Giro: Rogers to lead T-Mobile??

Absent Husband

Guest
Saw the brief cycling spot on SBS World Sports the other night. They
said that Michael Rogers would be the Team Leader of T-Mobile in the
Giro!!!!!

Apparently Big Jan was using the event strictly as a training effort
for Le Tour, and would be Rogers "deputy" in the mountains....

Go Mick!!!!

Abby

Absent Husband said:
Saw the brief cycling spot on SBS World Sports the other night. They
said that Michael Rogers would be the Team Leader of T-Mobile in the
Giro!!!!!

Apparently Big Jan was using the event strictly as a training effort
for Le Tour, and would be Rogers "deputy" in the mountains....

Go Mick!!!!

Abby

Really hoping he does well but I thought that was a strange report to be honest. (If Tomalaris put it together then it doesnt surprise me) Rogers is using it to get into Tour shape as much as Ullrich. Though Jan is probably carrying a few extra donuts. Havent seen much evidence Rogers can climb in a Grand Tour yet, and wouldnt be surprised to see him in the grupetto alot. I guess he's the leader coz nobody else will do much on the GC for Tmobile.

Absent Husband wrote:
> Saw the brief cycling spot on SBS World Sports the other night. They
> said that Michael Rogers would be the Team Leader of T-Mobile in the
> Giro!!!!!
>
> Apparently Big Jan was using the event strictly as a training effort
> for Le Tour, and would be Rogers "deputy" in the mountains....
>
> Go Mick!!!!
>
> Abby

Is "team leader" the same as "main GC rider"?

I didn't see that bit on SBS, but I thought T-Mobile's main GC rider in
the Giro is the 2004 runner-up, Serguei Gonchar, and Ullrich would be
riding in support of Gonchar.

petulance said:
Is "team leader" the same as "main GC rider"?

I didn't see that bit on SBS, but I thought T-Mobile's main GC rider in
the Giro is the 2004 runner-up, Serguei Gonchar, and Ullrich would be
riding in support of Gonchar.

probably see who's 'hotter' in the hills then back 'him'.
Same kinda lead up with Rogers and Tour de Suisse. almost bagged it bar last stage...

Absent Husband said:
Saw the brief cycling spot on SBS World Sports the other night. They
said that Michael Rogers would be the Team Leader of T-Mobile in the
Giro!!!!!

Apparently Big Jan was using the event strictly as a training effort
for Le Tour, and would be Rogers "deputy" in the mountains....

Go Mick!!!!

Abby

But lookout Jan is 5kg lighter now he's lost the big hairdo! And FFS Savoldelli can you at least crack a smile when you win a stage and get kissed by the podium girls? :)

Oh yeah...go Robbie !!!!

Adam

and what a surprise to hear other riders making comments re G Brown's riding techniques in the last km! :rolleyes:

flyingdutch said:
and what a surprise to hear other riders making comments re G Brown's riding techniques in the last km! :rolleyes:

Is he known for a bit of argy-bargy? At least it didn't end up like the race I was in yesterday with 4 hospitalised after a massive sprint pileup!

http://tinyurl.com/hlypq

Adam

adam85 said:
Is he known for a bit of argy-bargy? At least it didn't end up like the race I was in yesterday with 4 hospitalised after a massive sprint pileup!

http://tinyurl.com/hlypq

Adam

Brown/Mecewen have had a long-running grievance apparently and Brownie has been involved in a few incidients since going over to Europe...

flyingdutch said:
and what a surprise to hear other riders making comments re G Brown's riding techniques in the last km! :rolleyes:

haha, was waiting for Browns first incident this year, he certainly picks the big stage to do it. He had been well behaved all season too. Whatever happened it seemed to put him in poor position, a fair way back.

oely wrote:
> Absent Husband Wrote:
> > Saw the brief cycling spot on SBS World Sports the other night. They
> > said that Michael Rogers would be the Team Leader of T-Mobile in the
> > Giro!!!!!
> >
> > Apparently Big Jan was using the event strictly as a training effort
> > for Le Tour, and would be Rogers "deputy" in the mountains....
> >
> > Go Mick!!!!
> >
> > Abby

> Really hoping he does well but I thought that was a strange report to
> be honest. (If Tomalaris put it together then it doesnt surprise me)
> Rogers is using it to get into Tour shape as much as Ullrich. Though
> Jan is probably carrying a few extra donuts. Havent seen much evidence
> Rogers can climb in a Grand Tour yet, and wouldnt be surprised to see
> him in the grupetto alot. I guess he's the leader coz nobody else will
> do much on the GC for Tmobile.

Rogers was good for a couple of days in the '04 TdF, working for
Virenque in the Alps. He's got the potential, but maybe not much
better than a top 10 if all goes well.

petulance wrote:
> adam85 wrote:
> > But lookout Jan is 5kg lighter now he's lost the big hairdo!

> Apparently he's lost the ear ring as well ... what a weight weenie!
>
> :p
>
> > And FFS
> > Savoldelli can you at least crack a smile when you win a stage and get
> > kissed by the podium girls? :)

> "Classy" ...
>
> http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2006/giro06/index.php?id=giro061/_TM_7600
>
> I'm sure the women like that ...

Got to be better than drinking the stuff ... :)

Bleve said:
oely wrote:
> Absent Husband Wrote:
> > Saw the brief cycling spot on SBS World Sports the other night. They
> > said that Michael Rogers would be the Team Leader of T-Mobile in the
> > Giro!!!!!
> >
> > Apparently Big Jan was using the event strictly as a training effort
> > for Le Tour, and would be Rogers "deputy" in the mountains....
> >
> > Go Mick!!!!
> >
> > Abby

> Really hoping he does well but I thought that was a strange report to
> be honest. (If Tomalaris put it together then it doesnt surprise me)
> Rogers is using it to get into Tour shape as much as Ullrich. Though
> Jan is probably carrying a few extra donuts. Havent seen much evidence
> Rogers can climb in a Grand Tour yet, and wouldnt be surprised to see
> him in the grupetto alot. I guess he's the leader coz nobody else will
> do much on the GC for Tmobile.

Rogers was good for a couple of days in the '04 TdF, working for
Virenque in the Alps. He's got the potential, but maybe not much
better than a top 10 if all goes well.

Thats true plus his ITT up Alp D'huez showed some promise by finishing 11th or 12th. But he doesnt seem to handle a 3 week race too well, even in the long time trials he finishes a long way back. When he has a bad day then it seems he really loses a ton of time.

petulance wrote:
> adam85 wrote:
>> But lookout Jan is 5kg lighter now he's lost the big hairdo!

> Apparently he's lost the ear ring as well ... what a weight weenie!
>
> :p
>
>> And FFS
>> Savoldelli can you at least crack a smile when you win a stage and get
>> kissed by the podium girls? :)

> "Classy" ...
>
> http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2006/giro06/index.php?id=giro061/_TM_7600
>
> I'm sure the women like that ...