Giro podium decided today

On May 20, 1:01 pm, Hell And High Water <[email protected]>
wrote:
> In article <0b68834d-288c-476b-a6d4-
> [email protected]>, [email protected] says...
>
> > 1. Contador
> > 2. Kloden
> > 3. Levi

> You think it will stay that way through all the mountains?
>
> -Bob

Okay, so maybe Rujano knocks Levi off the podium ... but yeh, i think
it'll stay about like that (such is the strength of Astana's
program). don't get me wrong, di luca, simoni, et al will fight up
into the top ten, but they won't be able to get enough time on
contador or kloden to make the podium.

On May 20, 11:11 am, bar <[email protected]> wrote:
> On May 20, 1:01 pm, Hell And High Water <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> > In article <0b68834d-288c-476b-a6d4-
> > [email protected]>, [email protected] says...

> > > 1. Contador
> > > 2. Kloden
> > > 3. Levi

> > You think it will stay that way through all the mountains?

> > -Bob

> Okay, so maybe Rujano knocks Levi off the podium ... but yeh, i think
> it'll stay about like that (such is the strength of Astana's
> program).  don't get me wrong, di luca, simoni, et al will fight up
> into the top ten, but they won't be able to get enough time on
> contador or kloden to make the podium.

Pretty impressive for a team that didn't expect to race, and was only
invited at the last minute. Maybe all that intensive preparation for
a grand tour is not only not necessary, but perhaps counter-
productive, regardless of what that guy Lance what's-his-name might
say.

In article
<0b68834d-288c-476b-a6d4-848c8752633b@a70g2000hsh.googlegroups.com>,
bar <[email protected]> wrote:

> 1. Contador
> 2. Kloden
> 3. Levi

Who wins the team championship?

--
Michael Press

In article
<81241109-2674-4785-a410-7ead505f9c07@g16g2000pri.googlegroups.com>,
Scott <[email protected]> wrote:

> On May 20, 11:11 am, bar <[email protected]> wrote:
> > On May 20, 1:01 pm, Hell And High Water <[email protected]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > In article <0b68834d-288c-476b-a6d4-
> > > [email protected]>, [email protected] says...

> > > You think it will stay that way through all the mountains?

> > Okay, so maybe Rujano knocks Levi off the podium ... but yeh, i think
> > it'll stay about like that (such is the strength of Astana's
> > program).  don't get me wrong, di luca, simoni, et al will fight up
> > into the top ten, but they won't be able to get enough time on
> > contador or kloden to make the podium.

> Pretty impressive for a team that didn't expect to race, and was only
> invited at the last minute. Maybe all that intensive preparation for
> a grand tour is not only not necessary, but perhaps counter-
> productive, regardless of what that guy Lance what's-his-name might
> say.

I expect Astana worked hard to get into the Giro,
while the riders kept their edge. Once they were
in they started with the poor mouthing and sand-
bagging, as I predicted.

Contador breaks a bone, DiLuca writes him off
for the time trial, and two days later he puts
serious time into _everybody_.

--
Michael Press

On May 20, 6:32 pm, Michael Press <[email protected]> wrote:
> In article
> <0b68834d-288c-476b-a6d4-848c87526...@a70g2000hsh.googlegroups.com>,
>
>  bar <[email protected]> wrote:
> > 1. Contador
> > 2. Kloden
> > 3. Levi

> Who wins the team championship?
>
> --
> Michael Press

I'm sure Paolo Savoldelli
Denis Menchov
Gilberto
Simoni
Jurgen Van Den Broeck
and Rebellin will all, or at least some of them have some fight in
them. It's very unlikely that Astana will come away with the 3 top
spots, realistically.

Andre

On May 20, 4:42 pm, Andre <[email protected]> wrote:
> On May 20, 6:32 pm, Michael Press <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > In article
> > <0b68834d-288c-476b-a6d4-848c87526...@a70g2000hsh.googlegroups.com>,

> >  bar <[email protected]> wrote:
> > > 1. Contador
> > > 2. Kloden
> > > 3. Levi

> > Who wins the team championship?

