Giro : Stage 11 Pontedera - Pontedera, ITT : 50 kms

teetopkram said:
The next two months were just answered for us in today's TT.

Mark
Fortunately for those of us who actually enjoy the races in part because we are not sure in advance who will win, no such answers were provided, merely hints.

Or do you mean that you know the outcome of the TdF, but only through stage 15 on the 18th of July? :)

Okay, time for the Mia Culpa. I predicted that Jan would do poorly in today's TT. For all you Jan fans, I was dead wrong! Even given the wind conditions, he blew away everone who rode in the same air. So I think he would have done very well even if everyone had the same air.:eek:

whiteboytrash said:
GC looks interesting:

General classification after stage 11

1 Ivan Basso (Ita) Team CSC 40.28.56
2 José E. Gutierrez Cataluna (Spa) Phonak Hearing Systems 2.48
3 Serguei Gonchar (Ukr) T-Mobile Team 3.24
4 Paolo Savoldelli (Ita) Discovery Channel Pro Cycling Team 3.26
5 Tom Danielson (USA) Discovery Channel Pro Cycling Team 5.38
6 Franco Pellizotti (Ita) Liquigas 6.37
7 Victor Hugo Pena Grisales (Col) Phonak Hearing Systems 6.54
8 Damiano Cunego (Ita) Lampre-Fondital
9 Gilberto Simoni (Ita) Saunier Duval-Prodir 7.13
10 Danilo Di Luca (Ita) Liquigas 7.33
14 José Rujano Guillen (Ven) Selle Italia-Serramenti Diquigiovanni 9.1
Not so much interesting to me... I just can't see a man who can beat Basso.
The only interesting thing will be to watch Cunego, Simoni and Di Luca fighting for the podium.

saluki said:
Okay, time for the Mia Culpa. I predicted that Jan would do poorly in today's TT. For all you Jan fans, I was dead wrong! Even given the wind conditions, he blew away everone who rode in the same air. So I think he would have done very well even if everyone had the same air.:eek:

Did Musette ask you to post this message?????????????????/

(only joking saluki )

saluki said:

Just to be clear I am a Jan fan,a Lance fan,a Basso fan etc. I love the sport and all,well most all, that it is about.
Someone mentioned orgasms.
July is a three week orgasm for me.

Good to see Pena appear in the top 10 of a major tour, up from 14th. Probably won't hold it, working for Gutierrez, but still a great result so far.

whiteboytrash said:
GC looks interesting:

General classification after stage 11

1 Ivan Basso (Ita) Team CSC 40.28.56
2 José E. Gutierrez Cataluna (Spa) Phonak Hearing Systems 2.48
3 Serguei Gonchar (Ukr) T-Mobile Team 3.24
4 Paolo Savoldelli (Ita) Discovery Channel Pro Cycling Team 3.26
5 Tom Danielson (USA) Discovery Channel Pro Cycling Team 5.38
6 Franco Pellizotti (Ita) Liquigas 6.37
7 Victor Hugo Pena Grisales (Col) Phonak Hearing Systems 6.54
8 Damiano Cunego (Ita) Lampre-Fondital
9 Gilberto Simoni (Ita) Saunier Duval-Prodir 7.13
10 Danilo Di Luca (Ita) Liquigas 7.33
14 José Rujano Guillen (Ven) Selle Italia-Serramenti Diquigiovanni 9.19

limerickman said:
Ullrich wins the ITT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The master blaster is back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Forza DER KAISER.

Bellisimo.
Ulle: TOURGOTT!!!

jhuskey said:
Just to be clear I am a Jan fan,a Lance fan,a Basso fan etc. I love the sport and all,well most all, that it is about.
Someone mentioned orgasms.
July is a three week orgasm for me.

Here, here!

