Giro: Stage 4 picks

ilpirata said:
Strange that not all teams are tested. Advantage to Liqiugas, Discovery, Quickstep for this stage, it seems to me.
Usually not all teams are tested on a particular day, if I am not mistaken.

whiteboytrash said:
Savo at 43s ! shiesse ! to be honest and I'll watch the highlights tonight.... it wasn't a mountain mountain finish.... these short sharp babies are Di Luca's specialty..... Savo and Simoni like the long grinding mountains...
Yes, this was the classical Di Luca finish. Let us wait for the real mountains, and I doubt he will be up in the top five then...

Powerful Pete said:
Yes, this was the classical Di Luca finish. Let us wait for the real mountains, and I doubt he will be up in the top five then...

I just saw the crash on EuroSport..... the road was like an icerink and brought 90% of the peleton down... Gazoprotto was first to fall.... the 20 or so riders that got through waited for everyone to re-join..... the other problem was that the road was so narrow the cars could'nt get to the riders........ Bettini road with ice packs strapped to his ribs for the rest of the stage..... they also mentioned half the teams bikes didn't make on the transfer during the rest day which meant most of the riders could go for a ride yesterday......

helmutRoole2 said:
Results - Stage 4
1. Danilo Di Luca (I), Liquigas, 153km in 4:22:42 (35.173kph)
2. Riccardo Ricco' (I), Saunier Duval, 0:00
3. Damiano Cunego (I), Lampre, 0:00
4. Andy Schleck (Lux), CSC, 0:03
5. Stefano Garzelli (I), Acqua & Sapone - Adria Mobil, 0:03
6. Franco Pellizotti (I), Liquigas, 0:06
7. Luca Mazzanti (I), Ceramica Panaria - Navigare, 0:06
8. David Arroyo Duran (Sp), Caisse d'Epargne, 0:07
9. Emanuele Sella (I), Ceramica Panaria - Navigare, 0:13
10. David Zabriskie (USA), CSC, 0:13

Holy shizzle!
CSC strikes again! Hmm, ...... a Riis 'vitamin' cocktail perhaps :eek:

Bravo Di Luca. He's back in form, but then again, the big mountains will tell the story.

Serafino said:
CSC strikes again! Hmm, ...... a Riis 'vitamin' cocktail perhaps :eek:

Bravo Di Luca. He's back in form, but then again, the big mountains will tell the story.

Agreed. Bettini looked in really bad shape... he's not well... about 3 minutes down and feeling very sorry for himself and sore......

Just caught the hour of highlights on Eurosport as well.

Nibali's really an impressive rider - I thought he did really well today leading the Liquigas team up the final climb.
This man is a talent.

Interesting finish today : the Killer sprinted well to get the win but Garzelli/Cunego and co were right there with him.

Love the Giro.

limerickman said:
Love the Giro.

Yes, the Giro has a certain charm about it that's hard to put your finger on. I almost enjoy it more than... dare-I-say...the TDF. Love the Italian commentary too, those guys really bring it to life.

Dave Z, hmmm, well it wasn't such a steep climb, they were doing around 35 kmph up it, and Julio Perez was climbing it on 53x19 so it wasn't a real climbers climb.

Andy Schleck 4th, that boy is one to watch.

Brutt, the main animator of the day, caught on the last climb finished 8:32 down - ouch! Its tough when the lights go out like that.

Eagle of Toledo said:
Yes, the Giro has a certain charm about it that's hard to put your finger on. I almost enjoy it more than... dare-I-say...the TDF. Love the Italian commentary too, those guys really bring it to life.

Dave Z, hmmm, well it wasn't such a steep climb, they were doing around 35 kmph up it, and Julio Perez was climbing it on 53x19 so it wasn't a real climbers climb.

Andy Schleck 4th, that boy is one to watch.

Brutt, the main animator of the day, caught on the last climb finished 8:32 down - ouch! Its tough when the lights go out like that.

Yes, there's a charm about the Giro and Italy which is just superb.
Just watched the gruppeto taking care of the Maglia Rosa after he fell.
Zanini helping the Maglia Rosa was really impressive.
Lovely to see that.

Yes, that man Schleck is a fine talent - I think both him and Frank are superb riders.
They're just finding their way.
I saw Andy in the final sprint.

And I agree - Pavel Brute deserved todays combativity award.
Heroic break.

I don't think that Di Luca will fade away easily this year. He looked very strong and in very good shape. I think he slightly botched his preparation last year and he hasn't made the same mistake twice.
Prudhomme and co should watch and learn how to design a great Tour route...

DV1976 said:
I don't think that Di Luca will fade away easily this year. He looked very strong and in very good shape. I think he slightly botched his preparation last year and he hasn't made the same mistake twice.
He is definitely looking good and his team is very strong as well. He will certainly be attacked though. Cunego, Pellizotti, Ricco, Garzelli, were all right there. Simoni we know has great resistance and can excel in the mountains. Savoldelli needs to get onto a long escape to become a factor, perhaps with someone like Andy Schleck or Sella. But I will be surprised to see it, because these last two defended themselves pretty well and may not need to risk all. Also,the big teams are loaded with climbers, so it will be hard for a mountain escape to succeed.

DV1976 said:
Yes, DiLuca will not fade away and neither will his team.
In contrast to CSC, Disco, Astana who are fairly middling and weak Liquigas is clearly very very strong. Perhaps too strong, eh?
We shall see.

As for the great route, check out the riders and their letter of protest about the horrendous rest day travel, poor planning, disorganization, waiting around, teams without bikes to train on etc etc.

I think most rides thought the TTT was sketchy, dangerous and stupid.

But I still love the Giro.

Well know Fact: The Giro is better than the Tour

Di Luca is going to remain strong, just like in 2005. I was expecting the same in the 2006 Giro, but he was way down. In fact he had a pretty **** year by his standards. Looks like he's back again at the top of his powers

...although saying that he did win a mt top finish in the Vuelta in 2006 to take the yellow jersey and then wasn't seen again. Strange.

I am glad Basso isn't there. Otherwise, an over doped Basso would have dropped everyone by some 2 minutes.

I think Di Luca is big favourite because the next mountaintop finish is short and steep and he might even gain some time. He will survive stage with Izoard, I don't think he can be destroyed during ITT.

Therefore, he might arrive ahead of his rivals for TRE CIME DI LAVAREDO stage and together with Zocolon they might decide eventual winner.