GIRO - Spoiler

Salvoldelli sounds like a pretty humble sort person for an elite athlete.

After the penultimate stage he was pleased to still be in the lead and stated that he wasn't a "real" Giro winner because he hadn't left them all standing in the mountains.

He also, rather than keep the focus on him, mentioned that he hoped he could work hard for Armstrong in Le Tour.

Sounds pretty level headed to me compared to some of the self important cyclists in the peloton. :)

mitosis said:
Sounds pretty level headed to me compared to some of the self important cyclists in the peloton. :)
Yes, he is, I remember him doing a "sign" on a paper a fan passed him from a motorbike during a training: he took the pen, the paper, signed on it an said thanks to his tifoso:)

Too humble if you asked me.......same with Basso when someone asked him if he would be in pink if he wouldn't have had that stomach bug. Basso replied something like they are in a big fight for the pink jersey so I won't make a comment on that. Aaaaaagh that is a bit over the top. That is the problem what a lot of people have with sportstars....they seem to not have an opinion (on camera that is). I like people with strong opinions and who give 'no ordinary' quotes like Karsten Kroon after amstel.

Karsten kroon said: "I didn't feel my legs all day! Even after the Keutenberg, no acid. So I was in front with four others, then Van Bon got dropped on the
Eyserbosweg, but nobody wanted to ride!! Lotz couldn't ride because
Bettini was behind; WTF?! That guy hasn't done one decent race this year
and now all of a sudden he's their main man?! Then Wesemann, he wouldn't
ride either, not once. I don't know, I *really* don't understand. It
seems as though only the same old 4 or 5 guys are allowed to win ever,
goddammit! I'm hitting the showers now!"

mitosis said:

After the penultimate stage he was pleased to still be in the lead and stated that he wasn't a "real" Giro winner because he hadn't left them all standing in the mountains.

He also, rather than keep the focus on him, mentioned that he hoped he could work hard for Armstrong in Le Tour.

limerickman said:
What a stage today.

On the Finestre Simoni was 2mins 20secs ahead of Delli, so he had moved in to 1st place on GC.
Delli descended well but only managed to close the gap to 1min 20secs over Simoni.
DiLuca worked well with Simoni but Rujano bidded his time well and pulled away from Simoni with 4kms to go.
What a stage today ! What a great great stage. I taped it and just watched it on ES and I have to say "well done one and all".
Delli, for a man by himself, rode very very well.
He did get some help on the final climb from Adilla but that is fair.

Simoni almost did it.

Congrats to Rujano/Parra and the Selle Italia team.

(I think Di Luca was calculated that Simoni and Rujano were going to win and that Delli might die - so that's why he went with them).
Very good analysis! Only that in th GPM the gap actually was 2'16'' and after the descend was something like 1'50''. The difference was made during the false flat leading to the final climb. 6 riders that collaborate are better than 2 who don't. Also the leading pair had lost some 10'' going at low pace as they were trying to see what happens with Di Luca.

Anyway, bravo to Simoni & Di Luca for the effort on the Colle delle Finestre, bravo to Savoldelli who had an astonishing tactic (he followed his own pace not burning himself-actually he time trialled the whole climb!!!)
A great Giro, let's hope for a better next year!

PS: Guys if you think that a 3 week stage race is a piece of cake, that's fine, anyone can have his own opinion. But show respect to the riders. Even if it's Simoni even if it's Lance timetrialling Alpe d' Huez. At least they deserve this!

limerickman said:
But the situation at Lampre must be terrible.
If Simoni is now complaining about Cunego - will Lampre still send Simoni as support to Cunego at the TDF ?

I saw this question a lot in a few topics. I don' t remember seeing anywhere that Simoni will do the TdF anyway. I think it isn't in his program at all.

Dimos said:
PS: Guys if you think that a 3 week stage race is a piece of cake, that's fine, anyone can have his own opinion. But show respect to the riders. Even if it's Simoni even if it's Lance timetrialling Alpe d' Huez. At least they deserve this!

Good point Dimos.
A three week grand tour is very tough going.
That is what impresses me about Delli's win.
The received wisdom is that you need a team dedicated to a "team leader" and all the team "sacrifice" themselves for the leader in order for the leader to win.

In this Giro, we saw cycling as it used to be : man against man (by and large).

I don't believe you will see Simoni at the tour de France ever again. He practically said as much last year if I remember correctly. He "HATES" the tour. Rujano gave a better and more genuine dedication to Pantani than the Italian cyclists have the last two years, saying he has always been a big fan, and wears an earring in tribute. I think his sporting director realized too late into the giro, the very real possibilities of Rujano to take the overall. Also I must say that Savoldelli's tactics were impeccable, from his hydration and snacking to his energy utilization and finally to his ability to find allies. Rujano, Simoni, and DiLuca hurt themselves with respect to the overall, by not cooperating more and by not staying hydrated and fresh as they might have. But in effect Rujano's tactics were understandable because he needed to hold off DiLuca for podium, and he wanted the stage win, which he accomplished.

Dimos said:
I saw this question a lot in a few topics. I don' t remember seeing anywhere that Simoni will do the TdF anyway. I think it isn't in his program at all.

Actually today Dimos I read that Simoni has not yet ruled out the tour, but clarifies that he would not be going as team captain. That the best he can realistically shoot for is a stage win. That it is a very difficult course in that it is possible to be left in the wind even on flat stages. He noted the stages in the northern part of France as being particularly difficult.

Dimos said: