Giro D'Italia 2008 : Stage 6 - Thursday, May 15: Potenza - Peschici (Circuito del Gar

This stage was set to be the longest one. It has now been shortened by 30-odd kilometres as the riders are tired after all the transfers. The finishing circuit has been cut out.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2008//giro08/?id=stages/giro086

A different finish to stage 5 in that the climb to the finish is shorter. However, it will still be too much for the sprinters IMO and the climb beforehand may see a few disappear out the back and not be able to rejoin anyway. Pellizotti has won here before in the Giro although that came from a large breakaway rather than facing a bunch sprint. Like yesterday i think that Liquigas may be content to let a break finish ahead of the main group as long as they arent too close on GC. It will be up to some of the other teams to put in extra effort to pull the break back. All the teams will want to be in good shape for stage 7 so the break may stay away again. If it does then the constituents of the break are likely to be similar people to those of stage 5. I'll go for Rebellin to win the bunch sprint and take the stage as i am too chicken to pluck a random name out in the hope that they will be in the break.

Pellizotti wants to grab a stage win - he almost was lucky last night by the peloton catching the breakaway and he won here last year, so he will want to do it again. After reading what he said before yesterdays stage, I can see him wanting to try and win this stage - then finish with the main bunch tomorrow and then rest on Saturday. Perfect for him to do it. If I was in his position, I would try and win today.

Nocentini or Voigt for a break. Maybe Millar again to try his luck.

Grater said:
Pellizotti wants to grab a stage win - he almost was lucky last night by the peloton catching the breakaway and he won here last year, so he will want to do it again. After reading what he said before yesterdays stage, I can see him wanting to try and win this stage - then finish with the main bunch tomorrow and then rest on Saturday. Perfect for him to do it. If I was in his position, I would try and win today.

Nocentini or Voigt for a break. Maybe Millar again to try his luck.
Millar said yesterday he wouldn't try again today. I'm going for Bettini. And if doesn't win I'll fling my bike into a field!

Rolfrae said:
Millar said yesterday he wouldn't try again today.
I imagine he will be trying to conserve himself for Tuesday's time-trial now. I dont think he will win that but will hopefully be able to get a good place

Rolfrae said:
I'm going for Bettini. And if doesn't win I'll fling my bike into a field!
:D:D:D

Rolfrae said:
Millar said yesterday he wouldn't try again today. I'm going for Bettini. And if doesn't win I'll fling my bike into a field!

Perhaps if he threw his bike from about 500m to go his bike could cross the line first.... I think you have to be with your bike thou...

whiteboytrash said:
Perhaps if he threw his bike from about 500m to go his bike could cross the line first.... I think you have to be with your bike thou...
Always with the rules and regulations eh? Why can't a rider just throw his bike across the line from 500metres out? Bloody UCI! :D

Group of 11 clear by 15:05 with 60k left. Pink jersey must be in trouble here? I did tip Iglinsky for an uphill finish on stage 2 as he seemed to do well at uphill sprints in the Tour de Romandie. I think he will be the favourite if it comes to a bunch sprint but i imagine someone will try and break away before that

Okay, looks like Liquigas are trying to get rid of pink before tomorrows mountain stage. Guess that makes sense, they don't want to be forced into controlling things tomorrow, so someone in the break will get the stage win, and one of them will get pink. I'll tip Visconti for the stage win now.

Visconti is 1:52 down on GC, Russ is 1:39 down, so one of them to get pink I think.

Good call Eldrack. Visconti gets to celebrate a day in pink after winning from the break.

Good call. I like Visconti - he is a good rider (not great) but rides hard and is doing well trying to show his Italian jersey out front. And for an Italian, what can be better than covering your tricolor jersey than with the maglia rosa?

Powerful Pete said:
Good call. I like Visconti - he is a good rider (not great) but rides hard and is doing well trying to show his Italian jersey out front. And for an Italian, what can be better than covering your tricolor jersey than with the maglia rosa?

Agreed. loves Italy and lives in Tuscany. I'm surprised they gave him so much time. He's not a bad rider.....

I was delighted to see a rider from a pro-continental team win stage 6.
I thought that Matteo Priamo rode very bravely and deserved his win (I thought Perez would have been stronger in the final Km).

Must be great for a non-protour rider to win a GT stage.
His seasons made up for him!