Giro D'Italia 2008 : Stage 20 - May 31st : Rovetta => Tirano, 224 km

TheDarkLord said:
But if Ricco is not able to drop Contador in Mortirolo, his chances of snatching the pink jersey are slim.
Yes. I think that the Giro is over unless something notable happens, but Contador appears to be responding well, and he has Colom ahead.

Klodifan said:
Actually, Kloden has been fighting illness throughout the race. He has been complaining about not feeling well for some time now. I specifically remember him saying how it had affected the ITTs, so pulling out today fits in with that storyline.
Baloney. On the last mountain stage, after he helped save the maglia rosa's rear end, you let him go home? Mah, I do not believe it.

Powerful Pete said:
Yes. I think that the Giro is over unless something notable happens, but Contador appears to be responding well, and he has Colom ahead.

Baloney. On the last mountain stage, after he helped save the maglia rosa's rear end, you let him go home? Mah, I do not believe it.
Agree with both. Something fishy about Kloden not starting.

And Contador will take it. Another show of Bruyneel's brilliance. meh. (just preparing what the Asstana cultists will be saying)

Well, Mortirolo is over, and everyone is descending. Contador, Menchov, Ricco are all there.

earth_dweller said:
Agree with both. Something fishy about Kloden not starting.

And Contador will take. Another show of Bruyneel's brilliance. meh.
It will be the most pathetic victory though. How often has Contador attacked? Did he even win a single stage? Evans must be feeling jealous about the competition to his style of riding.

Di Luca has now lost almost 80 seconds. He is trying to catch up, but it may be quite difficult.

TheDarkLord said:
It will be the most pathetic victory though. How often has Contador attacked? Did he even win a single stage? Evans must be feeling jealous about the competition to his style of riding.
Well, he was on vacation at the beach and not training at all since the end of the tour last year, you know. :rolleyes:

TheDarkLord said:
no, no let me prepare you for the spin. Contador rode brilliantly, conserving his energy, with Bruyneel's shadow looming over... oh never mind.

Bruseghin and VDB are back with the maglia rosa group. Man these boys can descend...

Pellizotti is also back...

TheDarkLord said:
But if Ricco is not able to drop Contador in Mortirolo, his chances of snatching the pink jersey are slim.

I disagree although Contador looks better today.

The Mortirolo was just too steep for a meaningful attack... you just can't get enough speed up to get away... Gibo tried & failed... they were basically just getting the pedals over....

Good to see CSF help Colum in the break all day to get him up the road....

earth_dweller said:
no, no let me prepare you for the spin. Contador rode brilliantly, conserving his energy, with Bruyneel's shadow looming over... oh never mind.
Well, that is what musette and bambi will come and say. We better get prepared for an appropriate counterattack. :p

Powerful Pete said:
Bruseghin and VDB are back with the maglia rosa group. Man these boys can descend...

Pellizotti is also back...
The motorbikes were having trouble keeping up with those dudes!

TheDarkLord said:
What is Pellizotti trying to do? Brake with his feet? :eek:
Stretching... some cramps...

Maglia Rosa group is catching Colom.

Di Luca has caught Karpets and they are working well together to try to catch the maglia rosa group...

Karpets pulling Di Luca, but still he is 1 min behind. And Sella attacks and looks like he is getting away this time.

TheDarkLord said:
Karpets pulling Di Luca, but still he is 1 min behind. And Sella attacks and looks like he is getting away this time.
Let us see if Ricco' goes after him...:cool:

Bruseghin pulling the maglia rosa group to put time into Di Luca and take a podium spot in this Giro.

Powerful Pete said:
speaking of, how is Ricco regarded in Italian media? Is he well-liked? And how are they going to write about his chasing Simoni down. A few times.

Powerful Pete said:

Bruseghin pulling the maglia rosa group to put time into Di Luca and take a podium spot in this Giro.
Doesn't look like it so far.

earth_dweller said:
speaking of, how is Ricco regarded in Italian media? Is he well-liked? And how are they going to write about his chasing Simoni down. A few times.
Ricco' is currently Da Man here. He is good for selling newspapers, and the Gazzetta website focused much more on him than on Di Luca yesterday, just as an example...

No problem re: Simoni, everyone knows it is his last year... and he clearly did not have the legs this year for a 'glorious' victory at his last Giro.