Giro D'Italia : Stage 18 - May 29, 2008: Mendrisio > Varese, 182 km:

Another Classics style stage. Too much uphill at the end for the sprinters but not enough for it to be worth the GC riders' teams working their butts off in the hope of gaining a few seconds. Bettini if it comes down to a group finish but maybe this is a good opportunity for the escape to stay away. Maybe Millar to be in that escape. I imagine that he will be targetting either this stage or the final TT from now on.

I reckon an escape will go away and win by a large margin on this one as no one will want to chase it down. So a complete randomer to win, swing in the dark for Geraint Thomas. Because he's a Brit :p .

As for the GC guys, expect Ricco and Di Luca to try and create fireworks on the final climb. It suits their ability to accelerate hard on the climbs, the other GC people could loose a few seconds if they aren't careful.

Bettini might be a very shrewd choice for victory today.

I think Jens Voigt is starting to ride in to some form and today might be his day to win.

Pellizotti would suit todays profile but given his place on GC, he would be watched anyhow.

Interesting point: Cardenas of Barloworld has moved up to 11th place thanks to today's breakaway. He had a reasonably good uphill TT so maybe he's coming into the form that could give him a top 10 placing and rescue Barloworlds Giro?

Eldrack said:
Interesting point: Cardenas of Barloworld has moved up to 11th place thanks to today's breakaway. He had a reasonably good uphill TT so maybe he's coming into the form that could give him a top 10 placing and rescue Barloworlds Giro?
That's why Lotto was pulling hard at the front for quite a while - if he had gained more time, he could have threatened Vandenbroeck in 9th.

it should be between contador and riccò, with Simoni and Bruseghin as longshots. But I will dream of a fourth great performance by Sella that if pulled off, would perhaps be the greatest grand tour comeback in the history of cycling. The question is who will attack with him? DiLuca? Simoni? his teammate Pozzovivo? One thing is for sure, Sella will attack!
earth_dweller said:
that would be sweet. But Bruyneel is in town and you can be sure he came with gifts.

I want to see Simoni pull off the win. :cool: I'd be happy with some good attacks and someone other than Contador coming out on top, otherwise... snooze.

Stage 18 of this years Giro forms a major part of the parcours for the world road race in Sept.
Interesting course.

It looked pretty dangerous in sections - parts of the roads were very narrow and the cornering in sections looked really tight.
The surface when wet (and it was wet in patches yesterday) looked lethal on the bends/roundabouts.