Giro/OLN question

Kristin Garau

Guest
First off, I too am thankful for the wealth of coverage OLN is providing and only hope to see as
much for the vuelta.

Secondly, Summer Sportszone and Bobke are great.

Finally, with the Mt. Everest summit bid today, does anyone know when the Giro finale will be
played on OLN?

Best to you, Kristin

--
Kristin Garau

>Finally, with the Mt. Everest summit bid today, does anyone know when the

Theirteam actually summitted last week, they are delaying their coverage. So, more than 1500 people
have summitted in 50 years. Yawn... I say, make em do the Lohtse Nuptse Everest traverse. That would
be worth watching. Greg

> So, more than 1500 people have summitted in 50 years. Yawn...

Actually, I'm looking forward to the coverage. Not many of those other expeditions are captured on
professional video.

But, to answer the question, OLN's website says the Giro finale will be on today at 3 pm. I think
they are saving the Everest coverage for the evening.

"Bikerecker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> >Finally, with the Mt. Everest summit bid today, does anyone know when the
>
> Theirteam actually summitted last week, they are delaying their coverage.
So,
> more than 1500 people have summitted in 50 years. Yawn... I say, make em do the Lohtse Nuptse
> Everest traverse. That would be worth watching.

I'm not sure that any of those high altitude expeditions would make for exciting television. The
mountaineers have very little energy (compared to what they have at low elevation) due to the high
altitude/low atmospheric pressure, so they don't move very fast. Sure, it's exciting if you're
there, but TV needs action.

Kurgan Gringioni wrote:
> I'm not sure that any of those high altitude expeditions would make for exciting television. The
> mountaineers have very little energy (compared to what they have at low elevation) due to the high
> altitude/low atmospheric pressure, so they don't move very fast. Sure, it's exciting if you're
> there, but TV needs action.

It's new, never seen before. Anything happening in the death zone has some level of mildly morbid
curiosity. I plan to watch every minute of the coverage, but maybe not in the future. Having never
been above 12000' myself, I am intrigued.

In article <[email protected]>, Raptor <[email protected]> wrote:

> Kurgan Gringioni wrote:
> > I'm not sure that any of those high altitude expeditions would make for exciting television. The
> > mountaineers have very little energy (compared to what they have at low elevation) due to the
> > high altitude/low atmospheric pressure, so they don't move very fast. Sure, it's exciting if
> > you're there, but TV needs action.
>
> It's new, never seen before. Anything happening in the death zone has some level of mildly morbid
> curiosity. I plan to watch every minute of the coverage, but maybe not in the future. Having never
> been above 12000' myself, I am intrigued.

Now maybe if someone was riding their bike up Everest....

"Bikerecker" <[email protected]> wrote
> Their team actually summitted last week, they are delaying their coverage.
So,
> more than 1500 people have summitted in 50 years. Yawn...

Agreed. It also serves to cheapen the expereince for those who follow. As an avid climber and
mountaineer, I won't be watching.

-Bob

Bob wrote:
> "Bikerecker" <[email protected]> wrote
>
>>Their team actually summitted last week, they are delaying their coverage.
>
> So,
>
>>more than 1500 people have summitted in 50 years. Yawn...
>

> Agreed. It also serves to cheapen the expereince for those who follow. As an avid climber and
> mountaineer, I won't be watching.
>
> -Bob

Then you're missing all the commercials. It's like the Superbowl, in frequency if not quality.

I hope OLN is making a lot of money so they can continue the fine bike racing coverage.

Marlene Blanshay <[email protected]> wrote
| Now maybe if someone was riding their bike up Everest....

The closest to that was Goran Kropp riding his bike TO Everest (from Sweden) and then ascending (on
foot). A good read: "Ultimate High, My Everest Odyssey" Discovery Books. ISBN 1-56331-830-X
--
Ken Lyons

"Raptor" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Kurgan Gringioni wrote:
> > I'm not sure that any of those high altitude expeditions would make for exciting television. The
> > mountaineers have very little energy (compared
> > what they have at low elevation) due to the high altitude/low
atmospheric
> > pressure, so they don't move very fast. Sure, it's exciting if you're
there,
> > but TV needs action.
>
> It's new, never seen before. Anything happening in the death zone has some level of mildly morbid
> curiosity. I plan to watch every minute of the coverage, but maybe not in the future. Having never
> been above 12000' myself, I am intrigued.

I've spent a month above 14,000 (highest was 17,500).

I think it would make boring TV. They may get ratings the first time from the curious such as
yourself, but I'll guess that'll be the end of it. Climbing Everest by the traditional route is
basically an extremely high altitude (therefore slow-motion) hike.

Footage of an assualt on the South Wall of Lhotse would be more interesting (vertical 13,000 ft,
only been done once), or Makalu or K2, but how would they film those?

horribly boring TV.................... I actually saw some of it this afternoon at post ride
beverage stop.

us wrote:
> horribly boring TV.................... I actually saw some of it this afternoon at post ride
> beverage stop.

I thought it didn't suck, except for the spam. The views were cool, despite the similarity they
had to any high mountain climb. The fact that it's the highest point on the planet made it
interesting to me. I'd like to see an edited/produced version without so many commercial breaks
and background fillers.

"Ken Lyons" <[email protected]> writes:

> Marlene Blanshay <[email protected]> wrote
> | Now maybe if someone was riding their bike up Everest....
>
> The closest to that was Goran Kropp riding his bike TO Everest (from Sweden) and then ascending
> (on foot).

...without supplemental oxygen.

-Gerard

In article <[email protected]>, us <[email protected]> wrote:

> horribly boring TV.................... I actually saw some of it this afternoon at post ride
> beverage stop.

Yes you're right. It may be exciting to ponder, and it's certainly admirable, but it's way too
slowmoving. Now, if they could do something like vote each other off the mountain or have fear
contests where they pretend to push each other into a crevasse or walk around half naked....

In article <[email protected]>, Gerard Lanois <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Ken Lyons" <[email protected]> writes:
>
> > Marlene Blanshay <[email protected]> wrote
> > | Now maybe if someone was riding their bike up Everest....
> >
> > The closest to that was Goran Kropp riding his bike TO Everest (from Sweden) and then ascending
> > (on foot).
>
> ...without supplemental oxygen.
>
> -Gerard
>

> > A good read: "Ultimate High, My Everest Odyssey" Discovery Books. ISBN 1-56331-830-X
> > --
> > Ken Lyons

Apparently most people who die on everest die on the way down. I guess it's the fatigue, oxygen
deprivation, sickness, etc. That's the thing, once you're up there you have to get down!

In article <[email protected]>, Marlene Blanshay <[email protected]> wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>, us <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > horribly boring TV.................... I actually saw some of it this afternoon at post ride
> > beverage stop.
> >
> Yes you're right. It may be exciting to ponder, and it's certainly admirable, but it's way too
> slowmoving. Now, if they could do something like vote each other off the mountain or have fear
> contests where they pretend to push each other into a crevasse or walk around half naked....

Actually, that is essentially what they did to reduce the number of "contestants" down from the 20
or so they originally started with last summer.

-WG

I was ****** at OLN for giving the wrong times.......I tape and all I got was a bunch of RV and
Horse ****!