Giro: Stage 10 picks

Bro Deal

Jun 26, 2006
The course looks good for a break. It would need enough time to hold off the contenders on the final climb.

I think I will go for Perez.

I think the GC contenders will run the break down and try and get a stage win. I'll go for Cunego to get one over on Di Luca with Ricco in third.

Eldrack said:
I think the GC contenders will run the break down and try and get a stage win.
That is the most likely outcome, but I can always hope.

Maybe a better question would be which of the contenders will lose out. I will guess that Popovych loses a big chunk of time.

I hope Savoldelli wil make up lost time to Di Luca, but I'm not sure how realistic is that.
And about breakaway... To dangerous in this phase of the race. It will be caught, probably, on final climb.
Winner could be Cunego, Gibo and pay special attention on Ricco after that stage 8 mess.
So, I'm saying Ricco.

Andrija said:
I hope Savoldelli wil make up lost time to Di Luca, but I'm not sure how realistic is that.
And about breakaway... To dangerous in this phase of the race. It will be caught, probably, on final climb.
Winner could be Cunego, Gibo and pay special attention on Ricco after that stage 8 mess.
So, I'm saying Ricco.
Think Ricco is going to pull a Cunego on Gibo?

Smilf said:
Think Ricco is going to pull a Cunego on Gibo?
I think they'll try, but won't be able to shake off of Cunego (Ricco could launch few lead out attacks but Cunego will follow), then they could try with 1 - 2 attack in final km. where Ricco is 2 'cause of better sprinting.
Also, Saunier won't sacrifice Ricco for Gibo so early in the race, they'll want to save two cards in game as long as it's possible. That's why I think those three could come together on the finish.
But the climb isn't so demanding so we could see larger group coming to the finish, where the team with more riders has advantage and that's again Saunier Duval.

lwedge said:
I think Simoni takes this stage.

lw
I'm not sure about Cunego, it appears he is really focusing on the third week. Maybe his plan is to win the Giro with the last two big mountain stages and the final ITT.

Would be very handy for Gibo to make up some time here on the other contenders, he is lagging behind a little.

That said I think Danielson will take the stage.

Bro Deal said:
The course looks good for a break. It would need enough time to hold off the contenders on the final climb.

I think I will go for Perez.
Ricco will be seething having to abandon the break in stage 9, then his DS had a go at him for not consulting him before he dropped back to the peloton...he'll have extra motivation in stage 10.

Andy Schleck -- though hard to say how so young a guy will handle 250 kms. For a dark horse, how about Mario Aerts? He's no stranger to long breakaways and though not too low on GC now probably not too much of a threat over the long haul.

Walrus said:
Ricco will be seething having to abandon the break in stage 9, then his DS had a go at him for not consulting him before he dropped back to the peloton...he'll have extra motivation in stage 10.
I think this stage could go to Cunego. But right there will be all the others, there will be no big separations. However we should be able to see who cannot win the giro. Also with possibility for this stage in my opinion are DiLuca, Garzelli, and Ricco.

This would seem to be the kind of stage Cunego could take. But I agree with the other posters, I believe this finish will tell us more about who will not win the Giro...

The break that had to form on such a long stage with lots of climbs did not make it. Hincapie is getting stronger.

Saunier looks to be ready for the big mountains. Forza Gibo.

This is turning into the "old guy's giro" - stage winner and new pink jersey are in their very late 30s! :D

No shake up on this stage. There was not a decent selection on the climb. Popo loses a little. Cunego loses even less. Di Luca must want to gain as much time as possible before the big mountains.

Bro Deal said:
Di Luca must want to gain as much time as possible before the big mountains.
Yes, that's what he said in some interview few days ago. He'll try to build up solid advantage on first two mountain top finishes and then just to try to keep that advantage in third week. I'm not sure if this is enough, maybe after TT he'll have bigger advantage, but what really interests me is if he burned too many matches too early. That first attack today was so miscalculated.

Good stage today. Pancake flat one tomorrow (or at least there's no catagorised climbs) then the **** will hit the fan on thursday with two real sized mountains.

Looks like there's going to be a fight for every place in the top 10 this year, so many quality riders around.

Eldrack said:
Good stage today. Pancake flat one tomorrow (or at least there's no catagorised climbs) then the **** will hit the fan on thursday with two real sized mountains.

Looks like there's going to be a fight for every place in the top 10 this year, so many quality riders around.

Looking forward to Thursday.

I think Gibo is too.

tcklyde said:
Andy Schleck -- though hard to say how so young a guy will handle 250 kms.

Pretty darn close, and he's not even 22 yet! Very impressive. He just faded a bit as he was closing in on Piepoli, but I'd hate to see what this guy is capable of when he really starts hitting his straps in his late 20's. His bro Frank said "he's better than me" and he wasn't kidding...

limerickman said:
Looking forward to Thursday.

I think Gibo is too.
Me too. Simoni is looking strong. Cunego on the other hand I am not so sure of.

I want to know Pellizotti's status. Will he be too burned out from supporting Di Luca to ride for himself if (when??) Di Luca fades?

I would like to see Savoldelli arrive at the top of the Izoard with the other contenders and then bomb the descent for the win. I think Simoni and Saunier will put the screws to everyone, though.