback would be appreciated. It gets awful hot and beaucoup humid down here in the New Orleans area.

-gawnfishin

The one with the most vents. See how easy that was.

The sweat pouring down is a definate problem. I carry a rag in my jersey to keep my glasses clean. If the Lance tax gets me a better helmet than I don't mind paying it. The Sweep R is $119.00 at the LBS, but not too many Atmos' available except through ebay where they are about $130-$140 for the '05's. My LBS told me the lack of Giro helmets in the LBS' was do to Giro's outragous buying policy they imposed on the dealers.
If I am going to spend a c-note or so I just as soon spend 20-30 more and get what would work best for me if in fact it is better. Sure wish I could try one on though.
Thanks all for the advice.

Tired of "Hurricane Army Corps of Engineers",
-gawnfishin

rudycyclist said:
I own an Atmos and love it. I got mine on Ebay for about $150-160. It's incredible. I think the fit system is great and my head is very cool. Go to Ebay and check out how prices compare between Bell and Giro. Yes, you do pay the "Lance tax" but I think it's the best helmet available now. If you have a few bucks around I'd go with the Atmos but if you're a little low on money go with the Bell Sweep R.