Giro: Stage 4 picks

Bro Deal

Jun 26, 2006
The GC battle begains tomorrow with the first mountain top finish. The switch backed final ascent looks to favor a true climber who can accelerate out of the corners rather than a steady state climber. A rider like Savoldelli will be at a disadvantage even though he looked very, very strong in the TTT.

I think I will go with the young Ricco.

It will be very difficult for Vino to win anything in this year's Giro--unless there is a race between team cars. ;)

Time for a suitably complex set of predictions:

Cunego to take the stage, sprint victory over Simoni.

Small group containing Savoldelli, Popo comes in within the minute (probably within 30 seconds).

Another small group after that containing Di Luca (again within a minute of the group before them). Therefore Cunego goes into Pink.

Eldrack said:
Time for a suitably complex set of predictions:

Cunego to take the stage, sprint victory over Simoni.

Small group containing Savoldelli, Popo comes in within the minute (probably within 30 seconds).

Another small group after that containing Di Luca (again within a minute of the group before them). Therefore Cunego goes into Pink.
Thatis good.

I am thinking that Cunego and Simoni head a a small group and when Cunego goes for the win, Simoni allows Ricco to go for it also.

I think you are right about Popo. When was the last time he showed he could really climb? Even when he last did the Giro he was shaky in the mountains.

Di Luca is unknown. He could have a great day and be right up there with the best or he could fade as tbe pace notches up. I have my doubts about him and think Pellizotti may end up leading the GC for Liquigas.

I think Savoldelli may do well. He looks to be in killer shape and the gradient is not too bad.

I think today will be Di Luca's day.

N.B. on this finish, Di Luca won in 2001 and Cunego won in 2004.

Fine, as a hedge I will add Cunego.

By the way, surprise blood tests on seven teams, everything ok (that being a welcome change):

Astana
Fracaise des Jeaux
Euskaltel
Tinkoff
Lampre
Saunier Duval
Acqua e Sapone

Cunego, but the other major players will be pretty close. It's not a steep enough climb to produce a major selection.

And since it seems we're allowed a hedge, I'll take Ricco.

Raketmensch said:
And since it seems we're allowed a hedge, I'll take Ricco.

I'm watching the stage live on Rai's website and I'll second that, this hill-top finish being so early in the race, I reckon Ricco may light it up on the climb, before the strength gets drained out of his young body in the 2nd/3rd week.

Speaking of young riders who are good on the climbs, watch out for Matthew Lloyd if they let him loose. I saw him win a stage at Lake Mountain in Australia (a 20 KM climb, not particularly savage one, and also not against a strong climbing field - Gerrans and Lowe) but he won by about a minute and hopped off his bike at the top like he's just delivered the newspaper.

Strange that not all teams are tested. Advantage to Liqiugas, Discovery, Quickstep for this stage, it seems to me.
Powerful Pete said:
By the way, surprise blood tests on seven teams, everything ok (that being a welcome change):

Astana
Fracaise des Jeaux
Euskaltel
Tinkoff
Lampre
Saunier Duval
Acqua e Sapone

Powerful Pete was right. Di Luca takes it. Ricco second.

I thought Pellizotti was looking strong this Spring. Some comfirmation today.

Did anyone notice the speed bunch was going up the climb? Well, it isn't some brutal climb but still it's 15+ km. uphill and they were riding like they were on motorcycles.
Results of fight against doping are evident.

Results - Stage 4
1. Danilo Di Luca (I), Liquigas, 153km in 4:22:42 (35.173kph)
2. Riccardo Ricco' (I), Saunier Duval, 0:00
3. Damiano Cunego (I), Lampre, 0:00
4. Andy Schleck (Lux), CSC, 0:03
5. Stefano Garzelli (I), Acqua & Sapone - Adria Mobil, 0:03
6. Franco Pellizotti (I), Liquigas, 0:06
7. Luca Mazzanti (I), Ceramica Panaria - Navigare, 0:06
8. David Arroyo Duran (Sp), Caisse d'Epargne, 0:07
9. Emanuele Sella (I), Ceramica Panaria - Navigare, 0:13
10. David Zabriskie (USA), CSC, 0:13

Holy shizzle!

helmutRoole2 said:
Results - Stage 4
1. Danilo Di Luca (I), Liquigas, 153km in 4:22:42 (35.173kph)
2. Riccardo Ricco' (I), Saunier Duval, 0:00
3. Damiano Cunego (I), Lampre, 0:00
4. Andy Schleck (Lux), CSC, 0:03
5. Stefano Garzelli (I), Acqua & Sapone - Adria Mobil, 0:03
6. Franco Pellizotti (I), Liquigas, 0:06
7. Luca Mazzanti (I), Ceramica Panaria - Navigare, 0:06
8. David Arroyo Duran (Sp), Caisse d'Epargne, 0:07
9. Emanuele Sella (I), Ceramica Panaria - Navigare, 0:13
10. David Zabriskie (USA), CSC, 0:13

Holy shizzle!
Exactly.
He beat Simoni, Parra, Savoldelli, Popovych, Rubiera, Cuapio, Mayo, Piepoli...
New gear... Pardon me... Kid, on the block.

Andrija said:
Exactly.
I would have expected Savoldelli to be up with the lead group on a fast climb like that. I wonder if his legs were not up to the first climbing or if this is a sign of weakness.

GC now -- Zabriskie is surprisingly high (although I don't believe good results should be taken as a sign of doping, for reasons everybody is familiar with), and Simoni and Popovych surprisingly low. Also high is CSC's V Gustov. Popo is at 1'43", Simoni at a full 2'. Even Cunego is already almost a minute behind Di Luca.

1 Danilo Di Luca (Ita) Liquigas 14.26.10
6 Damiano Cunego (Ita) Lampre - Fondital 0.54
7 David Zabriskie (USA) Team CSC 1.03
8 Paolo Savoldelli (Ita) Astana 1.07

16 Volodymir Gustov (Ukr) Team CSC 1.24

19 Yaroslav Popovych (Ukr) Discovery Channel Pro Cycling Team 1.43
23 Gilberto Simoni (Ita) Saunier Duval - Prodir 2.00

Andrija said:
Exactly.

Savo at 43s ! shiesse ! to be honest and I'll watch the highlights tonight.... it wasn't a mountain mountain finish.... these short sharp babies are Di Luca's specialty..... Savo and Simoni like the long grinding mountains...

Bro Deal said:
I would have expected Savoldelli to be up with the lead group on a fast climb like that. I wonder if his legs were not up to the first climbing or if this is a sign of weakness.
He looked bad, exhausted... He was pale. And that wasn't at the finish, on about half of the climb.
Maybe that surprise doping control has something with Savo's today condition. Anyway, it seems like he didn't use rest day properly.