Giro stage 17 results

Eldrack

Jan 10, 2005
Wow, brilliant win by Simoni. Yet another epic stage, TdF and the Vuelta are going to be a let down compared to this! GC looks something like this after the stage:

Di Luca
Schleck 2:26
Simoni: 2:29
Cunego 3:23
Mazzoleni 3:46

Mazzoleni is by far the best TTist out of that group. Cunego's TT skills have improved massively on last year. Schleck is ok but lost 43 seconds to Mazzoleni in the 20.4 k TT in the TdR, and that was hillier than giro stage 20. It's all going to end up being very, very close.

I think Di Luca did maximum to limit his losses. It is great to see leader in trouble- it was the thing the race needed and Di Luca's fightback was great.

The Zoncolan seems to be Simoni's domain. Was there a time bonus for this stage win ? Doesn't look like it.

lwedge said:
The Zoncolan seems to be Simoni's domain. Was there a time bonus for this stage win ? Doesn't look like it.
Congratulations to Andy Schleck for sticking with the big guns!

Now if only he can hang on in the ITT, he'll have a podium spot. I think the Maglia Bianca is in the bag for him. Ricco faded at the end a little.

padawan said:

Now if only he can hang on in the ITT, he'll have a podium spot. I think the Maglia Bianca is in the bag for him.

He's the "Next Charly Gaul"

guncha said:
I think Di Luca did maximum to limit his losses. It is great to see leader in trouble- it was the thing the race needed and Di Luca's fightback was great.
He was never in terrible trouble and rode the climb very smart. Unfortuately we may hear he's been busted for PED's soon as well.

Simoni just didn't have enough to keep his attack going, but he had a great ride today.

20 seconds for the win

lwedge said:

20 second time bonus to Simoni for winning and he finished 30 secs ahead of DiLuca - in all he recouped 50 secs on DiLuca.

Eldrack said:
Wow, brilliant win by Simoni. Yet another epic stage, TdF and the Vuelta are going to be a let down compared to this! GC looks something like this after the stage:

Di Luca

Mazzoleni is by far the best TTist out of that group. Cunego's TT skills have improved massively on last year. Schleck is ok but lost 43 seconds to Mazzoleni in the 20.4 k TT in the TdR, and that was hillier than giro stage 20. It's all going to end up being very, very close.

Another superb stage today - I agree.
Simoni attacked from early toward the end of the stage and worked really hard.
That was some final climb today.

I felt sorry for Cioni - he looked like he was in agony as he was caught by Simoni and the rest.

Schleck's a revelation :

Piepoli's work too is really impressive.

limerickman said:
Another superb stage today - I agree.
Simoni attacked from early toward the end of the stage and worked really hard.
That was some final climb today.

I felt sorry for Cioni - he looked like he was in agony as he was caught by Simoni and the rest.

Schleck's a revelation :

Piepoli's work too is really impressive.

Agreed Lim and I have to say I'm back and in love with cycling ! What a stage although a hell of lot of pushing going on.... but some of the riders needed it.....

Question now; Apart from the TT where can Simoni/Schleck make up time ?

Eldrack said:

Di Luca

Just for good measure here is some TT results of those top 5

Giro 06 TT 50km
Simoni 1:03:09 47.5km/h
Di Luca 1:04:01 46.9km/h
Cunego 1:04:22 46.6km/h

TDF 06 TT 52km
Mazzoleni 1:03:47 48.9km/h
Simoni 1:07:01 46.6km/h
Cunego 1:08:05 45.8km/h

TdR 07 TT 20.4km
Mazzoleni 0:27:22 44.7km/h
Schleck 0:28:05 43.6km/h

If any of thats to go by the end result could be
Di Luca
Simoni
Mazzoleni
Cunego
Schleck

It's going to be real close though (from 2nd to 5th), could go either way. The only pick I'm confident with is Di Luca to stay on top. :p

Trev_S said:
Just for good measure here is some TT results of those top 5

Giro 06 TT 50km
Simoni 1:03:09 47.5km/h
Di Luca 1:04:01 46.9km/h
Cunego 1:04:22 46.6km/h

TDF 06 TT 52km
Mazzoleni 1:03:47 48.9km/h
Simoni 1:07:01 46.6km/h
Cunego 1:08:05 45.8km/h

TdR 07 TT 20.4km
Mazzoleni 0:27:22 44.7km/h
Schleck 0:28:05 43.6km/h

If any of thats to go by the end result could be
Di Luca
Simoni
Mazzoleni
Cunego
Schleck

It's going to be real close though (from 2nd to 5th), could go either way. The only pick I'm confident with is Di Luca to stay on top. :p

I agree that Di Luca has enough time to hold out all others. Shame he is far enough ahead not to get caught - what a finish it would otherwise be!

Simoni-Schleck will be a close battle, and could go either way, perhaps the edge just with Simoni.

My opinion is that Mazzoleni wont catch Schleck - 1min22sec to make up. Still, that will be close as well!

But I will wager that there is no chance that Cunego will catch Schleck. Cunego has not looked in good form and is not a noted TTer - OK neither is Schleck, but Schleck has good legs right now, and a seemingly a pretty strong will to win.

So I hope Schleck gets up for 2nd, but he will be 4th at worst.

Something that has come to mind - remember Rasmussen a couple of years ago in the TdF trying to hold a podium position in the last ITT with noted TTers close behind on GC? Lets hope the same fate does not befall Schleck!

whiteboytrash said:
Question now; Apart from the TT where can Simoni/Schleck make up time ?
The Simoni hooligans will return and crack Di Luca on the knee during the TT. :D

Agreed, another great stage

Simoni's the man - what is he, 35 years old? If it weren't for the stupid team time trial at the start of the Giro, then Simoni would be in with a shout of catching Di Luca.

That gradient! I wonder did anyone end up toppling over?

Schleck's the new big mig. Not one for attacking is he?

I want to inform a new beautiful web-site about the cycling games: [url="http://www.fantacyclo.com"]www.fantacyclo.com[/url].
Now this site is in Italian, but soon it will be translated in English, in Spanish, etc. The
registration is FREE.

Play the fantacyclo.com! It is very simple, easy, amuse! It is sufficient to
pronosticate a DIFFERENT cyclist every day and to control the personal position
in standing!
New competition: TOUR OF SWITZERLAND (free registration, enter now)
What do you wait?

Although I would not bet on it, remember that Cunego has improved enourmously in his chrono performances, as his results in the last TdF point out (all relative, of course).

I hope it will be a close battle with Schleck.

limerickman said:
20 second time bonus to Simoni for winning and he finished 30 secs ahead of DiLuca - in all he recouped 50 secs on DiLuca.
Grazie!

lw

padawan said:

Now if only he can hang on in the ITT, he'll have a podium spot. I think the Maglia Bianca is in the bag for him. Ricco faded at the end a little.
In my view Schleck has a slight advantage to hold the second place position over the other three below him. But it will be a very interesting and suspenseful battle for the podium positions 2 and 3. I wouldn't be surprised if they all finish within a 30 second bracket.

Today it will be a beautiful stage!
I think that the Giro isn't finished, because Schlek is more able than Di Luca, on chrono, and today Schlek can attack on descent from the PASSO DEL BALLINO (moreover it rain).

www.fantacyclo.com