Giro D'Italia 2008 : Stage 20 - May 31st : Rovetta => Tirano, 224 km

There are a few breakaway groups, and one group that is ahead of maglia rosa by 1 min has Colom in it. What is the logic behind sending Colom in a breakaway group? Do they have other riders to pull Contador?

TheDarkLord said:
cyclingnews reports that Kloden has abandoned the race! Wonder why
Edit: Micron beat me to it.
C’mon, use your dark imagination for lords sake. He just learned the secret - Astana will ride the Tour and hes saving himself.
biggrin.gif

TheDarkLord said:
There are a few breakaway groups, and one group that is ahead of maglia rosa by 1 min has Colom in it. What is the logic behind sending Colom in a breakaway group? Do they have other riders to pull Contador?

Theoretically, a stepping stone for Contador if he gets on the wheel of an attack that bridges up to Colom.

CSF get their reward for helping out Astana yesterday, then - Cima Coppi to Perez Cuapio

INCE said:
C’mon, use your dark imagination for lords sake. He just learned the secret - Astana will ride the Tour and hes saving himself.
biggrin.gif

Reports on the German EuroSport forum suggest a positive test !!!!!!!!

Not sure how true it is now....

He's probably ill. This could spell disaster for Astana unless Leipheimer can step up to the plate, but given how he's been riding that is unlikely. They have Colom ahead to help Contador, that's a good move perhaps, but then he's the best climber left in the team so Contador will end up isolated on the Mortirolo.

Time for the other teams to attack attack and attack again if they want to win this Giro!

Eldrack said:
He's probably ill. This could spell disaster for Astana unless Leipheimer can step up to the plate, but given how he's been riding that is unlikely. They have Colom ahead to help Contador, that's a good move perhaps, but then he's the best climber left in the team so Contador will end up isolated on the Mortirolo.

Time for the other teams to attack attack and attack again if they want to win this Giro!

I reckon Colom is going for the stage and bugger Bertie - Astana need something from their pitiful showing

micron said:
I reckon Colom is going for the stage and bugger Bertie - Astana need something from their pitiful showing
Possible. The time difference now is almost 4.5 mins.

According to cyclingnews, Kloden dropped out as he is sick with respiratory illness and fever all night. Don't know if this is just a smokescreen or whether he is really sick.

whiteboytrash said:

I both hope it is and is not true...just torn on that one.

Colom has to be a stepping stone in this scenario. If yesterday is any indication, so are the two CSF riders. Those CSF riders are amazing don't you think. Almost unbelievable really.

It does seem suspiciously like CSF are helping Astana again, they're letting Colom just sit in that break without doing any work... Maybe now we know who provided the CSF guys with their gear?

whiteboytrash said:

Maybe their internal testing found an abnormal value and wanted to play it safe? Get him out before the "vampires" get him :)
On the other hand I do find the illness thing more believable since someone can quite easily verify this (I think).

The peloton is starting the climb of Mortirolo. Let us hope that something interesting happens during the climb.

I find it very strange that Kloden would pull out today. At least they should have kept him in the race today and then not have him race the TT tomorrow.

He looked fine yesterday, relatively speaking.

I think the internal testing pointed to a troublesome result.

Leipheimer is sliding backwards, Contador is alone. Yet some how LPR still has two people on the front, those guys and CSF make me suspicious.

Simoni attacks, Ricco follows but Contador is still there. Nice to see the fireworks are coming at the bottom of the climb!

Ricco looks very smooth. Impressive. Contador is countering well so far.

Di Luca is getting dropped.