Giro : Stage 18 : Sillian - Gemona del Friuli : 227kms

limerickman

Jan 5, 2004
Stage 18 Sillian - Gemona del Friuli is 227kms long and it is the second longest stage of this years Giro.

Described as a transitional stage, I'm not sure that this is going to be an easy stage especially given the fact that they have raced a lot in the past 2.5 weeks and given that the stage is quite undulating.

It might be a breakaway stage win but then again..........

Kiss of death : DiLuca.

limerickman said:
Kiss of death : DiLuca.
Would be good to see him make something of the Giro.
Isn't this stage another of Bettini's targets?

I agree that a breakaway is likely. Surely the CSC boys need a bit of rest by now.

Okay - at risk of sounding like a scratched record - Jose Serpa is finally going to come good!

I am going to go way out on a limb and I will pick a very big surprise winner, Jan Ullrich. They been talking about having him test himself once more before the end of the Giro. I dont believe they want to test him Friday or Saturday with all the massive climbing, and highly doubt he be testing himself on the final stage, a sprinters stage, so that leaves this one stage. I am almost positive a breakaway will go away, in reality CSC is only going to pay attention to 5 or 6 riders with the massive time gaps. The course is a rolling course, which fits Ullrichs style. Sounds crazy, but i figure its about as crazy as throwing 160 names in a hat and drawing a name out of it.

Now, as far as the GC race I believe you have a good chance to see someone shoot way up in the overall, because since only 1 rider is within 10 minutes of Basso, CSC basically only have to control about 5-8 riders from getting in the breaks, anyone else will be allowed to get away. But, you have several riders within 4-5 minutes of Simoni for the last podium spot, plus I still think Gutierrez is catchable with the massive climbing left. Liquigas, Saunier, Lampre and Discovery has a second rider within 10 minutes of Gutierrez. So ideally, if they can get that second rider in a break away, that would both take pressure off their team to chase down a breakaway, and put pressure on Phonak (and Saunier Duval depending on if Piepoli gets in the breakaway) to chase down the breakaway to retain the 2nd overall position (And 3rd for Saunier). By doing so, Phonak's team could be force to expend too much energy, and possible leaving Gutierrez isolated.

The big climb is a good way from the end so my pick is Bettini, he should be there at the finish. If he's not there then he could well not win the points jersey due to Basso currently leading that classification and there being two mountain finishes coming up. So Bettini will make an effort to be in the front group, and to win.

It appears that Gadret has abandoned . . .

He crashed and broke his collar bone

T'would be great see Charlie Wegelius win this stage : they've a 7min gap.

He works very hard for Liquigas.

Sorry to hear about Gadret - he was having a great Giro.

Did you see Basso stroking a liberty seguros rider on the back. Either consoling or being cheekish. Considering Basso being such a great modest guy I think he was being sympathetic. On the other hand he was smiling a bit....

It looks like a day for bettini the lads in form, shame he wasnt in this form in the classics. And basso the most dominant giro winner in years or what!:)

Basso is definetely superior, i fancy Schumacher today. I like his style. Bruseghin is deserving though.

limerickman said:
T'would be great see Charlie Wegelius win this stage : they've a 7min gap.

He works very hard for Liquigas.

Sorry to hear about Gadret - he was having a great Giro.
GB's first protour points are so close, so close. He only has to beat two riders (they ain't going to get caught now) to get the points.