Giro d'Italia

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Taywood, May 9, 2004.

  1. Taywood

    Taywood Guest

    Best race of the season so far, first day of racing was an
    absolute knockout. Mike Smith doing the commentary, he's my
    hero, of course he talked about wine but only as they
    passed through Asti. Vocal support from the very
    knowledgeable Mrs Anderson.

    Who won? Not from me - watch it yourself mate. In fact you
    only need to watch the last 6kms and listen to Mike's
    commentary to get the feeling that this years race will be
    the one we remember. TW

    Tags:

  2. Injuryprone

    Injuryprone Guest

    "taywood" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Best race of the season so far, first day of racing was an
    > absolute knockout.

    What channel? I couldn't find it on Europsport GB?

  3. injuryprone wrote:

    > "taywood" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > berlin.de...
    >
    >>Best race of the season so far, first day of racing was an
    >>absolute knockout.
    >

    > What channel? I couldn't find it on Europsport GB?

    Yeah, Eurosport GB is crap - it's on at 11pm (youth football
    instead FFS) so set your video! It's live tomorrow just when
    everyone is back at work.

  4. Stan Cox

    Stan Cox Guest

    Zog The Undeniable wrote:

    > injuryprone wrote:
    >
    >> "taywood" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    >> berlin.de...
    >>
    >>> Best race of the season so far, first day of racing was
    >>> an absolute knockout.
    >>

    >> What channel? I couldn't find it on Europsport GB?
    >>

    > Yeah, Eurosport GB is crap - it's on at 11pm (youth
    > football instead FFS) so set your video! It's live
    > tomorrow just when everyone is back at work.
    What really annoys me is that Eurosport run Eurosport News
    which is something like a 20 minute loop of the days news
    which noone watches. Why dont they just put the
    international feed on that. As a bonus they could leave the
    French or German commentary on so we didnt have to listen
    to Duffield.

    Stan Cox

  5. Taywood

    Taywood Guest

    "injuryprone" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "taywood" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > berlin.de...
    > > Best race of the season so far, first day of racing was
    > > an absolute knockout.
    >
    > What channel? I couldn't find it on Europsport GB?

    I've got old fashioned analogue sat tv which shows
    International Eurosport. Quite often the times shown vary
    from the British Eurosport timetable.

    I use http://www.digiguide.com/ to show alerts for the
    programmes for the programmes, topics and sports I'm
    interested in. TW

  6. >Who won? Not from me - watch it yourself mate.

    For those of us who don't have digital TV, there's a report
    on www.cyclingnews.com

    Cheers, helen s

    --This is an invalid email address to avoid spam-- to get
    correct one remove fame & fortune

    --Due to financial crisis the light at the end of the tunnel
    is switched off--

  7. Dan Gregory

    Dan Gregory Guest

    "Stan Cox" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > Why dont they just put the international feed on that. As
    > a bonus they could leave the French or German commentary
    > on so we didnt have to listen to Duffield.
    I'm having to watch on German ESP as other language channels
    are encrypted as is RAITre again!! Still I suppose my German
    comprehension will improve. Shame that Svorada blocked Cipo
    even though I think that the result would have been the
    same. Setting up the recorder for tomorrow although I think
    RAISport show edited version in pm. All the best Dan Gregory

    ---
    virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.679 /
    Virus Database: 441 - Release Date: 07/05/04

  8. Pete Whelan

    Pete Whelan Guest

    if you have an old analogue sat box, then it is on at
    sensible times, like LIVE.

    >>Who won? Not from me - watch it yourself mate.
    >

    > For those of us who don't have digital TV, there's a
    > report on www.cyclingnews.com
    >
    > Cheers, helen s
    >

    > --This is an invalid email address to avoid spam-- to get
    > correct one remove fame & fortune
    > h*$el*$$e*nd**$o$ts**i*$*$m*m$o*n*[email protected]$*a$o*l.c**$om$
    >
    > --Due to financial crisis the light at the end of the
    > tunnel is switched off--

  9. On Sun, 09 May 2004 19:01:21 +0100, Stan Cox <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Zog The Undeniable wrote:
    >
    >> injuryprone wrote:
    >>
    >>> "taywood" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    >>> berlin.de...

    >>> What channel? I couldn't find it on Europsport GB?
    >>>

    >> Yeah, Eurosport GB is crap - it's on at 11pm (youth
    >> football instead FFS) so set your video! It's live
    >> tomorrow just when everyone is back at work.
    >What really annoys me is that Eurosport run Eurosport News
    >which is something like a 20 minute loop of the days news
    >which noone watches. Why dont they just put the
    >international feed on that.

    Excellent idea - maybe they need an orchestrated appeal to
    do so - I'm game...

    Regards! Stephen

  10. Roger Hughes

    Roger Hughes Guest

    Pete whelan wrote:
    > if you have an old analogue sat box, then it is on at
    > sensible times, like LIVE.

    On live on British Eurosport on NTL cable, too.

    I have a serious urge to take Mike Smith aside and teach him
    some basic Italian pronunciation rules, though. It's a bit
    painful on the ear.

