Giro d'Italia: Monument for Pantani

cyclingheroes

Sep 9, 2005
On May 27 the day that the Giro d'italia will ride over the Mortirolo the ACCPI will unveil a monument for Marco Pantani. They have choosen for the idea of Felice Gimondi, Claudio Chiappucci and Gianni Bugno. Their idea was to show a statue of Pantani looking back to his opponents during an attack. Bianchi will finance the statue.

cyclingheroes said:
On May 27 the day that the Giro d'italia will ride over the Mortirolo the ACCPI will unveil a monument for Marco Pantani. They have choosen for the idea of Felice Gimondi, Claudio Chiappucci and Gianni Bugno. Their idea was to show a statue of Pantani looking back to his opponents during an attack. Bianchi will finance the statue.
Mortirolo, I have seen only in pictures, it looks like beautiful countryside. Marco was a great rider.

I can't wait to see the finshed monument.

Lw

lwedge said:
Mortirolo, I have seen only in pictures, it looks like beautiful countryside. Marco was a great rider.

I can't wait to see the finshed monument.

Lw
I will be there on May th 27th, i can post a few pictures on the forum.

Indeed a fitting tribute to Marco Pantani - it was in this territory that he had major battles with Ivan Gotti, Pavel Tonkov.

It's a nice tribute and great to see Bianchi lending their weight and prestige to
the monument.

cyclingheroes said:
Thanks heroes,
I understand the pose was selected from eight ideas. The one selected was felt to be one of his particular characteristics in action. Pantani with the hands low, looking back to evaluate the response of the opposition after an attack.

ilpirata said:
Thanks heroes,
I understand the pose was selected from eight ideas. The one selected was felt to be one of his particular characteristics in action. Pantani with the hands low, looking back to evaluate the response of the opposition after an attack.
Yes your right, my English wasn`t good enough anymore... I was the whole day at the presentation of the Pro continental Wiesenhof-Akud team and was really tired when i wrote this thread. But i did want to know the people on the forum anyway. Just couldn`t find the words in English....

ilpirata said:
Thanks heroes,

So, Pantani statue giving the famous Lance look from Alpe d'Huez 2001?
Well, I suppose best not to speak ill of the dead and all that but other poses could be imagined.
Its hard to know what to make of Pantani, but he was an Italian cycling hero so its up to them to pay tribute in the way they see fit.

ilpirata said:
Thanks heroes,

Well, I suppose best not to speak ill of the dead and all that but other poses could be imagined.
Its hard to know what to make of Pantani, but he was an Italian cycling hero so its up to them to pay tribute in the way they see fit.

hombredesubaru said:

Perhaps the unforgettable pose and look on his face when he beat Lance at the line on Ventoux?

(oh ****, I'm in trouble now)

hombredesubaru said:

Perhaps the unforgettable pose and look on his face when he beat Lance at the line on Ventoux?

(oh ****, I'm in trouble now)

cyclingheroes said:

Fitting that the monument will be at the Motirolo too.

I saw the Motirolo live for the first time on Eurosport some years back and it is certainly climbers territory.

cyclingheroes said:

I saw the Motirolo live for the first time on Eurosport some years back and it is certainly climbers territory.

limerickman said:

you only need to google image mortirolo to see that :D

limerickman said:

you only need to google image mortirolo to see that :D

Hopefully it will be massive enough not to get stolen like the other one near Cesenatico.