giro mesh seat recurve

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Jim H, May 31, 2003.

  1. Jim H

    Jim H Guest

    Has anyone figured out how to adapt the Bachetta mesh seat for taller riders? I'm 5' 11', not
    exactly tall, but that S-curve at the top hits me just a bit lower than I would like. Maybe a
    thinner foam pad on the base, or changing the way the back frame mounts to the pan? All I want is
    another half-inch.

    Tags:

  2. Jim,

    > Maybe a thinner foam pad on the base,

    I would recommend the thinner seat cushion. RANS started out with a much thinner cushion years
    ago. The market pushed them, and all the makers of similar seats, to the bubble butt cushions we
    see today.

    I prefer a thin cushion...and a smaller base too. Here is an example.

    http://www.hostelshoppe.com/cgi-bin/readitem.pl?Accessory=1049582935

    Maybe the recumbent market is finally getting large enough to support a variety of seat options,
    like the upright market has had for years.

    Warren

  3. My 97 Vrex came with the thinner cushion. I replaced it with a new style (gray foam as I recall)
    cushion after about 2k miles. It made a tremendous difference in comfort. I could ride all day
    comfortably with the newly padded seat. The thinner one gave me recumbent butt after about 45
    minutes. Now admittingly I have a decent sized ass, not huge mind you but big.
    . I have a Giro too, and I find the seat is an excellant fit for me @ 6'1 and 250 YMMV Denny in
    Sayre, PA Bent but not Broken www.recumbentstuff.com "Warren Berger" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...
    > Jim,
    >
    > > Maybe a thinner foam pad on the base,
    >
    > I would recommend the thinner seat cushion. RANS started out with a much thinner cushion years
    > ago. The market pushed them, and all the makers of similar seats, to the bubble butt cushions we
    > see today.
    >
    > I prefer a thin cushion...and a smaller base too. Here is an example.
    >
    > http://www.hostelshoppe.com/cgi-bin/readitem.pl?Accessory=1049582935
    >
    > Maybe the recumbent market is finally getting large enough to support a variety of seat options,
    > like the upright market has had for years.
    >
    > Warren

  4. Denny,

    > I have a decent sized ass, not huge mind you but [email protected] 6'1 and 250

    I think you may have hit on the answer. At 5' 10-1/2" and 155#, I am sliding around on top of the
    bubble butt cushions. I guess my lower weight prevents recumbent butt too.

    Warren

  5. Jim H

    Jim H Guest

    > . I have a Giro too, and I find the seat is an excellant fit for me @ 6'1 and 250

    I suppose people really vary in their 'trunk' dimensions. Mind if I ask - what's your inseam?

  6. My inseam for clothing purposes is 32-33 inch, I don't know my x-seam measurement. "jim h"
    > > . I have a Giro too, and I find the seat is an excellant fit for me @
    6'1
    > > and 250
    >
    > I suppose people really vary in their 'trunk' dimensions. Mind if I ask - what's your inseam?

  7. Jim H

    Jim H Guest

    > At 5' 10-1/2" and 155#, I am sliding around on top of the bubble butt
    cushions.

    We're the same size and weight. I'll look around for some foam to try a thinner pad.