    RH

  11. Simonb

    Simonb Guest

    Roger Hughes wrote:

    > I have a serious urge to take Mike Smith aside and teach
    > him some basic Italian pronunciation rules, though.

    How's Kipolini doing in the Giro? What about Petaki?

  12. Roger Hughes

    Roger Hughes Guest

    Simonb wrote:
    > Roger Hughes wrote:
    >

    >>I have a serious urge to take Mike Smith aside and teach
    >>him some basic Italian pronunciation rules, though.
    >

    > How's Kipolini doing in the Giro? What about Petaki?

    Oh, he manages Chipperleeny and that, but he's convinced
    that there's a "For Maggie Pins Olo" team.

    I'm assuming - there are signs - that he isn't actually
    doing the commentary from the race, just back in Paris with
    the TV feed, so he's not even picking that sort of stuff up
    from the PA and other journalists either.

    RH

  13. crystal_tears_

    crystal_tears_ New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 29, 2003
    Mike Smith's been a reasonable commentator on the Giro so far but lacks personality and charm. As for David Duffield i think he's great. I know he frequently rambles on about everything but the action, nattering on about what he ate for dinner the other night and what have you but i think he's a very entertaining bloke. He manages to crease me up like no other commentator encouraging me to watch the race which can't be bad. He's a Brummie too like moi ;)

  14. Mark South

    Mark South Guest

    "crystal_tears_" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Mike Smith's been a reasonable commentator on the Giro so
    > far but lacks personality and charm. As for David Duffield
    > i think he's great. I know he frequently rambles on about
    > everything but the action, nattering on about what he ate
    > for dinner the other night and what have you but i think
    > he's a very entertaining bloke. He manages to crease me up
    > like no other commentator encouraging me to watch the race
    > which can't be bad. He's a Brummie too like moi ;)

    Is my memory failing or is the Duffers Debate early
    this year? ISTR we normally let him ruin the Giro
    without comment.

    Don't we normally wait for him to start spoiling the Tour
    before we lay into him?

    Actually, I solve it by watching French Eurosport myself....
    --
    Mark South Citizen of the World, Denizen of the Net <<Tiens!
    Ce poulet a une grenade!

  15. Roger Hughes

    Roger Hughes Guest

    crystal_tears_ wrote:

    > Mike Smith's been a reasonable commentator on the Giro so
    > far but lacks personality and charm. As for David Duffield
    > i think he's great. I know he frequently rambles on about
    > everything but the action, nattering on about what he ate
    > for dinner the other night and what have you but i think
    > he's a very entertaining bloke. He manages to crease me up
    > like no other commentator encouraging me to watch the race
    > which can't be bad. He's a Brummie too like moi ;)

    You can't commentate on bike races in the UK unless you
    come from the West Midlands or the Potteries, it's a well-
    known fact.

    Smith is getting a bit better (has done some pronunciation
    practice) but he lost track who was in which group on the
    summit finish and failed to spot (or at least comment on)
    the maglia ciclamina in the bunch gallop today.

    That said, a 2-3 hour stint commentating solo on a fairly
    uneventful stage is pretty tough to do (well, it's hard
    enough even doing text internet commentaries on days like
    yesterday); Eurosport ought to stump up for someone
    (preferably italophone) to sit next to him. A definite
    Duffieldness was starting to creep in.

    Cheers

    Roger

  16. Roger Hughes

    Roger Hughes Guest

    crystal_tears_ wrote:

    > Mike Smith's been a reasonable commentator on the Giro so
    > far but lacks personality and charm. As for David Duffield
    > i think he's great. I know he frequently rambles on about
    > everything but the action, nattering on about what he ate
    > for dinner the other night and what have you but i think
    > he's a very entertaining bloke. He manages to crease me up
    > like no other commentator encouraging me to watch the race
    > which can't be bad. He's a Brummie too like moi ;)

    You can't commentate on bike races in the UK unless you
    come from the West Midlands or the Potteries, it's a well-
    known fact.

    Smith is getting a bit better (has done some pronunciation
    practice) but he lost track who was in which group on the
    summit finish and failed to spot (or at least comment on)
    the maglia ciclamina in the bunch gallop today.

    That said, a 2-3 hour stint commentating solo on a fairly
    uneventful stage is pretty tough to do (well, it's hard
    enough even doing text internet commentaries on days like
    yesterday); Eurosport ought to stump up for someone
    (preferably italophone) to sit next to him. A definite
    Duffieldness was starting to creep in.

    Cheers

    Roger

  17. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    Roger Hughes <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > That said, a 2-3 hour stint commentating solo on a fairly
    > uneventful stage is pretty tough to do ...

    Cycling does seem to lack a John Arlott. My father and I
    once set spellbound for over an hour in front of the idiot
    box when the cricket was rained off and the BBC simply
    brought a camera inside the long room while JA discoursed on
    the photographs adorning the walls. He had the ability to
    paint the most vivid word pictures in a voice you would pay
    to listen to if he were reading the telephone directory.

    "The ball runs down to the boundary, bounces over the rope
    and is fielded by a gentleman in shirtsleeves. He measures
    the distance to Alan Knott, decides not to make a fool of
    himself and gives it to Snow. The Sun comes out."

    --
    Dave...