Giro D'Italia : Stage 13 - May 23, 2008: Modena > Cittadella, 192 km:

Pancake flat sprinters stage. McEwen to finally do it I think as the bends in the last 6k could quite easily disrupt everyone elses lead out trains.

Don't know if McEwen has it in him in this Giro, although this is the last chance before he pulls out, if I am not mistaken.

It is a toss up between Bennati and Cavendish. I will go with the former as a fellow Italian, but I believe that either one could win...

Comparing the 43 Km stage 20 of the 2007 Giro and the 39 Km stage 10 of the 2008 Giro.

Di Luca - 1.44 2:11
Simoni - 2:44 1:02
Ricco - 3:38 2:04
Piepoli - 6:29 2:43

2008 was slightly more hilly. But that didn't help Di Luca. The competition at the top was stronger in 2008, which should have put most of these people further back. Simoni's age should be slowing him down now. He will be 37 in August.

Simoni, Ricco, and Piepoli clearly used the off day to load up with the blood bags. Only Di Luca's time is about what you would expect. Piepoli's is just plain off the scale. Without the fall Ricco's time would have been even better. And old man Simoni has never been this close on an ITT.

tambourlain said:
Comparing the 43 Km stage 20 of the 2007 Giro and the 39 Km stage 10 of the 2008 Giro.

Di Luca - 1.44 2:11
Simoni - 2:44 1:02
Ricco - 3:38 2:04
Piepoli - 6:29 2:43

2008 was slightly more hilly. But that didn't help Di Luca. The competition at the top was stronger in 2008, which should have put most of these people further back. Simoni's age should be slowing him down now. He will be 37 in August.

Simoni, Ricco, and Piepoli clearly used the off day to load up with the blood bags. Only Di Luca's time is about what you would expect. Piepoli's is just plain off the scale. Without the fall Ricco's time would have been even better. And old man Simoni has never been this close on an ITT.
I don't think you can really make a comparison between the 2TT's. Stage 10 was a lot more hilly than stage 20 last year, the climbers where only loosing time in the first 18k (false flat), and then the rest was either uphill or downhill. Di Luca had a bad day, if anything I would have expected him to be faster, Simoni had a great day. He's a good climber and a good descender. Piepoli and Ricco, I don't see anything out of line in their improvement.

The finish should be pretty interesting today. It's the last really flat stage that the sprinters will take. Well, there is a flat one in the middle of the mountain stages but a breakaway normally takes that sort of stage. Bennati, Cav and McEwen all fighting for the win will be good to watch.

McEwen has been very unlucky with his positioning. That last bend nailed him last night. I'd say he has enough anger bottled up to win tonight no matter what. Could be nasty.

Heh, would be funny if he goes for the headbutting approach like he did in the tour de france a couple of years ago.

JAPANic said:
McEwen has been very unlucky with his positioning. That last bend nailed him last night. I'd say he has enough anger bottled up to win tonight no matter what. Could be nasty.
Not the kind of mistake he makes when he is top of his game...

Powerful Pete said:
Not the kind of mistake he makes when he is top of his game...

The Cav....! ridiculous finishing circuit....... they changed the rules for today saying that there would be no time gaps in the last 3km even if you come in 7 hours late........

I think they made the right decision there, the circuit was very dangerous.

Great speed by Cavendish, easily the fastest guy in the sprint, and High Road did an excellent job getting him up there. I'm starting to think that McEwens days at the top are numbered....

whiteboytrash said:
they changed the rules for today saying that there would be no time gaps in the last 3km even if you come in 7 hours late........
Too bad for Levi and Alberto (plus Ricco, Piepoli and others) that they came in 13 sec late to the 3 km mark and therefore lost those seconds...

confusedfan said:
Too bad for Levi and Alberto (plus Ricco, Piepoli and others) that they came in 13 sec late to the 3 km mark and therefore lost those seconds...
Does it really matter though given the mountain stages coming up? Anyone from the GC gained 13 sec?

TheDarkLord said:
Does it really matter though given the mountain stages coming up? Anyone from the GC gained 13 sec?
DiLuca, Simoni, Kloeden were ahead of the gap so they didn't lose the 13 seconds...

confusedfan said:
DiLuca, Simoni, Kloeden were ahead of the gap so they didn't lose the 13 seconds...
Ok, that may be significant. I didn't watch the race today or catch up on the results. Let's see how the next three stages go.

TheDarkLord said:
Ok, that may be significant. I didn't watch the race today or catch up on the results. Let's see how the next three stages go.
Cavendish is so beyond any other sprinter these days. The guy is rediculously fast! Awesome finish.

azdroptop said:
Cavendish is so beyond any other sprinter these days. The guy is rediculously fast! Awesome finish.
I think he is like Freire.

He can jump, but he has strength in the sprint.

Mcewen could only ever go to about 180 in the wind. I think Cav when he hits his peak will be able to go up to 250 in the wind and still hold them off.

I don't think he is as explosive as Mcewen at his peak, but he has much more speed length. He also might develop into just as explosive as Mcewen at his peak.

I think an advantage of his, actually, the reason of his speed strength, is his sprinting position. He is SO LOW, he is so aerodynamic. The wind would barely brush his sprinting position. Plus he is SO fast, easily the fastest in the bunch, that if anyone comes out of his wheel, they have to be fast enough to pass him in the wind. When you hit the wind at 70kmph, it is like a brick wall, and their speed dissipates