Giro di Lombardia

cyclingheroes

Sep 9, 2005
On Saturday the final pro-tour race (of this season?) will take place: the Tour of Lombardy (Giro di Lombardia).

Boogerd won't start, he retired after last fridays training crash. He would have been my pick although I know he probebly wouldn't have won, but one of my favourite riders (and above all: one of the nicest guys in the peloton) says goodbye... so he would have been my pick.

My pick now? Damiano Cunego

cyclingheroes said:
On Saturday the final pro-tour race (of this season?) will take place: the Tour of Lombardy (Giro di Lombardia).

Boogerd won't start, he retired after last fridays training crash. He would have been my pick although I know he probebly wouldn't have won, but one of my favourite riders (and above all: one of the nicest guys in the peloton) says goodbye... so he would have been my pick.

My pick now? Damiano Cunego
I am hoping for Simoni; that would be sweet. But I'll pick a motivated Evans to finally win something this year.

bettini will win it again
icon14.gif

Bro Deal said:
I am hoping for Simoni; that would be sweet. But I'll pick a motivated Evans to finally win something this year.
Gibo? I don't think so. But I do like the idea...

head says bettini.

but if he races, I think Rebellin could be a serious challenger.

Valverde is on the start list. Can't remember what the UCI are trying to pin on him at the moment so will he actually be starting?

If he is then i'll go for him for the win, and the pro tour series.

Eldrack said:
Valverde is on the start list. Can't remember what the UCI are trying to pin on him at the moment so will he actually be starting?

Paolo
Franck
Damiano

Eldrack said:

Valverde DNS. Piti, but he has a virus or something.

lucybears said:
Valverde DNS. Piti, but he has a virus or something.

El ciclista Alejandro Valverde (Caisse d'Epargne) será baja para la prueba ciclista del Giro de Lombardía que se disputará el sábado entre las localidades italianas de Varese y Como, según un comunicado hecho público hoy por su equipo.

Valverde sufre un "síndrome gripal", motivo que le impide rendir al máximo nivel y por el cual tanto el equipo como el corredor han decidido no disputar la prueba italiana.

"flu-like symptoms"
It also says the whole team has decided not to race... (ProTour or not!)

DiabloScott said:
El ciclista Alejandro Valverde (Caisse d'Epargne) será baja para la prueba ciclista del Giro de Lombardía que se disputará el sábado entre las localidades italianas de Varese y Como, según un comunicado hecho público hoy por su equipo.

Valverde sufre un "síndrome gripal", motivo que le impide rendir al máximo nivel y por el cual tanto el equipo como el corredor han decidido no disputar la prueba italiana.

"flu-like symptoms"
its interesting how pro cyclists frequently come down with "flu-like symptoms" and other ailments, moreso than any other professional sport. You'd think being in physical shape would ward off illness, unless... well, its obvious that these are side effects to some kind of concoction.

Klodifan said:
its interesting how pro cyclists frequently come down with "flu-like symptoms" and other ailments, moreso than any other professional sport. You'd think being in physical shape would ward off illness, unless... well, its obvious that these are side effects to some kind of concoction.
Unlike the more well known and equally virulent "bird flu", they may have the rare "cow flu", which if it is the case - is best for them to heed the warnings and sit out the race.

Common side-effects are false positives on in-competition dope tests and "mad cow" symptoms such as blathering fictitious excuses for the false positive test result before consulting legal advice.

Klodifan said:
Do you know anything about cycling at all?

Pro riders (or even some high level amateur riders) race and train so hard that their health is constantly on a knife edge, making the body feel run down or trying to recover from the toll the sport takes on them. Because of this toll they are suceptable to picking up any stomach bugs, colds, flus or sniffles going around.

classic1 said:
Do you know anything about cycling at all?

Pro riders (or even some high level amateur riders) race and train so hard that their health is constantly on a knife edge, making the body feel run down or trying to recover from the toll the sport takes on them. Because of this toll they are suceptable to picking up any stomach bugs, colds, flus or sniffles going around.
very true the lengths pros and top am. riders go to avioid sickness is crazy but neccessary.....but more to my point can we have one thread without any more speculation of doping or not, sure we all know its there and its already ruined the last 2 TDF's, a couple of vueltas and a giro not to mention countless other races does it have to ruin every single thread to?

cyclingheroes said:
Any thoughts about how Thomas Dekker might do today? He seems to be in great form....
Ceccho must still be coaching him via email :D

DiabloScott said:
lost in translation
140 km
239571.png
</IMG>Matteo Tosatto (Quickstep), Morris Possoni (Lampre), Bernhard Kohl (Gerolsteiner), Alan Perez (Euskaltel), Pablo Lastras, Alberto Losada (Caisse d'Epargne) et Jesus Del Nero (Saunier Duval) comptent 10'50'' d'avance sur le peloton.