> > --
> > Michael Press

> I'm sure Paolo Savoldelli
>  Denis Menchov
>  Gilberto
> Simoni
> Jurgen Van Den Broeck
> and Rebellin will all, or at least some of them have some fight in
> them. It's very unlikely that Astana will come away with the 3 top
> spots, realistically.
>
>        Andre

I'm wondering if Bosisio isn't being overlooked. He's in a good
position and can obviously climb and time trial some. I don't know
much about him, but I see that he has a few minor wins.

What does Astana do when they have the jersey, and the other teams
look to them to control the race in the mountains? I think they have
to burn at least one of their three leaders in that role. I'm guessing
that it's Leipheimer.

The closest comparison I can think of is the TDF in '86 when La Vie
Claire went 1,2,4,7. But Hampsten was 18' down for 4th.

Bret

On May 20, 7:14 pm, Bret <[email protected]> wrote:

> I'm wondering if Bosisio isn't being overlooked. He's in a good
> position and can obviously climb and time trial some. I don't know
> much about him, but I see that he has a few minor wins.

if it was a regular giro and there were no tour contenders, maybe.

> What does Astana do when they have the jersey, and the other teams
> look to them to control the race in the mountains?

they ride away from everybody like the cinzano team.

In article <81241109-2674-4785-a410-7ead505f9c07@g16g2000pri.googlegroups.com>,
Scott <[email protected]> wrote:

> On May 20, 11:11 am, bar <[email protected]> wrote:
> > On May 20, 1:01 pm, Hell And High Water <[email protected]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > In article <0b68834d-288c-476b-a6d4-
> > > [email protected]>, [email protected] says...

> > > You think it will stay that way through all the mountains?

> > > -Bob

> > Okay, so maybe Rujano knocks Levi off the podium ... but yeh, i think
> > it'll stay about like that (such is the strength of Astana's
> > program).  don't get me wrong, di luca, simoni, et al will fight up
> > into the top ten, but they won't be able to get enough time on
> > contador or kloden to make the podium.

> Pretty impressive for a team that didn't expect to race, and was only
> invited at the last minute. Maybe all that intensive preparation for
> a grand tour is not only not necessary, but perhaps counter-
> productive, regardless of what that guy Lance what's-his-name might
> say.

The Adrenaline Theory on a Grand scale?

--
tanx,
Howard

Whatever happened to
Leon Trotsky?
He got an icepick
That made his ears burn.

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

On May 20, 6:00 pm, Amit Ghosh <[email protected]> wrote:
> On May 20, 7:14 pm, Bret <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > I'm wondering if Bosisio isn't being overlooked. He's in a good
> > position and can obviously climb and time trial some. I don't know
> > much about him, but I see that he has a few minor wins.

> if it was a regular giro and there were no tour contenders, maybe.
>
> > What does Astana do when they have the jersey, and the other teams
> > look to them to control the race in the mountains?

> they ride away from everybody like the cinzano team.

Good luck with that prediction. Contador will win but the team will
have to work for it.

bar wrote:

> Okay, so maybe Rujano knocks Levi off the podium ... but yeh, i think
> it'll stay about like that (such is the strength of Astana's
> program). don't get me wrong, di luca, simoni, et al will fight up
> into the top ten, but they won't be able to get enough time on
> contador or kloden to make the podium.

You forgot the quotes around 'program'.

On May 21, 1:58 pm, Kyle Legate <[email protected]> wrote:
> bar wrote:
>
> > Okay, so maybe Rujano knocks Levi off the podium ... but yeh, i think
> > it'll stay about like that (such is the strength of Astana's
> > program).  don't get me wrong, di luca, simoni, et al will fight up
> > into the top ten, but they won't be able to get enough time on
> > contador or kloden to make the podium.

> You forgot the quotes around 'program'.

quotes are unnecessary when 'Astana' and 'program' appear in the same
sentence ;)