Giro D'Italia : Stage 14 - May 24, 2008: Verona > Alpe di Pampeago, 195 km:

Eldrack said:
Interesting point: Sella only actually lost around 1:30 on that final climb. Given he'd been in the break all day and been solo from half way up the Manghen that's pretty damn impressive. It's quite possible he'll suffer heavily in tomorrows stage because of his efforts today but possibly a top 10 placing for him?

I don't think the Astana boys will pull out. If they do badly they can just pretend it was because they weren't prepared, but they have the chance of winning a stage or two here so they should stick around. Anyway, it's funny watching them get dropped :p .

Edit: Jurgen Van den Broeck? 3 years as an average domestique for dope central team discovery/usps, and now he's on silence lotto he's up there with the big boys in the mountains?

It is very interesting to see how much the pace has dropped on that climb since Pantani won in 99. I don't think i have seen so many GC riders looking quite so domestique like on the first proper mountain stage. Blood manipulation has to be less no doubt IMO.

thoughtforfood said:
I'll bet The Hog had a chance to look into his eyes today...could the chicken be wearing Astana blue soon?

I think the Hog has got kid contador doing the eye work today.... Contador might tell McQuiad that the chicken is clean just like him....

btw. loved Ricco's comment last night calling Contador "Beach Boy"..... love it.... I'm not sure the Hog & co. know how to handle Ricco...... he backs up the talk with his legs.......

whiteboytrash said:
I think the Hog has got kid contador doing the eye work today.... Contador might tell McQuiad that the chicken is clean just like him....

btw. loved Ricco's comment last night calling Contador "Beach Boy"..... love it.... I'm not sure the Hog & co. know how to handle Ricco...... he backs up the talk with his legs.......
Yea, Ricco is my new hero with his comment.

I forgot that Condador is the emissary for the new "clean" generation, wonder if chicken passed the test? He looks "fit" in the picture.

thoughtforfood said:
He looks "fit" in the picture.
You joke?
chiken look as pimp...navy shirt....lether jacket....he look freakickish..."I champ of Tour...you simple riders"........urgh.....
bettiniphoto_0027589_1_full.jpg

and now the asstana fans are coming out and accusing everyone else of doping ha ha ha

gotta love the soap opera around cycling. And I love loose cannon Ricco, you never know what he's going to say.

Sella's power output was roughly 320-330 watts, or 5.8-6.0 watts per kilogram on that last climb (based on him weighing 55, which is the figure I've seen). Seems reasonable to me....

Edit: Menchov will have had to have developed roughly 400 watts based on the time he did it in. That's around 6.15 watts per kilo. Again nothing too drastic there.

Eldrack said:
Sella's power output was roughly 320-330 watts, or 5.8-6.0 watts per kilogram on that last climb (based on him weighing 55, which is the figure I've seen). Seems reasonable to me....

Edit: Menchov will have had to have developed roughly 400 watts based on the time he did it in. That's around 6.15 watts per kilo. Again nothing too drastic there.
You will be hard pressed to find a tougher last 3km than pampeago, relentless straight roads. The 6.5 watts per kilo and higher may be a thing of the past.

To compare with the past, cylismag normalised values:
Menchov : 425 Watt
and Sella : 405 Watt

cyclismag said:
Sur le Tour d'Italie, Denis Menchov a été le plus rapide ce samedi après-midi sur la montée finale vers l'Alpe de Pampeago. Le Russe a mis environ 25 minutes depuis le village de Tesero pour relier l'arrivée, soit une minute de plus que Simoni en 2003.
Menchov a développé environ 425 watts pour une "puissance étalon" de 78 kg avec vélo.
Cette année, nous avons eu une course d'attente entre les favoris alors qu'en 2003, Simoni avait attaqué assez tôt dans la montée dès la sortie de Tesero.
De son côté, le vainqueur de l'étape, Emanuele Sella a réalisé la performance du jour avec 405 watts malgré la fatigue d'une longue échappée solitaire.

italiano said:
You joke?
chiken look as pimp...navy shirt....lether jacket....he look freakickish..."I champ of Tour...you simple riders"........urgh.....
bettiniphoto_0027589_1_full.jpg
Yes, I was joking. The picture you posted makes him look aneorexic. He really looks bad in that picture. That is why I put "fit" in quotes.

NJK said:
You will be hard pressed to find a tougher last 3km than pampeago, relentless straight roads. The 6.5 watts per kilo and higher may be a thing of the past.

The last 4kms looked really really tough.
Bettini looked in agony as he crossed the line - so your point is correct.

Great ride by Sella.

Great ride by the Silence-Lotto rider as well - Vandenbrook (excuse the spelling)