Andrija said:
Not so much interesting to me... I just can't see a man who can beat Basso.
The only interesting thing will be to watch Cunego, Simoni and Di Luca fighting for the podium.
my pics, whoop left Jan out

1. Basso
2. Salvodelli
Bruseghin
3. Gonchar
4. Rogers
5. Cioni
6. Diluca
7. Danielson
8. Schumacher

results

1 Jan Ullrich (Ger) T-Mobile Team 58.48 (51.02 km/h)
2 Ivan Basso (Ita) Team CSC 0.28
3 Marco Pinotti (Ita) Saunier Duval-Prodir 1.01
4 Serguei Gonchar (Ukr) T-Mobile Team 1.09
5 Paolo Savoldelli (Ita) Discovery Channel Pro Cycling Team 1.19
6 José E. Gutierrez Cataluna (Spa) Phonak Hearing Systems 1.42
7 Jens Voigt (Ger) Team CSC 2.12
8 Gustav Erik Larsson (Swe) Française des Jeux 2.22
9 Dario David Cioni (Ita) Liquigas 2.24
10 Viatcheslav Ekimov (Rus) Discovery Channel Pro Cycling Team 2.27
11 Tom Danielson (USA) Discovery Channel Pro Cycling Team 2.35

Wow! Ullrich breaks the legs of the peloton! For someone who is meant to be out of shape and unfit that is quite an achievement. Maybe Lance will change his mind again as to who will win in July.........

This time trial really does spell out that it is Basso's race to loose. He wins in the first mountain top finish, he tears shreds out of the climbers in the time trials.

Phonak are doing quite well, especially considering they where pretty much ignored in the lead up to the race. Mind you, the hardest is still to come so both their men could drop out of contention.

Eldrack said:
Wow! Ullrich breaks the legs of the peloton! For someone who is meant to be out of shape and unfit that is quite an achievement. Maybe Lance will change his mind again as to who will win in July.........

This time trial really does spell out that it is Basso's race to loose. He wins in the first mountain top finish, he tears shreds out of the climbers in the time trials.

Phonak are doing quite well, especially considering they where pretty much ignored in the lead up to the race. Mind you, the hardest is still to come so both their men could drop out of contention.

Today Basso took a significant step toward the Maglia Rosa.
But.
There's a week to go and it's by now means cut and dried.
I think Basso should hold on but who knows.

Just noticed this:

30 José Rujano Guillen (Ven) Selle Italia-Serramenti Diquigiovanni 4.15

Which is better than Cunego, Simoni and Di Luca. Which ain't bad for someone of Rujano's stature. And he is probably a better climber than all three of them (definitely stronger than Di Luca) so I think he could end up doing quite well.

Although seeing the other favourites are so far behind they have nothing to lose by attacking and attacking and attacking even to their own determent.... I think the race will still open up next week by Basso looks mighty strong. To finish 28 seconds behind Ullrich is impressive. Two years ago he wouldn’t of got within three minutes of Ullrich.
limerickman said:
Today Basso took a significant step toward the Maglia Rosa.
But.
There's a week to go and it's by now means cut and dried.
I think Basso should hold on but who knows.

whiteboytrash said:
Champagne to our friends and pain to our sham friends !
yep! :D Been a nice day.

Oh and someone mentioned July being a three week orgasm.

Well, May's turning out to be the same for many of us now I think.

I think by the end of Stage 16 the GC will be sorted out such that Basso, Savoldelli, Rujano, Cunego, Simoni are all in the top ten, probably top 8 with a significant buffer over people outside the top ten. Some attacking on these stages but I think any time gaps will not be huge as there is only one climb on each of these stages. Everyone will get shredded on the first climb of stage 17 (Passo delle Erbe) which is a monster in its own right. Then at the base of Corones I believe the attacks will start. Everyone will have to give it a go. When the road gets that steep, and the speeds that slow having someone in front of you isn't that much help except for pacing, so you might as well give it a go. Then there will be a whole load more attacking on stages 19 and 20 as last ditch attempts to dethrone Basso. I just can't wait.

The key here is that Jan looks happy and he really is enjoying his riding... today was a great ride for him and he has added a Giro stage to his growing list of wins.... this will do wonders for his confidence....

Dead Star said:
yep! :D Been a nice day.

Oh and someone mentioned July being a three week orgasm.

Well, May's turning out to be the same for many of us now I think.